Skip to main content
Jessica
Savvy November 2019

My wedding planner said a seating chart is not necessary...

Jessica, on October 7, 2019 at 7:00 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 36
Saved

My wedding is consisting of 79 adults, 5 kids & 7 babies. While I do see the benefits of not doing a seating chart (mostly less stress for me), I see major benefits for doing table assignments. There are going to be several people there who don't know anyone else (and I thought grouping them by age & interests), large families, I wanted to put special wedding favors out for the kids (and not get any of the adult's wedding favors), not to mention his mom's 2 previous husbands plus her current one will all be there. I just don't understand her logic. I immediately emailed back letting her know I think it is necessary. I know the major consensus is to have table assignments, I just wanted to see if any one can provide input so that I can think of it from a different perspective?

36 Comments

Latest activity by Yoice, on October 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM
  • Da Mom
    August 2022
    Da Mom ·
    • Flag

I think your planner is nuts! I’ve been to 2 weddings without seating charts and can assure you the angle you are looking at it from is correct. Do a chart!

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Unless you have a lot more tables and chairs than people then you definitely need a seating chart!
  • M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    I’m not having a seating chart(80 guests) and I didn’t at my first wedding 22 years ago either(300 guests). There wasn’t an issue at all.
  • Da Mom
    August 2022
    Da Mom ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Maybe not an issue you were aware of. I never complained to the either couple that didn’t do a chart. The most recent one had 250+ guests. When it was announced to sit wherever you’d like everyone scrambled to find seats together. I had to move over several times trying to get all of our group in place. I saw some groups get split up. This all occurred while the couple was in another room waiting to do their grand entrance. Many guests commented how awkward it was but I’m sure the couple thinks it was just fine.

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Honestly I think they are really helpful and it’s your wedding so do what you want.
  • Dynesha
    Devoted June 2020
    Dynesha ·
    • Flag
    Our caterer requires a seating chart and a table assignment for each guest since we are having a choice of chicken, beef, or vegetarian plated meal. We only have 50 guests so it’s not so bad. I think you should at least have table assignments for each guest.
  • L
    Dedicated September 2019
    LJ ·
    • Flag
    It depends on your format. We had a cocktail style wedding with 125 guests and I’d say there was enough seating for about 100 in total, and no seating chart or assigned tables. Overwhelmingly, there were plenty of empty chairs around. Most people were up, mingling, dancing, enjoying the food stations, etc. That said, while your planner is correct that you don’t *need* a chart or table assignments, you have specific reasons why you would want them. I think for a seated dinner, table assignments are helpful and guests expect to be given some direction.
  • Desiree
    Super March 2020
    Desiree ·
    • Flag

I have only 25-30 people at my wedding, and I definitely doing a seating chart. By ALL means, I'd do one. Smiley heart

• Megan
    Expert October 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I did one so I knew there would be spaces for larger families together *especially ones with children* and so our families would be closest to us. I love everyone who is coming but I want our families be be nearest to us.
  • Andrea
    Super May 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    I think your planner is wrong too. Without assigned tables people won’t fill the tables out evenly and you’ll have to add extra seats and tables, which makes the room look unfull.
    You know best who should sit with who. You and your fiancé are probably the only 2 people that know everyone attending. You are absolutely the best people to decide who sits with where. I can’t believe a wedding planner would think this is a good idea.
  • Julia
    Dedicated October 2020
    Julia ·
    • Flag
    We’re having approx 150 guest and we are not doing a seating plan. Everyone there will no at least a couple other people and we just wanted people to sit where they are most comfortable and I don’t mind because it saves me stress.
  • Erin
    Dedicated October 2019
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    We’re having 96 guest and we’re doing table assignments. I think it’s necessary so people don’t have to rush and fight to find a table. I was in my cousins wedding a year ago and she had open seating and it was a mad dash and scramble to find seats. We ended up adding extra seats to one table so we could all be together. People spend most of the reception worried about seating than enjoying it
  • Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    No, you don’t need a seating chart but you can definitely have one if you want one. So, yes, create one.
  • Sarah
    Devoted November 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I think it would be wise to have assigned seating. And it sounds like you think so too. Aaaaaaand it's your wedding so you get to do what you want.
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    Hi there:

You should at least have assigned tables. If not, there could be some over crowded tables and then some not as full ones. People want to sit with people that they know.

I placed 1. co-workers, 2. family, and 3. friends together. This way, they knew at least one person at the table.
  • NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    • Flag

I would do a table chart (assign people to tables) it is so much easier on everyone when you do it!

• karen
    Master October 2017
    karen ·
    • Flag

Your planner seems VERY inexperienced. I would assign tables. There are some groups who will want to be together (families), some who want to be seperate

• Lynne
    Super August 2022
    Lynne ·
    • Flag
    I was married before (same guy I'm marrying this time, long story). We never had a seating chart for our first wedding. No problems whatsoever. It was family and a few friends, everyone mingled with each other.
  • Caitlin
    Savvy October 2019
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag

Definitely have a seating chart. At least assign tables. Every wedding I have been to that didn't have one was a circus when they said we could sit. People got annoyed with people they didn't know bc they wanted that table for their friends/family, people got separated, and overall it was super stressful. Did we tell the Bride/Groom? NO! I don't think you're getting an honest answer when a bride/groom says "we didn't do seating charts/assigned tables and everything was fine!" No regular person is going to complain to the couple and they're also not there (usually) to see the chaos ensue. We are doing assigned tables for 100 guests. Sure maybe a few people will wish they got to sit with "so and so" but we tried very hard to sit people together and it's only 30 minutes of their evening. I would much rather someone be a little annoyed that they didn't get to sit with x, y , or z then to know that while I am getting ready for my grand entrance everyone is scrambling for tables and chairs only to probably not end up with everyone they wanted to sit with anyway.

• Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    It also doesn’t really matter if it’s necessary or not— if you want it, DO it! Another good example is favors. They’re not necessary, but they can be nice. My husband really wanted to do them , so we did! Cost us a little money but it certainly didn’t have any negative effect on anyone else to do them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics