N
Beginner February 2020

Non traditional dress nerves

Nicole, on November 18, 2019 at 8:28 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved Save
So I purchased a traditional wedding dress a couple months ago. It’s a pretty dress but the main reason I got it was bc it was on sale for. $170. I was having some regret about getting something so traditional bc I’m not. I tried it on recently bc I lost weight and it’s now very large on me. I went back to the store to see if they had a smaller size and they do, but it’s no longer on sale and that was the main reason I got it. As I was leaving a different dress caught my eye. I guess it’s supposed to be a prom dress but I like it a lot. It’s gold and shimmery (can’t reall tell in the pics but it’s very sparkly). That dress was on sale and fit perfectly so I bought it. Now I’m wondering if I should also get the first dress altered to fit in case I change my mind. Also concerned the new dress may not look bridal enough. Interested in opinions on the dresses and regret not wearing a traditional. I can’t figure out how to get pics of both on here so am going to try to put them in the comments. TY!

21 Comments

• N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Original dress
    Non traditional dress nerves 1
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Non traditional dress
    Non traditional dress nerves 2

• Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I think they are both gorgeous but the gold one doesn’t look much like a wedding dress to me! My thought is, you could wear the second one to another black tie event but the first one is distinctly a wedding dress and your wedding would be the only opportunity to wear it.

Just my thoughts though, I always wanted a traditional white dress!
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I think the gold dress is way prettier. If you aren’t traditional and don’t care about wearing a white dress just for the sake of it, then don’t do it! A veil would make your gold dress look more “bridal,” but if you’re the bride, then literally anything you choose to wear on your wedding day is bridal!
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was thinking about a veil. Bc the dress is so much on its own I want to keep other things simple, but would a white or ivory veil be too stark a contrast? That’s the other thing making me nervous. I love this dress but I have no idea how to accessorize it!
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Is this your wedding gown Nicole? It's beautiful!! Did you always want a gold dress? 💛

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think the gold dress looks better on you. You could always wear both Smiley smile
  • Reena
    Dedicated July 2020
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    The gold dress is gorgeous on you. If you aren’t traditional and that won’t bother you in the future then go with the gold!
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I vote for white!
    I was actually thinking about getting a gray wedding dress and all of my married co workers told me that I’ll regret it once I see my photos.
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I, personally, like the gold dress better! Who cares if it isn't traditional or white?! If you are not a traditional person, then it sounds like the gold one fits your personality better!

However, if you are worried about it not being bridal enough, you could always wear the traditional gown for your ceremony and change into the gold dress for your reception!

• Jeanie
    Rockstar February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag
    I really like the gold dress, but I’m also all for non-traditional dresses. You could easily make it more “bridal” by adding a veil and some simple jewelry. I would go with either an ivory or gold veil, probably something with a raw edge as to not take away from the dress. But you need to decide if you really want a gold dress. It’s fine that we like it on here, but you’re the one who’s going to be staring at the pictures for the rest of your life. If the gold suits your personality, go for it!
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you all for the input! I think my plan is going to be for the gold dress and try to bride it up a little more, but I’ll keep the white as a backup incase I get cold feet 😅
  • K
    Dedicated July 2020
    Kimber ·
    • Flag
    You do whatever makes you feel beautiful! And if you change your mind about wearing the gold one, then you can wear the white one for the ceremony and then change into the gold one for the reception. You already own them both! You look lovely in both dresses!
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Jennifer
    Super September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    I vote gold. The silhouette is very similar to my gown which is a light gold (it's basically just an antiqued ivory) and it looks good on you.

Some accessory ideas: add a belt that brings in the color of the veil. Ivory has yellow undertones and may work well here.
    Forgo a veil and do a shawl/bolero to match a hairpiece.
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s incredibly helpful! I never would have thought to add an ivory belt. I do have an ivory shawl already bc the wedding is in February. Also have ivory fingerless gloves (I got all this to wear with the first dress but feel like it should translate just as well)
  • Jennifer
    Super September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You can also just do a blusher veil if you're into vintage looks. I might. Still debating. Here's my dress so you can see where I'm coming from regarding yours. Yours actually looks so much like Milo from Sottero and Midgley, just in gold. Both are considered modern vintage dresses. But, see how mine has the belt. I feel like you can get a similar feel and tie in "bridal" by choosing ivory accents.
    Non traditional dress nerves 3
  • L
    Dedicated June 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    I would wear the dress you live whether it is bridal or not. Now days, it is kind of up to you and you don’t have to follow traditions. It’s your day. Wear what suits your style and wear what makes you feel beautiful. Don’t be influenced by friends or family that have their own opinions. It can make you go crazy!
  • N
    Beginner February 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! And that dress is gorgeous!

• Aimee
    Expert July 2020
    Aimee ·
    • Flag

White for ceremony and gold for reception.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics