We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Aida
Devoted August 2020

No kids

Aida, on March 20, 2020 at 6:51 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Saved Save

Okay guys, your all wedding experts so I have a question for the experts. My good friend has a 5 yr old ish son. She and I have known each other for a long time as work best friends until she had to leave work because she was going to have her son. We've been keeping in touch online for may years and are both supportive of each other. She was elated with news of my upcoming wedding and I naturally invited her. Anyways, she knows that even though I love and support her, I am not the most child friendly person and have made it clear on my wedding website that kids are not the intended audience for this adult wedding. She asked me if she could bring her son. Right off the bat I want to say no because if I let her bring her kid, I hav to let everyone else bring their 8 kids and I'm out of room and money. My question is how do I say no without sounding like a shew beezy? She's still my friend and I would love to have her there, just without her kid. I know my request is controversial but in the end of the day, it's my wedding and I'm footing the whole bill and this is what I want. I even accept that she might not come without her son and that's sad but okay. How do I word no?

6 Comments

• Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    Sorry. We've opted to have an adults only evening.
  • Andrea
    Super May 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    Exactly as above. Simple and clear with no openings for discussion or up for interpretation.
  • H
    Devoted June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

Agree with PPs. Also, these days, adult only weddings are extremely common and your request is not controversial at all!

• Samantha
    Rockstar October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    “I’m sorry, but the event is adults only. I sincerely hope that you can still come, but I understand if that changes your RSVP.”
  • Erin
    Dedicated April 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    We are also having an adults only wedding, and recently found out my FH’s cousin planned to bring her children but not her husband. Our save the date was clearly addressed to her and her husband (I’ve never met either one), and not the family. That being said, I told my future MIL to let her know we could try to find a sitter if she needs one, but kids aren’t invited. Maybe you could offer to find her a sitter if she is coming from out of the area? Otherwise, just make sure you’re clear on where you stand Smiley smile
  • Nefetera
    Super March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Hey
    Saying " we have decied not to have no kids at our wedding" just letting her know that's your wishes

Comment on this discussion

Related articles