E
Just Said Yes July 2025

Open or closed bar

Emily, on June 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 39
Saved Save
What are your thoughts on open bar? Is it better to do it that way it better for everyone to pay for themselves. I have a lot of people who drink beer coming to my wedding stuck on what to do.

39 Comments

• Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly ·
    I personally think cash bars are a way to push the cost of your wedding onto your guests. I know in some regions people say that cash bars are the norm though. We paid a per person price for open beer and wine at our wedding and had no issues with anyone getting out of hand.
  • Melle
    Master June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    I think wine and beer are better for cheaper alternatives while having alcohol. Open bars are so pricey unless you really think your crowd will use it
  • Meghan
    Expert October 2019
    Meghan ·

I am not a fan of cash bars. When you invite a guest to your wedding, you are supposed to be hosting them, which includes their drinks. I also would not want to have to keep up with cash/my debt card all night long. We are having an open beer and wine bar and the cost, when you put the entire wedding into consideration, really is not bad.

• Margaret
    Dedicated June 2020
    Margaret ·
    I always thought that if you can afford it, an open bar is an important part of the wedding reception. I know that since I am doing a destination wedding, we're making sure that we have open bar and even booked an extra hour with venue. People are getting you gifts and some may be traveling to celebrate with you, it's a nice way to thank them.
  • Lauren
    Expert September 2019
    Lauren ·

You could always do open bar for beer and wine only and have a cash option for stronger drinks.

• FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

I think open bars are best, even if it's just beer & wine. We enjoy weddings a lot more with open bars.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    Guests shouldn’t have to open their wallets to pay for anything at your wedding. Your event, your responsibility.
  • Sarah
    Devoted June 2020
    Sarah ·
    Everyone on here always says cash bars are terrible, but I'm from the midwest and 90% of weddings I've been to, there is a cash bar. Sometimes with a keg or two thrown into the mix, but nevertheless, cash bar. Open bars have always been a surprise.

It is not like being at a wedding means you need to drink. If you don't want to spend money on drinks at a wedding, then don't drink at a cash bar wedding.

That being said, I'm not doing either, so don't come at me people!
  • Soon2Bmrsp
    VIP May 2019
    Soon2Bmrsp ·

I had an open bar and people are still talking about it, there was so many options of liquor and drinks. It was included in the price of the venue with the food so it really wasnt that bad

• C
    Dedicated October 2020
    Cristina ·

Personally we are having a cash bar but paid for a soft drink package through our venue. If guests want to drink then they at least have the option to purchase one but otherwise we're just providing soft drinks. I think it's up to you and what your budget is.

• Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    Do what you want. Every culture, region, circle has different standards. Just make sure your guests are prepared for a cash bar if that's the way you go.
  • Jessica
    Super June 2020
    Jessica Online ·

I don't mind a cash bar if we know about it, but I am also not a huge drinker. We are doing an open bar because a lot of the people we invited are big drinkers and we didn't want to have them pay for their drinks. We are paying $27pp for open bar for 5hrs, which is reasonable knowing that most people are going to drink more then $27 work. We will be closing the bar after cocktail hour for an hour until entrances, dances and dinner are over.

• Emly
    Expert June 2020
    Emly ·
    View Quoted Comment

This exactly!

• Stephanie
    Devoted November 2020
    Stephanie ·

I would not do a cash bar personally. If I am going to host something then I don't want my guests to have to come out of pocket for anything. But if there is going to be a cash bar then I would appreciate knowing in advance as a guest.

• CDickman
    VIP September 2019
    CDickman ·
    If you can afford to do whine and beer at least.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    In my area open bar would only be present in high formal or black tie events otherwise everything is cash bar. A LOT depends on the customs of your region. So take any comments on here with a grain of salt
    I do think if you want a black tie event then open bar is probably the way to go. But if you need to save money somewhere definitely cut the open bar first. If you know your crowd is mostly beer and wine drinkers then you can do open beer and wine only. A later night wedding I think is when people expect more hard alcohol so if you have an earlier dinner time wedding guests might not even notice.
  • Andrea
    Expert October 2019
    Andrea ·
    We are providing unlimited beer and wine to our guests.
  • Jennifer future Mrs. K-H
    Dedicated October 2019
    Jennifer future Mrs. K-H ·

Please do not make your guests pay for their own drinks. it's tacky IMO and a step away from making them pay for their dinner. do a beer & wine open bar to keep costs down if that is the concern. if you know you'll only have a handful of guests who will be drinking, see if you can do a tab bar and give them a few tickets at the very least. but please, no cash bar. it's considered rude in certain regions/cultures.

• Jennifer future Mrs. K-H
    Dedicated October 2019
    Jennifer future Mrs. K-H ·
    View Quoted Comment

I'm just curious what region you are from?

• Ashley
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ashley ·

We did an open bar and was such a good decision. Our family and friends are big drinkers and for us, it just didn't make sense not to do one. We wanted everyone to have a good time and not have to worry about potentially bringing their own alcohol. If your family/friends don't drink a lot, it could be more cost effective for you to explore the cash bar option or offer beer/wine as "open" and cash bar for any drinks made with liquor.

Comment on this discussion