Shelby
Just Said Yes November 2021

Open bar, Cash bar or No bar?

Shelby, on April 4, 2020 at 11:26 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 13
Saved Save
I’m trying to figure out the best way to serve drinks/alcohol or maybe not even at all. We’re expecting to have anywhere between 125-175 people. However; my fiancé side of the doesn’t drink. My side of the family doesn’t really drink a whole lot. My fiancé and I were okay with doing without a bar, my future in-law said “whatever you want we will be okay with”. My mother on the other hand keeps insisting that we “need” a bar. I’ve seen a lot of post saying that the thing guest remember the most about a wedding is the food and entertainment (music, dj etc). Which is why I’m stuck in between having some type of bar or none at all.
My sister got married last year, so yes my mother has been through this but also I love my brother in law but his family was one of those special families. Without going into great details, my brother in laws parents are divorced and it wasn’t a good situation and they don’t get along. On top of that, they drink a lot, I mean A LOT. I think my mom is still in the mind set that since they went through a good deal of alcohol than that means we will need to as well.
Does anyone have any good input or suggestions?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly , on April 5, 2020 at 10:43 AM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t do an open bar. I would just go with a wine and beer bar so that it’s more limited in options and cheaper.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I would do open beer and wine. That way, those who do want to enjoy a drink or two have the option and don’t have to open their wallets at your wedding. I would have a dry wedding over a cash bar.
  • Lunajay
    Super August 2022
    Lunajay ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yup I agree with Melle. No point of doing hard liquor if your families don't drink it like that. Just get a few bottles of red, a few of white or maybe a signature drink and some beer.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Another vote for limited open bar (beer & wine only).
  • Dierdra
    Super August 2021
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

You could do a wine and beer - or a open\cash bar. One wedding I went to put up a certain amount of cash (like a cash bar) when it maxed the bartender told a designated family member - in their case the dad - who paid the leftover tab for the bride/groom so it was technically an "open bar" but soda, wine, beer and a few mixed drinks. Their family wasn't big into drinking so the tabwas only a little over their cash amount.

• Jai
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    If not many people drink then I wouldn't do an open bar. Personally I would do a limited bar and if any beer/wine ran out then a cash bar.
  • W
    Super September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    Do the brother in law's parents need to be invited? Are they close to you? Their familial relationship would be too attenuated to warrant an invite from me, especially if they cause trouble.

I think most people would prefer cash bar to no bar
  • Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

If not a lot of people drink, then the open wine/beer bar should be totally fine. This would allow those who want a toast or something to have their alcohol, without costing you too much.

• Michelle
    VIP September 2021
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag

Maybe beer and wine for the first hour of dinner then cash bar afterwards.

• Sandy
    Dedicated December 2021
    Sandy ·
    • Flag
    I would recommend a limited open bar or give a max of what you’ll cover then convert to cash bar.
  • Fany
    Devoted October 2021
    Fany ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn't do alcoholat all. Saves so much money.
  • Allie
    Super November 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    I’d go for either beer and wine only or I would ask if you can do an open bar for a limited amount of hours. One of the venues we looked at said that we could limit the bar if we didn’t want to pay for it to be open the entire time because we had some similar concerns, a lot of our guests don’t drink. Our venue that we decided to go with includes the open bar and it’s super reasonably priced so we are having it, but originally when we were looking elsewhere we decided to only have like 3 hours open and the rest cash bar.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Beer and wine only or see if your venue offers a consumption bar since it seems like a lot of people won’t be drinking.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics