We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

J
Dedicated November 2021

Nontraditional Wedding Dresses

J W, on August 5, 2020 at 2:19 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved Save
Anyone else going with a nontraditional wedding dress have any shopping tips? I know I don't want to wear white, but I haven't had a chance to try anything on (mostly due to COVID) so I don't want to just order online since I don't know what shape I want. Having a hard time finding any shops that sell different color evening dresses that don't look like they could be bridesmaid dresses. (I also live in the middle of nowhere so that helps too ) Really appreciate any ideas Smiley smile

11 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on August 5, 2020 at 10:42 PM
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I also live in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive 3 hours to my closest wedding dress store. I think online would be your best bet.

• Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    Do you have an example of a dress you like?
  • J
    Dedicated November 2021
    J W ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Nontraditional Wedding Dresses 1
    I've been thinking something like this for awhile now but I'm very undecided. I have found some shops that this designer sells at but they're all more than a 15 hour drive away from where I live. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I was just hoping for other ideas as well that might inspire me.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I bought an evening gown. But it looked really bridal. It’s good to go nontraditional just because it tends to be a significantly cheaper price
  • Jasmine
    Rockstar January 2022
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    If you're having a difficult time looking for shops to physically try on dresses, you can try Azazie online. They have a try before you buy program. Just order different silhouettes to see what you would like. I got my dress from a bridal resale site called Stillwhite and it looks exactly like the photos.
    Nontraditional Wedding Dresses 2
    Nontraditional Wedding Dresses 3

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Do a Google search for evening gowns to see what shops are local to try them on. Etsy is another option.
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    Have you tried Amazon Prime Wardrobe? You can get up to 7 items and try it own no charge unless you keep it past 7 days. Also if you keep an item and pay for it, you still have 30 days to return.
    I think Azazie also offers trials?
    Have you called some bridal shops asking about different styles? Then setting up an appointment to try on those styles?
  • Chrysta
    Rockstar November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    Nordstrom, Saks 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus... all carry quality evening gowns and offer delivery & free returns.
  • Annie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Annie ·
    • Flag
    I checked return policies and just purchased several dresses online to try on. (David’s Bridal, BHDLN, Needle & Thread, and ModCloth) I had a fun Group FaceTime with my mom and bridesmaids. They helped me select one and I returned the rest.
  • J
    Dedicated November 2021
    J W ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The Amazon prime wardrobe is a great idea! I'll have to look into that! And I haven't gone to any bridal shop because the closest one is four hours away. I'll probably go with everyone's suggestions of just ordering from sites that allow free returns.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie Online ·
    • Flag
    Mine was lavender, and it was a bridal gown. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of designers that make non-traditional wedding gowns. Also, bhldn (anthropologie's wedding line) has some really beautiful things. Blush and blue-gray have been popular in the last 5 years, so I imagine that a fair number of designers would have it. If you want to be really non-traditional, look up Claire Pettibone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics