P.F.
Super May 2018

Natural nails?

P.F., on April 15, 2018 at 8:26 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 18
Saved Save
I never know what category my posts go under lol.

I've only ever gotten my nails done once in my entire life and I HATED it. Hated everything about it. I wanted to do it because I knew FH would be proposing sometime soon and figured I'd do something special. I vowed to never do it again.

For the wedding I'd like to go with just my natural nails because they're long and pretty but I usually end up with one or two fingers with a short nail because I jacked it up some how and filed it down. I also thought about painting my nails but I can't think of what color I should use because whatever color it is, that's it. I can't do designs or anything fancy.

Do y'all think it'd look okay to have natural naked nails even if I have one or two shorties? It's not like I'm taking zoomed in pics of my hand or anyone will be focusing on each specific nail.

Or do you think I should at least paint them? If so, what color? For our colors think wildflowers. My dress is white and my bouquet is white and coral pink.

Or do you think I should suck it up and get my nails done again?

18 Comments

• C
    Devoted September 2020
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    At the very least they should all be the same length. If you have to cut and file one you should cut and fil all of them.
  • mjfortwedding
    Expert April 2018
    mjfortwedding ·
    • Flag
    I personally don’t love getting my nails done but I’m a nail biter and I have been getting the gels for the past 4-6 weeks I know it’s not great for your nails but it keeps them from breaking and I can get a color too.
    Its a person choice though. If you really don’t want to get them done then just go natural if you’re going to do any ring shots just remember that they won’t look “dolled up” for those
  • Sara P.
    VIP October 2018
    Sara P. ·
    • Flag
    I don't think you need to get your nails done but I think you should paint them. It's a special day. I can't help with color bc I have no idea for myself. Lol
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You're right but I'm not happy about it lol.
    Until recently my profession prevented me from being able to grow nails so now that I can I'm so protective of their length. It's silly, I know
  • J
    Savvy August 2018
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    Have you tried press on nails? I'm thinking of doing those just because nails is not where I really want to spend money at. Someone else started a post about the qaulity of them and some people posted pictures.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Fair enough! I think painting them is a good compromise but I'd have to buy new polish since the colors I have wouldn't look good. So that's a solid maybe. Good luck thinking about which color you'll use ☺
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'll have to look for that post. I haven't considered that at all. I've never tried them before but they seem popular. Thanks!
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    You could just get a manicure and have them make your nails even and nice and neat with a clear top coat. That way if you don’t want colors on your nails then you don’t have to. Or you can get a manicure and have them do a color. Yellow may be a nice choice
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I like the idea of a clear coat. It'd be pretty and simple which is the whole idea of the wedding anyways ☺
    I never would have thought of yellow. This intrigues me. Picturing it it looks pretty but I think your clear coat idea fits more. Thank you for your input!
  • K
    Devoted October 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    I like getting gel nail polish done. It just like regular nail polish but doesn't chip for two weeks or so. Although you will probably need to go to a nail place to get the nail polish off because it needs to sit with nail polish remover for a few minutes and then they scrap it off. But it isn't bad for your nails like getting fake ones.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    You should keep all your nails the same length. Painting a clear polish or very light shade of pink would be pretty.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Really? I've heard about the gel but never looked into it. I hated how ruined my nails were for so long after getting the fake nails. It's good to know there's an alternative
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ooh light pink would be pretty!
  • K
    Devoted October 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am not sure how many places do it but it is usually just OPI polish or something like that. I hate the fake nails too because it destroys my nails.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

At minimum I would cut the long nails down to the same length as the shorter ones and make sure you do good cuticle care and moisturize. If you haven't, I would look into SNS. I've done acrylics and they destroy my nails but I really enjoy SNS.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I would recommend getting a strengthening clear coat to use to help prevent your nails from cracking so they can all be longer. Also even a clear coat will make your nails look more done on your wedding day. People will be looking at your hands quite a bit since they will be asking to see your ring(s) and your photographer may want to photograph you and FH hands with your rings.

• dancingwiththekumars
    Expert May 2018
    dancingwiththekumars ·
    • Flag

I've only gotten my nails done about 3x, I don't care for it either. BUT I do paint my nails at home, I hate when nails look raggedy lol.

I think you should just get them done. Even a basic service will add a lot to your photos. Coral is a beautiful color, and will look great.

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's not a bad idea and you have a good point

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics