Skip to main content
OnTheWayToMrsA
Super August 2017

No Show Guests?

OnTheWayToMrsA, on August 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved

Hi everyone! For those of you who are already married, approximately how many no-shows were there? We had a venue minimum of 150 but only 125 are coming (we followed the decline guidelines of assuming 20% will say no.. had more than that, sadly). I'm already nervous about the room looking empty, but even more so if people who said "yes" don't come. Is it common for people not to show up?

20 Comments

Latest activity by July18Bride, on August 6, 2017 at 3:49 AM
  • A
    Just Said Yes September 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

For our Venue, we must double check head count at 14 days. I've worried about this a little too. We have 5-8 out of 66 non reliable people. Plus, my family and I are constantly on the rocks. I just have to remember it is my special day regardless of who is there. Also, my venue is gorgeous,with or without a crowd.

• OnTheWayToMrsA
    Super August 2017
    OnTheWayToMrsA ·
    • Flag

I'm just nervous about it looking or feeling empty in such a large room. There was a head count mix up for my bridal shower and we had an ENTIRE table that was empty. It didn't really change the party in any way, but it certainly was noticeable and a bit sad looking :/

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·
    • Flag

225 said yes. 1 was a no-show; her father was seriously ill, in another country, and she had to fly home. I was just glad she got to see him, before he passed.

• Jessica
    Devoted June 2017
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

My minimum was 130, 105 rsvp'd and 103 actually attended. It didn't look empty but I think it was mostly bc of the layout of the venue. The tables weren't split in half with the dance floor in the middle, it was towards the front of thr venue and all tables were together. Our dance floor was kind of small, but it worked bc our crowd wasn't a huge dancing crowd.

• OnTheWayToMrsA
    Super August 2017
    OnTheWayToMrsA ·
    • Flag

@Jessica Thank you, that's encouraging! Our dance floor separates the tables, but hopefully that won't be an issue. Tomorrow is our final appointment at the venue so I'll be discussing this, of course. When I noticed our guest count was going to be lower than anticipated, I called to ask about it: I was told that 150 fills the room nicely, but 125 is still a good amount.. "once it goes below that, however, it starts to become a bit noticeable." We're at exactly 125 right now, 127 if we count ourselves, so we should be fine.. but that's why I'm worried about no-shows :/

• Sos0033
    VIP September 2017
    Sos0033 ·
    • Flag

Our reception space technically holds over 300, 350 I believe actually. We're expecting 190-195 people and I don't think it will look empty at all. We did a tour where the room was set up for 175 and it looked great. Plus, there's a low likelihood all your no shows will be at the same table, so it won't be noticeable.

• A. L.
    Master July 2017
    A. L. ·
    • Flag

We didn't have any no-shows that I could tell. We had one couple RSVP yes and then back out the week of the wedding.

• LanaKane
    Super November 2017
    LanaKane ·
    • Flag

If your venue has table of varying sizes, you could use more of the smaller tables to fill the room.

• Sagan
    Super July 2017
    Sagan ·
    • Flag

We had 200 rsvp yes and about 8 no shows

• Hannah
    Super August 2017
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

I think you can arrange tables in such a way that it doesn't look empty.. I'm worried about no-shows because its money wasted. My ex coworkers son got married a couple years ago and apparently they lost like $1-$2k on account of no shows. Rude.

• Nadia
    Master June 2017
    Nadia ·
    • Flag

88 rsvp'd yes and 86 showed up( both were sick).

• GymRat
    Master May 2017
    GymRat ·
    • Flag

Hey OP! I had 7 no shows. We invited 190 and 150 accepted. Chateau Briand does a minimum too - 125 for the room we booked.

Don't worry about it. I promise you that you will not notice at all! There's so much activity going on that you'll only be focused on the good stuff.

Of course you will can always do a WW table - I will bring a generous cash gift LOL!!

• OnTheWayToMrsA
    Super August 2017
    OnTheWayToMrsA ·
    • Flag

LOL!! Omg, don't think I hadn't considered that! I won't B-list anyone, but it's also 2 weeks away and I'd like more guests since they're paid for anyway (we guaranteed 150). What's a girl to do? Send out an invite on WW, that's what lmao!

• KittyPrawn
    Master June 2017
    KittyPrawn ·
    • Flag

85 said yes. 2 never showed up.

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

We didn't have anyone just not show up. We had some people who could not attend at the last minute and let us know after the final numbers were due. It ended up being 8 adults and 3 kids. We had about 140 guests.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

We had 75 RSVP yes and all 75 showed up. Now, we invited 165, so...there's really no such thing as a decline guideline because it's unpredictable and can be affected by a lot of factors.

You can try talking to your venue to see if instead of a headcount minimum, you can treat it like a spending minimum. Really, they want to make sure you spend at least the cost of 150 guests. Ask if you can use the money that you're paying them for the 25 people who won't be there and use it on upgrades (extra apps or an app station, upgraded bar, added dessert table, late night snack, uplighting, etc).

• EM
    Master April 2017
    EM ·
    • Flag

Out of 54 "yes" RSVPs we had 52 guests. One was seriously ill and we found out the morning of that she wouldn't make it, the other just flat out didn't show.

There isn't really any way to predict how many of your guests will show, unfortunately.

• Monica
    Expert July 2017
    Monica ·
    • Flag

We had 72 RSVP and only 2 no shows.

• Maggie
    Savvy August 2017
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

My wedding is 3 weeks away and we are meeting with our venue next week to give definite count and final payment. We had to guarantee 150 (FH wanted the full ballroom and 2 bridal suites) and as of now with the vendors, kids, and counting me and him we are at 143. I know that's not too much off but we sent double the invites and had TONS of no responses (mostly FH family). We do have a handful of people that are flaky and I am worried that will do a "no show" and it not be an emergency. This may be inappropriate to say but I was raised that if you respond yes to a wedding and end up not going last minute you are to still send a gift monetary or not. It may be old school Polish (my mom drilled it in my head) but that's what I have always thought but my FH never has heard of that and neither couple of people I know. Which does suck since you are paying over $100 for their meal. SO I am praying no one does a "no show". BTW I am also worried about my ballroom looking empty having less than 150 people.

• July18Bride
    Super September 2022
    July18Bride ·
    • Flag

My friend invited 100 and about 80 showed up to hers. I am inviting 170 so I wonder too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics