Annie Adams
Super April 2013

NWR - Paying it Forward to animals in need - IT WORKED

Annie Adams, on August 6, 2014 at 7:20 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 15
Saved Save

Some of you may have seen my latest posts about bringing home our new fur baby Ditto. But there was also a side-story to Ditto's, and it both broke and warmed my heart.

We got Ditto from a shelter and he was on a 5 day hold. Well, in my family, we treat animals like little people. And there was no way we could leave the newest little member of our family alone while he waited out his hold time. So we visited him every day, for at least a couple of hours.

While we were there, it was hard not to look around and see the other dogs there. It broke my heart; so many of them I wanted to save too. Some were way too active, loud or aggressive for me to even consider it. But ONE dog stood out.

His name is Duke. He is a 5 year old, 80lb, blue staffordshire terrier. For those who arent familiar, think "Huge Pitbull with a Humungous Head." But he was calm and quiet. When the keepers took him for walks, he didnt pull on the leash or growl at any other dogs.

(Continued in Comments)

15 Comments

• Annie Adams
    Super April 2013
    Annie Adams ·
    • Flag

As you can imagine, not only did we take note of one of the few quiet dogs in the kennel, but we were a little stunned to see a peaceful dog that size.

We even went in to pet him, just to see if he was as kind as he seemed. The answer, more so. He was a cuddler and a licker.

But since we already planned on bringing home our puppy, and we have a cat at home, we just couldn’t see how to bring home this BIG dog. But we had to do something, right?

Well, it turns out the shelter had a way for us to do that. We SPONSORED Duke. We paid a little over half of his adoption fees; trying to encourage anyone who’d be able to give him a home.

IT WORKED! When we got home with Ditto, we were all set to start a campaign to get Duke a home. But within two hours of us sponsoring Duke, the shelter website updated him as “Adoption Pending.”

We honestly cried. It was amazing to feel like we saved Ditto and Duke yesterday.

Bryan and I have been so blessed the last two years; a supportive family, a picture-perfect wedding, a new home, and now a super sweet puppy. It feel so good to pay it forward to another animal in need, even if we couldn’t share our home with him.

• E
    Master July 2015
    Emma ·
    • Flag

You did an amazing thing! Thank you for not giving just one pup a new home, but 2!

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

Awww you are such a sweet angel for helping this dog find a home! Can you call the shelter to find out about the adoption? It'd be wonderful to hear about the family that big pup gets to live with! I'm really happy everything worked out!

• Annie Adams
    Super April 2013
    Annie Adams ·
    • Flag

Happy, I was thinking we might go by today and give him some toys to take home.

But really what I'd love to see is other people donate toys, time or money to the shelters. We had already decided to donate blankets to the shelter, but I was thrilled we could do something for the two dogs who really stood out to us.

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

No making me cry before 9 AM, okay? You rock!!

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

Yay! He looks like a sweety. That's how we got out baby from the shelter. He was the only one not barking, he wasn't pacing back and forth, he was just lying there like "Please get me away from these loud pups..." and he never pulled on the leash when I took him for walks there. So we adopted him! He's been almost perfect ever since we brought him home this past April. They think he is around 2 years old. He was at that shelter for almost 6 months and that shelter saved him from being put down at another shelter because he was there too long. The first shelter picked him up as a stray. He has marks on him from dog/animal fights, is missing a tooth and is skiddish of loud noises. But now that he is getting comfortable in our house he is the BIGGEST goofball ever! Pitties tend to be VERY affectionate. This buddy never really had a home so he's not used to cuddling and giving kisses, but he is starting to! I just LOVE those pittie smiles and how goofy they are Smiley smile

• Annie Adams
    Super April 2013
    Annie Adams ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! Its amazing to see all the support people give here.... on any topic!

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Aw such a great story. So nice of you to do something like that. As a pittie mommy, I definitely have a soft spot for them. <3

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Here's a pic of my rescue girl

• Annie Adams
    Super April 2013
    Annie Adams ·
    • Flag

Courtney, shes gorgeous!

• Debbie
    Super May 2015
    Debbie ·
    • Flag

I love it when people adopt their pups! Thank you for doing that! My old boss and his wife sponsor 5 dogs!!! It's amazing! Me and my husband went in looking for a dog a couple years ago and right away fell in love with one...well all of them really! I can't wait to have a bigger place so we can adopt another one!

• The Mrs R
    Master May 2014
    The Mrs R ·
    • Flag

Aww what a good story!! DH and I struggle with not adopting every single dog in the shelter, too.

• Annie Adams
    Super April 2013
    Annie Adams ·
    • Flag

Yep. We had a heck of a time not bringing home more than 1. Thats for sure!

• Mrs. A & J
    Master December 2014
    Mrs. A & J ·
    • Flag

Awwww that's so incredible!!!! I foster dogs when able, and it is the most rewarding thing ever. If your ditto and kitty don't mind an occasional friend, I highly recommend giving it a try. Its added stress but the benefits are just.....words cannot describe it. Giving them the "freedom" ride, watching them learn what its like to be loved, and finding their perfect forever home.....and knowing that because of YOU, an animal has a home....in my opinion, its the most rewarding thing I do with my life!! Many many thanks to you for adopting AND reaching out to an additional, especially a bully breed!! All animals are deserving, but darn it if I have a special place in my heart for bully breeds

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Thank you. Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion