We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jessica
Beginner September 0021

Old Church Venue and Alcohol

Jessica, on February 25, 2021 at 1:03 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 13
Saved Save

We are getting married in an old church that has been converted to a wedding venue in September. What are your thoughts on alcohol in this sort of venue? Part of me is okay with the idea and the other part of me is sort of hesitant because I would not drink in my current sanctuary. Not that any one will be hammered drunk, just looking for other peoples points of view on the issue.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on February 25, 2021 at 2:21 PM
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle Online ·
    • Flag

What are the venue's rules? If it was currently operated as a church then I would not drink on the property. However if it is no longer a house of worship then have at it.

Most church venues only have social rooms big enough for cake and punch but no dancing.

• Jessica
    Beginner September 0021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

They only require that we have a licensed bar tender and buy the additional insurance if people are going to be drinking and then leaving the venue. ( I totally agree, hoping my guest are responsible, but want to be safe) It is no longer a house of worship, I really want people to dance and unfortunately, lots of people need alcohol to feel comfortable. Smiley sad

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

We actually had the exact same type of venue. An old church turned into and event space. We had alcohol and honestly I didn't even think twice about it because it was no longer a functioning church.

• Jessica
    Beginner September 0021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I love the Lord and want to be respectful of his house, but I guess our bodies are more important than the space! I just didn't know if people would think this is taboo.

• Ava
    Super May 2022
    Ava ·
    • Flag
    I think alcohol is absolutely appropriate in this venue. It may have originally functioned as a church, but it isn’t any longer.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    No opinion really. I personally wouldnt have alcohol due to cutting down on costs
  • Biaani
    Expert May 2021
    Biaani ·
    • Flag

I would also want to be respectful, and it sounds super appropriate to me. It's nice of you to think that way though. Have fun!!

• Expert September 2021
    ·
    • Flag

I would think serving alcohol would be totally fine! If the venue is a flipped church, I personally wouldn't feel like I was being disrespectful by drinking there!

• Apryl
    Dedicated March 2022
    Apryl ·
    • Flag
    If it no longer holds regular church service then I think it is OK.
  • Jessica
    Beginner September 0021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much!!
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I agree with others. Since it's no longer a functioning church, I don't see the issue with it.
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    It’s no longer a church. It’s an event/wedding venue. I don’t see a problem with it.
  • Samantha
    Super October 2022
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    If it’s a former Catholic church is has likely gone through a de-sanctification ceremony.
    Many Protestant denominations usually don’t consider the building itself sacred - the people gathered together are the church, that sort of thing.
    It’s kind of a gray area in the denominations that are close to the Catholic church - the “high church” ones like Anglican, Lutheran, etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics