We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

RaylaSan
Rockstar February 2021

My Feb. 2021 wedding is coming up and i need to know what are some good covid precautions?

RaylaSan, on November 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 23
Saved Save

I believe someone already made a post about this, but I, for the life of me cannot find it anywhere, so I'm just going to make a new one.

Anyway, long story short, I'm set to having my wedding this upcoming Feb. 2021, with around 150 people invited. And instead of forcing our guests to get a COVID test that can be pretty pricey from where I'm from, my fiancee and I are just going to make this wedding follow the social distancing guidelines as close as we can.

So far, we are providing masks and gloves, and we are also going to be putting up hand sanitizer stations in every corner of the room, as well as on every table. We also went as far as to choosing a new venue that has over six restrooms! Our wedding even went from a buffet, into a plated reception. I even went as far into making social distancing pins, and everything.

I honestly don't know what else we could be doing, obviously we're spreading out the tables and everything, but is there anything more we can do?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Samrawit, on November 29, 2020 at 7:15 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I think everything you have planned for precautions sounds great! The only other thing I can think of is if you limit the number of people seated at each table? For example, if the table normally holds 8-10, maybe limit to 4-6 people, and space the chairs out?
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Seems like you have everything covered. Lisa’s idea on limiting the amount of guests per table is awesome!
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Real talk:

To have the best COVID precautions, either this wedding needs to be outdoors, or you need to eliminate about 95% of the guests.

Where I live, indoor gatherings are currently limited to 10 people, outdoor to 150.

Unfortunately, with an airborne disease, inside celebrations are high-risk, unless you have the most advanced HVAC, open windows, masks, AND social distancing.

If you're stuck with the numbers, though... I don't know if everyone can quarantine for 2 weeks ahead of time.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about this - my family just changed our very small gathering (5 people) to an outdoors picnic in NYC tomorrow. So... I get it.

• A
    Super September 2020
    Alli ·
    • Flag
    Sadly, I agree with Rebecca... as a healthcare provider, yes, masks and hand sanitizers can help slightly, but at the end of the day, it’s airborne. Either have the wedding outdoors or reduce guest list or risk being liable for guests’ illness or even death 😞 My city just ran out of covid tests and all of our hospitals are overcapacity. Best wishes!
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree here. Honestly it is up to your guests to be responsible at this point and how close they get to people and what not. When I went to my aunts wedding I was double masked and kept my distance.

• RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

No problem, I totally get where you're coming from, but this is a decision that my fiance and I made, and a risk we were willing to make.

Of course, we're going to encourage guests that are feeling sick to stay home, and watch our live stream, but as things are, my fiancee and I just could not postpone the date any further.

Also, unlike a lot of people, my fiancee and I were both fortunate and in ways unfortunate to have the chance to not self-quarantine when the COVID-lockdown first happened, as we both were deemed as essential workers (both of us have non-medical jobs). While all our family and friends hunkered down, my fiancee and I went out everyday and worked, and despite both of us working in jobs that had a lot of foot traffic, and had us interacting with people everyday, we both were fortunate to have never caught anything.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with Lisa
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I agree with Lisa. Also it's people's choice to take risks. You cannot eliminate everyone's risk with Covid unless you live streamed everyone and had zero vendors.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with Rebecca.

What state are you in that you're allowed to have a gathering that size?

It sounds like you are taking a lot of precautions, which is great. But at the end of the day, masks and hand sanitizer only help minimize the spread by so much. The most effective means of minimizing spread is social distancing, and a lot of research suggests that the 6 foot rule is really not far enough. I'm not sure how big of a space your venue is or if it's indoor or outdoor, but 150 people is a lot.

The numbers are increasing again in my state, as well as in a lot of places. I'm not sure where you are. I work in a medical rehabilitation hospital for people recovering from things like spinal cord injuries, strokes, etc. We are no longer allowing visitors for patients due to the increase in covid cases in our state to minimize risk of it being brought into the hospital. We've also had a number of Covid-recovered folks who have a litany of post-covid complications. Some of these people have been isolated from everyone they love in a hospital room for months, only seeing masked and gowned strangers.

I know the restrictions suck. But, not to be grim, the alternative is worse.

• Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

We're in your boat as well. Seems like you have pretty much all covered. Our venue is also planning on taking everyone's temp upon arrival. Our venue is two stories and we will possibly have tables on the second floor as well to social distance.

• Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

All of this! I completely agree with Rebecca. You don't want your wedding to be the next super spreader event, so with 150 guests, I'd make sure to have everything outdoors at the very least.

• Jodie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Jodie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with Rebecca as well. You can try to be as careful as you can with the distancing during the ceremony and dinner, but will there be alcohol and dancing? If so inhibitions are let down and social distancing goes out the window. I understand that adults have their right to say they don’t feel comfortable going, but what about those closest to you (parents, grandparents, etc) that wouldn’t miss it for the world? It’s them you have to think about. Trust me, I get it, this whole thing sucks and I hope that everything works out for you. But as someone who works in a hospital and with covid patients, I can tell you things suck a whole lot more on that side of the fence
  • Emily
    Dedicated August 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag

I agree with Rebecca as well. The reality is that large scale weddings right now, like the one you want to have, cannot be entirely safe, especially if they're indoors. You may think now that it's ultimately everyone's choice to come or not, and they take on that risk. But if someone gets seriously ill, or god forbid dies, because of it? I absolutely guarantee you will regret it. As someone who is on wedding date #4 because of COVID (originally date was literally the week COVID began, sigh) I know how you feel, but we have to think beyond ourselves right now.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    In addition to my previous comment, I also agree with Rebecca. I initially overlooked the estimated guest count you listed, but Rebecca brings up a great point. With all the other COVID precautions you're taking (and also maybe minimizing the number of people at each table), I would also strongly consider limiting the guest list a bit more or see if you can move things outdoors, especially if cases are spiking in your area. 150 is a larger gathering than what many states are permitting right now.
  • Arianna
    Dedicated September 2021
    Arianna ·
    • Flag
    I think the precautions that you are taking are great! Maybe give everyone there own individual hand sanitizers as a thank you gift for coming? We don’t know what’s going to happen in 3 months the fact is no one does. 150 people is a lot but if you feel like it’s right and your venue is okay with it then go forward with it. That’s on you guys and your guests. Everyone can use there best judgment and if they aren’t feeling well try won’t come.
  • Katie
    Expert January 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    There are not enough precautions that can be taken to make a 150 person wedding safe in 2/21. Reschedule your date, downsize or expect a super spreader event.
  • RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone for your concerns, but please understand that I have no intention of postponing my wedding any further.

My fiancee and I will have our wedding no matter what. If only 30 people end up going, and the rest cancel on us, than we'll have the best celebration ever.
    We aren't forcing any of our family and friends to be there, there will be a live stream of the wedding regardless.
  • S
    Devoted November 2021
    Sara Online ·
    • Flag

Unless something magically changes in the next 90 days, I would seriously consider either postponing or downsizing. You noted in a different post that your wedding is in Fresno, CA. The positivity rate in Fresno County is in the purple zone, Tier 1 (the most widespread + the highest risk). Currently, only outdoor ceremonies are allowed. Even if your county improves and moves into the red tier by February, you'd still only be allowed a maximum of 100 guests (25% capacity) if your venue is able to accommodate 400 in the first place. At the very least, I'd encourage you to read up on the rules in your county so that you're not breaking them. Honestly, a 150-person wedding in a Tier 1 zone less than 90 days from now in an indoor setting is not a risk worth taking.

• A
    Devoted June 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag

I agree with Rebecca. You shouldn't have to postpone if you don't want to, but you really should lower your guest count. Not just for the guests, but the people who come in contact with your guests afterwards (such as elderly family members and also the medical staff who would treat them if they required medical care). You're not forcing your family/friends to be there, but some will feel obligated or compelled to be there (as to not "let you down," perhaps).

I'm glad that you guys were fortunate to have never caught anything while working as essential workers in the beginning of the pandemic. Just keep in mind that numbers have gone way up since then. I hope none of your guests get sick and that you're able to have a nice wedding.

• S
    Devoted November 2021
    Sara Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Reducing your guest list to 30 people would be an excellent idea

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics