You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Brittany
Master April 2019

Naked/semi-naked Cakes?

Brittany, on March 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 18
Saved Save

This question is for those who have had naked cakes, either at their own wedding or someone else's. What did you honestly think of it?

I come from the camp of those that think the best part of the cake is the icing. I know the "look" of it is "in" right now but how do they actually taste, being so light on icing?

This one I found on Pinterest would fit in with my theme perfectly, down to the sunflowers and accenting purple flowers. I love the look but I don't want to sacrifice taste for a "look", when I could just add a normal amount of icing and do the same with the flowers.

Any input is appreciated Smiley smile

ETA: I know I'll form my own opinion when I go for my cake tasting, but I'm genuinely curious what others think, because I'd want my guests to enjoy it too. I'm not eatin' that whole cake myself lol

Semi Naked CakeNaked/semi-naked Cakes? 1

18 Comments

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·
    • Flag

I think naked cakes are already on their way out. In many cases, the cake ends up dry because there just isn't enough icing to keep it moist.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

I'm not a huge frosting fan so that would be a draw to me. At first when i saw them i was like wtf??? but they've grown on me. When they are well done they are gorgeous.

• Sarah
    Master June 2016
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    The one wedding I’ve been to that had a naked cake, the cake was pretty dry by the time they served it. I’m not sure how long before that it was cut, though. I’m also team give me all the icing so that may have altered my opinion some.
  • AllieB25
    Expert October 2018
    AllieB25 ·
    • Flag

We're doing a semi-naked cake. I like the way they look, and I'm not really into frosting. One thing that our baker told us when we did our tasting is to go for semi-naked, rather than naked. Like pp said, frosting is what helps the cake retain its moisture so a truly naked cake can dry out really quickly and won't taste very good by the time you get around to eating it.

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    • Flag

We had a naked cake. It was moist and delicious and had plenty of layers of ganache and frosting in between that the frosting on the outside wasn't missed at all.

Naked/semi-naked Cakes? 2

Naked/semi-naked Cakes? 3

• firstoneat56
    Master August 2017
    firstoneat56 ·
    • Flag

Like most trends, this one is likely petering out. I think most traditional wedding cakes are over frosted, and I think fondant is disgusting, so I think a nice, thin layer of frosting is good. Your cake is going to be seen for 5 minutes (sure, there will be pictures but I promise you, you won't be framing a picture of your cake and hanging it in the house) so go for taste over looks. Other than some non-professional attempts. ,I've never really see an "ugly" wedding cake. Your guests will care a whole lot more about the taste of it than the looks of it.

To add, don't have or not have frosting because you or your FH don't like it. Have what you think most of your guests will like.

• Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    I guess you could consider our cake "naked"

I will admit it was drier than the one from our tasting and our replacement cake. Naked cakes had their moment but I think they're on their way out.

Honestly, dont choose a cake based on a trend. We chose our cake because it's something we both love and eat outside regardless of occasion! I think it's importance to choose a cake based on taste so you have a happy memory of feeding each other (which is symbolic of taking care of each other for the rest of your life)!
  • Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Oops here's our cake out in the buff!

Naked/semi-naked Cakes? 4
  • Michelle
    VIP September 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Were doing a naked cake as our “display” and cutting cake. Then the guests will eat from sheet cakes. I’m hoping that prevents any “dry” perceptions of our cake. Although, we did a trial run with our baker and the cake lasted over a week, perfectly moist still. I was really impressed.
  • AD2AP
    VIP June 2018
    AD2AP ·
    • Flag

I don't like a lot of frosting, but I think naked cakes look terrible and I have heard they are almost always very dry... but if you like it go for it!

• Powers2
    Master April 2018
    Powers2 ·
    • Flag

We tried to stay away from anything too trendy in general.

• Allison
    Expert October 2018
    Allison ·
    • Flag
    From someone that makes wedding cakes, they're horrible. I hate them. They get dried out, they don't look nice, etc..

The semi naked aren't so bad for small cakes.
  • magnolia5
    VIP June 2019
    magnolia5 ·
    • Flag
    I think when they're done right and fit the overall feel of the wedding, they can be absolutely beautiful.
    I won't be doing one because I love frosting too much and I'm trying to stay away from trendy things.
  • Nicole
    Devoted September 2019
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What kind of cake is this?
  • Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s a coffee cake wedding cake!

the top lighter part was the crumbly cinnamony part of coffee cakes. She made it taller to look cool. It was heavenly and really really good after a year (we froze it).
  • Nicole
    Devoted September 2019
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sounds delicious!
  • Nicole
    Devoted September 2019
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Absolutely gorgouse