Skip to main content
Anne
Savvy August 2020

National Park Wedding

Anne, on July 22, 2018 at 10:42 PM Posted in Planning 1 13
Saved
Hello all! My FH and I are looking to hVe a small wedding (18 guests or less) in a national park. Has anyone done anything like this and have any hot tips? Most of the blogs I’ve stumbled across are for National Park elopements and we are hoping to learn more about the logistics of something a smidge bigger! Thank you! ☺️

13 Comments

Latest activity by caitlin, on June 4, 2019 at 11:40 PM
  • Gonnabeaburch
    Super July 2019
    Gonnabeaburch ·
    • Flag
    I don't have much advice for you, but we are looking into a similar wedding. We have more guests (63 on the list including FH, our kids, and I, likely closer to 50 will attend) we are looking into 3 venues (saw the first yesterday) and 2 of the 3 options have at least the ceremony in the state park. Next weekend we are checking out option/venue 2 (and my personal favorite idea) which is a group campground in one of the national forest park in our state. We would have the ceremony, reception, option for our guests to camp out (tent or RV) at the grounds with us, and a morning after breakfast all at the campground. It will be a lot of work, and will likely limit our vendor and entertainment options, but I honestly think it would be amazing! I'd be happy to share ideas and thoughts with you if you would like.
  • Maren
    Champion October 2021
    Maren ·
    • Flag

Hi Anne! I love this idea! Are there any specific national parks you have in mind in particular? Smiley heart

• E&M
    Master July 2016
    E&M ·
    • Flag
  • Hunter
    Dedicated May 2020
    Hunter ·
    • Flag

I was considering it but once I looked into it, there can be a lot of hoops to jump through. You may need certain permits for music, number of guests, if you're having rice, confetti, or sparklers. Things like that! But, look at the website for whatever national park you're considering and they should have all the info right there!

• Anne
    Savvy August 2020
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for the links! 😊
  • Anne
    Savvy August 2020
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We are thinking very very low key. The only vendors we are planning on hiring for our ceremony are the officiant and a photographer. The one I’ve done the most research into is Acadia which only requires a $50 permit if you are more than 10 people. The plan for the reception would be to hike back to town/meet the less able bodied people back in town at a restaurant for dinner.
  • Anne
    Savvy August 2020
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve looked mostly into Acadia, but Crater Lake, Zion, and Arches have all come up on my search. My best friend has suggested Iceland as an alternative, but I’m not sure that everyone of our 14-20 guests actually have passports.
  • Anne
    Savvy August 2020
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds awesome! If you come across any tips I would be delighted if you shared them! We are thinking of having the reception in a restaurant to avoid all the extra permits for having food/beverages in the park.
  • Maren
    Champion October 2021
    Maren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Anne, I love these ideas! A few other thoughts, I've seen some couples go to Horseshoe Bend in the Grand Canyon or do their wedding in Sedona, Arizona! Red rocks, nature, and blue skies all-around.

Check out this article of 20 Mountain Wedding Venues , a lot of them are National Parks too and might interest you.

Love My Life Photography National Park Wedding 1

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

The complaints I've seen is music because speakers aren't allowed, and neither are loud generators. So lighting would also be a problem.

• Anne
    Savvy August 2020
    Anne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Gotcha! We are planning on keeping this super small so we wouldn’t have lighting or speakers for the ceremony. But thank you for the info!
  • Dorothy
    Just Said Yes May 2019
    Dorothy ·
    • Flag
    My partner and I are actually planning the same sort of wedding! We’re even looking at Acadia (although Zion is our favorite). From my research, the only thing I’m slightly anxious about is making sure my photographer has the correct permits. In some parks the permit to get married isn’t enough, your photographer will still need another to take pictures. Some photogs do offer packages where the permit is included, you just have to look for them!
  • C
    Savvy November 2020
    caitlin ·
    • Flag
    We are planning something similar for fall in Arizona. What about battery operated Christmas lights for the pavilion? And I know big speakers and generators are a no no but what about a blue tooth speaker?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics