We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ashlie
Savvy November 2020

Officiant

Ashlie, on September 9, 2020 at 12:42 PM Posted in Planning 0 12
Saved Save
Hello! I’m curious what you guys did for an officiant. My husband and I got married March of this year, but postponed the ceremony and reception we originally planned for in the spring, to this fall. We wish we had postponed later but do not have the option to. So since we are legally married, what suggested do you have for someone to unofficially officiate our ceremony coming up?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Morgan, on September 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would just ask a close friend or family member that's good at public speaking since they don't need to be ordained.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag

My fiance's aunt will be our officiant at both our minimony and bigger ceremony! She will complete the paperwork to make it legal after the minimony, but she will reenact it for the larger ceremony as well

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    We picked one of my fiance's friends to officiate our wedding! I would suggest picking a family member or friend who is good with public speaking to officiate.
  • Hermione
    Expert February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    I still would pick a professional for this. Many of them offer a discount on vow renewal because they don't have to paperwork.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Just ask a friend or relative since you already did the legal stuff.
  • Ashlie
    Savvy November 2020
    Ashlie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s a great idea, thanks! Family or friends really aren’t a true option for us just because we know none of them would respect our wishes for a non religious ceremony even if we have a script. Plus our friends are already in the wedding party so we really wouldn’t be able to take anyone from that lol
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

My grandma is ordained so we had her officiate the ceremony. She was so excited!

• Hermione
    Expert February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea, that's no good then. Professional might run about $100 or so for a non domination / non religious vow renewal around here. They charge less because there is less here paperwork for them here. Ours met with us via Skype and helped us write our atheist / sci fi ceremony.

We did dr who and star trek quotes for the readings and legend of zelda for the ring exchange. There was also a brief description of our relationship (how we met, etc) and a quick intro but no God or religion.
  • Hermione
    Expert February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    *they charge less here because there is less paperwork here.

I am recovering from dentistry I apologise for the typos
  • Ashlie
    Savvy November 2020
    Ashlie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your vows sound awesome! I never would’ve thought to incorporate any of that the way y’all did. I love it! Thanks for your input too!
  • R
    Savvy October 2021
    Ruby ·
    • Flag
    I asked a friend to go online and complete a course to be ordained. Cost $40 and I went online to gather officiant templates and edited one to my liking. We postpone our wedding to next year but still plan on having a ceremony with 10 friends this October
  • Morgan
    Beginner September 2020
    Morgan ·
    • Flag

We got married legally at the courthouse a few weeks ago because we didn't want to have an unknown officiant at our 15 person minimony on the 26th and online ordination isn't valid in our state. DH's brother will be doing the ceremony for us on the actual wedding date. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics