Kara
Just Said Yes February 2020

Non-traditional wedding dress... Dirty looks & insecurities

Kara, on August 4, 2019 at 12:31 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved
So today at a family party I told my future mother-in-law and a few others of my fiance family that my dress was going to be pink. They all took a second and gave me a look before saying anything. And then once I told them it is a layer skirt and a corset they took ANOTHER second and gave me ANOTHER look. I feel so insecure now about my dress that I don't know if I am going to be comfortable in my dress now! Smiley sad

Is anyone else having these kinds of situations/feelings about their non-traditional wedding???

Non-traditional wedding dress... Dirty looks & insecurities 1

15 Comments

Latest activity by MrsV1027, on August 20, 2019 at 7:55 AM
  • Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

It's your wedding, not theirs! Please don't let them cause you to doubt yourself. You can wear anything to your wedding that you wish. If you wanted to dress up as a unicorn, that'd be totally fine! People are always going to have opinions, but stay true to yourself! Your dress is beautiful Smiley heart

• Michelle
    VIP December 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

It's your wedding and you can wear what you want but in my opinion that looks more like a costume. But it's still YOUR wedding and you can wear what you want

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Wear what YOU want Smiley smile people will judge regardless of what you do so ya may as well do what you'd be happy with
  • Cynthia
    Devoted November 2019
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    Don’t let their judgmental keep you from wearing the dress you want. I think your dress is beautiful and unique, many think you have to stick with traditions which is not the case this is your day wear what makes you feel beautiful regardless of others opinions.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Well I like it! It's your wedding and you can wear what you want. They should bite their tounge and deal with it.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Don’t let other people tarnish YOUR day. Where what you want and do what you want.
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Agree with others that you get to choose your own dress. At the same time, I'm guessing you know you've chosen something pretty nontraditional, so it shouldn't be shocking when people react. People often have expectations about social behavior and when we violate those expectations there is usually some kind of a response. If you like your dress, then I'd try to ignore the reactions and go about your business. If it's critical to you that others approve of your choices, then you might want to reconsider your choice. You're entitled to choose whatever you want, but in the same vein others are entitled to not necessarily agree with your choice. Based on your post, they didn't SAY anything negative; you interpreted their nonverbals to be less than enthusiastic. As is often posted on this forum, you're entitled to your feelings, but so is everyone else.

• Ashley
    Savvy September 2019
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    My dress is pink too!! Wear what you want! At the end of the day you look beautiful and you’ll feel better knowing you went with your gut and wore what made you happy Smiley smile
  • Katelyn
    Dedicated September 2021
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag
    The way I see it is that it's YOUR wedding not theirs. Wear whatever makes you happy.
  • Selena
    Super September 2019
    Selena ·
    • Flag
    It's beautiful, and flattering!
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag
    White wasn't even a traditional color in Western culture until Queen Victoria wore it to her wedding as a symbol of her wealth. She picked the least practical color to show that she could afford to buy a dress for one day only. That wasn't until the 19th century. Up until that time, women would just wear the nicest (ie cleanest) dress in their wardrobe. Its symbolism for purity came way later.

I'm wearing a lavender dress. My mom is awesome and an artist, but even she gave me side eye and said "I hate that idea" when I told her I didn't want a white dress. She came around within 30 minutes. FH was a little leery at first, but he knows that I'm a weird artsy nerd and not just being different for the sake of being different. He eventually said "as long as it's not black," lol. He doesn't know what color it is. Only a few people know it's not traditional.

You're brave enough to be you. Go for it. My only advice is to make sure that your dress, no matter the color, is the level of formality that you want for your occasion.
  • Kiki
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kiki ·
    • Flag

It's your wedding wear whatever you want!

• Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Wear what makes you happy. I regret going with the flow and going for a traditional white gown. It’s not every day you get married!
  • Meaghan
    Savvy October 2021
    Meaghan ·
    • Flag
    It is YOUR wedding. If your “non-traditional” dress makes you feel beautiful and matches the feeling of the wedding, don’t second guess yourself.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I wanted to wear a pink dress! I was going to have the dress I bought dyed but then I needed several grand in car repairs so that didn't happen.

Like others said wear the dress you love. You are the bride not them.

My mom assumed that since I was wearing a tea length dress and converse that it was a dress down wedding. Her and my dad didn't look like they were going to a wedding and I'm a bit insulted that she wore a dress to a coworkers wedding and my dad actually got a hair cut for it but she opted to wear basically brown khakis and my dad looked like he hadn't even brushed his hair for my wedding. But I felt beautiful in what I chose to wear and my DH loved my dress and really that's all that matters

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics