Photography was one of the most important things to me but we were still on a tight budget. I ended up finding a really good photographer in our budget, fast forward to engagement photos. I loved them but at the same time they weren’t exactly the quality I was expecting. A lot of them were out of focus so I started to be a little nervous. When I started looking at her instagram more I realized she hadn’t actually shot a lot of weddings, most of her pictures were from styled wedding shoots or second shooting with other photographers..
Now fast forward to a few months ago I noticed she hadn’t posted anything on social media for months (she’s always really active on there) so I was a little concerned. The other week she posted that her dog doesn’t have long to live and she’s completely stopped taking pictures, editing pictures, everything photography related until he passes because she’s spending 24/7 with her him. It’s an incredibly sad situation and I really do feel for her but with my wedding being in less than 3 months I’m getting really really nervous about how this is going to go.. I don’t want to sound insensitive by any means but I just needed to get this off my chest!!
I agree with RaylaSan. I'd reach out to her and see how she's doing, but also see if she'll be ready to photograph for you. Better to find out now and have some time to find a new photographer, than wait and have her back out last minute plus struggle to find a replacement.
Did you sign a contract with her? Would you be losing a significant amount if you cancel with her?
View Quoted Comment
I agree with this - would you be willing to lose your deposit to find a different photographer who is definitely available on your date? If you signed a contract with the current photographer, and if she can't guarantee that she'll be at your wedding due to her current situation, then she should refund your deposit. It also sounds like you're a little concerned about the quality of her pictures. Personally, I would start looking at other options for those reasons.
Thanks everyone.. I did sign a contract and I know the deposit is non-refundable, I’m not sure about the monthly payments we’ve been making. Even if we could get most of our money back I kind of feel stuck with this photographer because it took forever to find someone in our budget, I don’t think we could even find a replacement at this point. I am a little concerned with the quality but overall her quality is better than most i’ve seen at the price range we can afford 😩
View Quoted Comment
That makes sense! I would maybe reach out to her then to say that you saw her post about her dog, and that you were so sorry to read that! And then ask about whether she thinks she'll still be able to photograph your wedding, or if not, does she plan to send a different photographer in her place?
That way, you'll at least have an idea of what's going on, and hopefully some reassurance that your wedding will still be photographed.
I would definitely start looking for another photographer. Photos are one of the only things you have left to remember your wedding day so it is important to make sure you have a reliable photographer who can take beautiful pictures. Since you already have engagement photos, you might be able to negotiate on price since a lot of photographers include engagement photos in their package. I personally thing photos are one area that it is okay to spurgle on.
I would re-read your contract. Our contract states that if our photographer cannot make our date work for some reason out of her control, like a death in the family or something similar, our photographer will give us a few contacts to reach out to and take over the day, no extra cost. If you have a clause in there, I would wait a bit and ask her what that may look like if the situation is still what it is now. If you don't, I think you should reach out to her. Just make sure you tell her you understand what is going on so that she sees that you're not trying to be a jerk about it and just trying to make the best decision for both you and her. Then if she doesn't give you a clear idea I'd start looking around.