Kristina
Just Said Yes March 2019

Motivation is gone

Kristina, on May 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved

I have hit a wall, life got in the way and wedding planning got put on the back burner. I was on top of things, and not I have no motivation to do anything. I need the excitement and motivation back. Any pointers from those who have dealt with this? Thanks!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Kimberly, on May 20, 2018 at 3:27 PM
  • Will & Tiara
    Super September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·
    • Flag

Take a little time of and don't something else rather than the wedding. Have fun with friends and your fiance -- go do some cultural and other fun activities you both enjoy. Maybe you need to just relax and date and remember why you're getting married in the first place. Take a deep breath, exhale and release. You will put your wedding back on track. If it's over whelming, then you should consider a wedding coordinator who will put together the details without the cost of a planner. Good luck!

• A
    Dedicated November 2018
    Angela ·
    • Flag
    Girl. I feel ya. I was there. I havent touched anything wedding related since March. I just couldn't get it going. Between family issues and just life in general, it just sucked the joy out of it. I just stopped. Stalled out. But I think I needed that. I felt like I was bugging everyone with all the details. Then when I started getting questions about whether or not we were still getting married, I started picking it up again. I just picked up the boutineers the other day. And i felt better. For whatever reason the break was good. Mine is not until November so i have some time. I'm not sure when urs is but i feel like this. If u need the break, take it. U will pick it back up when ur ready. U can do it! It's supposed to be a happy time. Just remember, no one will pay much attention to all the stuff. U and FH will be the focus. Smiley winking u got this.
  • April
    Dedicated September 2018
    April ·
    • Flag
    Im sorry youre feeling this way! Sending a big hug!

Oo what about a night with the wedding party or just close family/friends and have some wedding related games and bbq and drinks, maybe that will help get you back in the spirit??
  • R
    Just Said Yes May 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    I feel the same way and understand what you're saying. Just when I thought we hit all the crises we were going to hit, we were hit with another one 2 days ago. My wedding is in 12 days. I am grateful for such a wonderful fiance who just held me in his arms and let me cry. The silver lining in this is that each challenge we have faced has brought my fiance and I closer together. He keeps telling me one day we will look back on all this and laugh. I have found that it is good to take a time out from all the wedding planning and just go out with your fiance and have fun.

• futurehappybride
    Dedicated September 2018
    futurehappybride ·
    • Flag
    I would suggest watching people's wedding videos on YouTube to get you" in the mood" for wedding stuff haha, maybe watch funny wedding movies, and honestly wedding wire's planning checklist really helped me this whole journey. It helped me know what to work on next and stay organized! Don't feel like you have to accomplish as fast as possible. Just take it one step at a time and relax when you can. Smiley smile
  • Shanee and Brian
    Expert July 2018
    Shanee and Brian ·
    • Flag
    Put your dress on again. It helped me. Smiley winking
  • M
    Savvy November 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree, mine is also on November and also took a break but now that we're getting close to our day Nov 3rd I'm stressed because idk how to make an itinerary. I feel like I'm always sick and need to get it together to pull through
  • MrsPreach2018
    Master August 2018
    MrsPreach2018 ·
    • Flag
    It's normal, we've all been there. Taking a break from all the planning and doing something non wedding related helped me. Have a girls night, spa or massage day, date night.
  • Rachel
    VIP September 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

FH and I have been planning the wedding spurts. We have weeks where we are super productive and lulls where we can't think about the wedding. It's natural to get burned out sometimes. I think the idea of looking at wedding videos can help. You could look at your pinterest boards or your venue's brochure to get back in the spirit of things.

Try making smaller goals for yourself so you feel like you're actually accomplishing things. For example, instead of one goal: find a photographer; have a few goals: spend 2 hours researching local photographers; contact at least 6 photographers for quotes; schedule a brief call with our top 3; select photographer. You might only do one of those things each week but at least you feel like you're getting somewhere as opposed to going weeks without feeling like you can complete anything.

• Summer
    Super August 2018
    Summer ·
    • Flag

It tends to come in waves no matter what, and you've got plenty of time so don't worry - if you've got any appointments to make, schedule them for sometime soon, and get a big planning item out of the way. That always helps to excite me because it brings the vision together! Or just scroll through Pinterest for ideas and inspiration.

• Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

Motivation comes and goes so don't worry - you're no different than anyone else! I've found taking a couple of weeks off helps me a lot. I come back to it refreshed! Given your wedding month/year you probably can do that without much of a problem.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

Been there a few times! Our engagement is a year and a half long so sometimes we are super on top of things and ahead of the game and sometimes I'm so sick of wedding planning and so reday to be married, I forget what its all about.

FH have talked about eloping a few times, because thats the point right? To be married. Sometimes we feel like our engagement was too long, we have too much time to think about things. So much second guessing on my dress, the cake, ideas we liked, etc. I definitely didn't need this long to plan this wedding and I've grown super annoyed of people telling me "but you have so much time!"

If we could go back, it'd be much much smaller, more lowkey, etc. I was so excited to plan this huge grand wedding and now its overwhelming and not fun anymore. It definitely helps when we get something else done, or pay off a vendor, etc. My parents ordered us wedding coozies the other day and when they came, I got excited again. Sometimes little things like that makes it fun again but overall I'm just waiting for these weeks to fly by.

• Kristina
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

Thank you ladies! I get these spurts of I can't wait to get off work so I can plan, then get home and have so much other stuff going on it overtakes wedding plans. I will definitely take each of your advices and get into it! Smiley heart

• Malwen107
    VIP October 2018
    Malwen107 ·
    • Flag

Take a break! We made a promise day one that if it stopped being fun, we'd take a break. Half the stuff that seems so urgent, is really small at the end of the day

• Kristina
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

I scheduled an appointment for my first dress shopping. Super excited and nervous. Slow day at work today, so I am taking advantage of looking at dresses the shop I am going to could possibly have.

I feel some motivation coming back.

Thanks!!!

• K
    Devoted October 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Having a break from planning is good. Also I just booked my honeymoon and that made me more motivated now. It makes me more excited for the wedding again since I am so excited for it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics