C
Dedicated November 2018

My fiance lost his job today.

Carmen, on August 20, 2018 at 9:55 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved
I dont know what we are going to do. We have 3 kids and bills. This happened at the worst time possible. Do we cancel and miss out on money? Any advice would be awesome. Positive vibes and prayers please :'(

10 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on August 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM
  • Kristina
    Dedicated July 2019
    Kristina ·
    • Flag
    Oh no!! Don’t freak out! Have him go on indeed, monster, any job posting site, or newspaper and just mass send out his resume!!! Employers will be calling for interviews! Have him send out his resume to companies everyday! He will find something quick!
  • Laura
    VIP November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t push the panic button just yet. FH may find work quickly, and you can proceed without a hiccup. For now, just take a deep breath, a couple days to gather yourselves, then start figuring things out.
  • C
    Dedicated November 2018
    Carmen ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is in November. We have rent due and the reception money due at the end of the month. I can't stop crying. You girls are right I will not give up just yet.
  • G
    Devoted September 2019
    Gell ·
    • Flag
    Were you planning on spending your emergency fund on the wedding? If not, then you have savings that will cushion the blow for a few months.In the meantime he can work full time at applying for a new job, and pick up whatever casual work he can on the side. It is scary to be unemployed but this is when you both need to pull together. If he is at home, can you pick up extra work? Babysitting for night shift workers can be quite lucrative. You get paid for sleeping and can still do your regular job or look after the kids during the day.
    Did he get laid off or fired? Is there any severence pay?

• C
    Dedicated November 2018
    Carmen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    There's no emergency fund. We were paying off things slowly on our own. We still owe about 5k. We both work night jobs but it's not much. His day job is what paid most of the bills. No severance pay. It was through a temp agency and they just didnt want to pay him it's cheaper to hire temps
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't cancel so quick. I'm assuming that you already have the majority of the wedding paid for and you don't want to lose what you've already invested. Have him start applying for jobs ASAP, look at the budget, and decide on the best plan of action. If he was hired through a temp agency, are they willing to place him with another company?

• Tara
    Master September 2018
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I dont know many people with emergency funds to last them a few months...
  • Laura
    VIP November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This. When I had temp jobs, as soon as one ended they had another assignment for me. His temp agency needs to be his first call.
    Then all the other temp agencies in his field.
  • C
    Dedicated November 2018
    Carmen ·
    • Flag
    Temp doesnt have work nearby right now. But the plus side is that he has interviews lined up for tomorrow! Some places took his info and seemed impressed so I think he will work soon after background checks. Thanks so much for the positive feedback!!
  • Brittany
    Dedicated July 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I'm just gonna be that person and say it... he could qualify for unemployment..
    Also you can push back the wedding too. I'm sorry!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics