Mrs. Spring
Master April 2021

Nothing but a Number

Mrs. Spring, on August 26, 2020 at 2:13 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 44
Saved Save
What is the age difference between you and your significant other? I'm a decade younger than my FH and many people are surprised when they learn this.Nothing but a Number 1
How many years apart would you consider a true "age gap relationship?"

44 Comments

Latest activity by Hannah, on August 28, 2020 at 11:20 PM
  • Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    We’re 2 1/2 years apart
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    FH is only two years older than me, but to me it’s more about maturity level than how many times you’ve circled the sun.
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

My FH is 7 years older than me. But everyone thinks we are around the same age.

• Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    There are 3 years between myself and FH – I am 3 years older than him. I would consider 10 years or more an “age gap relationship” (less if you were talking about people in their teens or 20s, maybe even 30s, because there tends to be such a huge difference in emotional maturity and just where you are in your life at those points)
  • Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag

My boyfriend is 5 months, and 9 days older than me. but overall I would say as you get older a 10 yr gap is fine.... a 16 and a 26 year old SHOULD NOT be together until they are older.... but a 21 and 31 and up is no problem

• Erin
    Expert May 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I definitely agree... it's a maturity thing really

• Sakina
    Expert January 2021
    Sakina ·
    • Flag
    He's 8 years older than me!
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

My FH is 6 years older than me. As long as everyone is 18 plus its okay.

• Sherri
    Devoted August 2020
    Sherri ·
    • Flag
    I'm almost 10 years older than my husband. We laugh about it. Just recently his mom learned my age 🤣 I didn't know she didn't know. It doesn't define us or bug us.

Erin said it best when she said it's a maturity thing!
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    We have a four year age difference
  • Breann
    Devoted June 2020
    Breann ·
    • Flag

8 years here.

People assume it's more because his hair is starting to go gray and thin, and I look a few years younger than I am. lol.

• Bo Miller
    Expert December 2020
    Bo Miller ·
    • Flag

I am 3 years older than my FW.

• Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

My husband is 1 and a half years older than me

• Taran
    Expert September 2020
    Taran ·
    • Flag

I'm a year older than my FH. I agree with PPs that once you look at 10+ years it'd be quite a difference, but in my opinion who cares. I love love

• M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

How many years apart would you consider a true "age gap relationship?"

My brother married someone 20 years younger than him; I consider that a true age gap relationship. I agree with others that it's not really about the number (as long as both are consenting adults!) but more about the maturity level. Unfortunately my sister-in-law is super immature for her age. So, while she is 30 and he is 50, they seem MANY generations apart in how they act, view the world, make decisions, etc. It's honestly kind of painful to witness.

But the age gap between couples is never something I think much about or have opinions on when I meet a couple in general. Only if one or both of their behavior/actions makes it noticeable.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    There are two years age difference between me and my fiance. I agree with previous comments, I think 10+ years age difference would be considered an age gap relationship. I don't think there's anything wrong with having an age gap though.
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

FI is about 10 months older than I am. In my previous relationship he was 4 years older than me, which I considered to be an age gap at the time (we dated for a few years starting at 16/20, but he was immature for his age so it evened out).

As an adult, I would probably consider an 'age gap' to be 5 years apart and up.

• Marcia
    Expert March 2021
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I are a month apart. I did date some older guys and was actually surprised I ended up with someone my age. I think the stereotype of the rich older man and the trophy wife colors a lot of people's view of great couples with big age differences
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    My husband is 7 years younger than me.
  • Erin
    VIP December 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

My FH and I are only about a year apart. My best friend, however, is about 20 years younger than her FH. It seems insane to me, but they're in love so who am I to judge?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics