CoCo
Dedicated October 2014

Nicknames after Married... Random Thoughts.

CoCo, on July 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 17
Saved Save

So I've been thinking about nicknames. Currently, everyone at my office calls me "Benni" as it's derivative of my current last name. But what happens when I take on my FH's name, Cohen?!

I LOVE my nickname... Someone suggested CC but that reminds me of The Nanny.

Anyone else on the brink of a nickname change?

17 Comments

• Christina
    Devoted April 2014
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Actually before we got married my husband called me by my last name a lot. As a playful thing that kind of stuck after awhile(sounds kind of weird when I think about it but it was normal to me lol). So after we got married, he's like aww man I can't call you that anymore lol. Very Cute moment!

• Samantha
    VIP August 2014
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

My FH calls me by my current last name and he'll continue to do so after the wedding. I'm used to it...my dad calls my mom by her maiden name and they've been married 31 years

• Tracy
    VIP February 2015
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

All of my friends call me Tre' P. (a shortened version of my name Tracy P.). I imagine that will continue after I get married too. People still refer to my mom by her pre-married initials and my folks have been married for 41 years!

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

My sister is a teacher and our maiden last name is Urban so all her students called her Urb. I don't know if some of them still do, but her new last name isn't as catchy! That'll be hard to transition, luckily I was only known as Urbs by some friends in high school but people don't use it anymore.

• Kendra
    Super May 2015
    Kendra ·
    • Flag

You don't have to change your name. I think more women should start questioning that tradition. It has very anti-woman origins. You don't have to just blindly do it because everyone else does.

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

^^ She never asked your opinion on if she should change her name or that she did/didn't want to. Some of us want to do it.

I think you can still have your old nickname! It's a nickname, as long as they know when to use your new "proper" name, still calling you Benni is totally fine.

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·
    • Flag

My friends call me Shwayz all the time which is based off my last name. I don't think they'll stop after I get married because many of them literally NEVER refer to me by my first name.

• Silan
    Master April 2015
    Silan ·
    • Flag

Wow Kendra. Some of us actually may be proud to have our new last names! Guess we're less of women now, eh? smh.

I use Silan as my username for everything. It's sort of a nickname I have for myself and is a combination of my first initial, middle initial, and the first 3 letters of my last name. So its going to be different now. Sicam just doesn't sound right.

• kaylarae
    Master April 2015
    kaylarae ·
    • Flag

I've had friends call me "kp" since 7th grade... I never even thought about that until now! Sadness ... KW doesn't have a ring to it

• Hailey
    Super October 2014
    Hailey ·
    • Flag

@Silan- the username thing has definitely been on my mind. Especially with all of the social media people use these days! I have been trying to come up with something new, too.

• Mrs.Matthews
    Master January 2015
    Mrs.Matthews ·
    • Flag

Oh no! Fh calls me "Bam bam" don't laugh :p but off my last name. Also I am in the army so I feel like I am changing my first name. No one there knows my first name, what if I don't know when people are talking to me? lol Like "hey Matthews" ew that sounds boyish.

• ELFie
    VIP August 2014
    ELFie ·
    • Flag

My best friend's dad still calls her mom "Spence" (variation of her maiden name). They've been married over 30 years and it has stuck. People can continue to call you whatever they want!

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I have a few friends that still call me by my old nickname " K DUB" based off my maiden name. I never really thought it had to change, and I don't think it has to/should. I proudly changed my name to my husbands, and if someone gives me a new nickname I will embrace it, but I'm not going to tell people they have to call me by a new nickname.

• C
    Master June 2015
    ChampagneDream ·
    • Flag

Hmmm... we go by last names at work because there are two Jess's. I guess I won't be "Albright" anymore haha

• Lady O.
    Super March 2015
    Lady O. ·
    • Flag

I go by Lady B at work because I share a first name with someone else. I'm just telling my clients to keep going by that because it's easier than trying to teach old dogs new tricks.

• Emma
    Master October 2024
    Emma ·
    • Flag

They could call you Henni. Smiley smile

• jenna_
    Master March 2015
    jenna_ ·
    • Flag

Everyone calls me JJ because of my initials. They realized recently that I'm not gonna be "JJ" soon. Haha. Idk what they will call me...

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics