Hi everyone! I am the MOH in my baby cousin's upcoming wedding on June 5th, 2021. I love her to pieces and just want all the pre-wedding festivities to be everything she's dreamt of. However, with Covid-19 still being an issue here in New Jersey and with new restrictions slowly trickling out, I am not sure what I am supposed to do, as it seems like the state is reverting back to how it was earlier this year.
I have been trying to plan a bridal shower for about 60 people. Venues in this state are not taking bookings/reservations at the moment because of restrictions. I have spent months waiting it out, to see if things improve before digging in deeper as far as planning goes. Thing is, it seems things are not improving. Even with an apparent vaccine on the way, I am unsure of whether or not things will be settled down come April (when I was originally planning to throw the shower). Beyond that, I am not fully comfortable throwing a larger bash for her shower knowing that guests may be at risk. From what I gather, it may take several months into 2021 for the vaccine to be available to the general public, I feel planning something for April is not a wise move.
Secondly, her bachelorette party is supposed to be about 15 girls in Ocean City, Maryland sometime in mid-May. The bridal party and I decided against going too far away due to having to be on an airplane and how unsafe everything is. I can't seem to get too involved in planning that either, as everything is so up in the air and we have no idea what will happen within the next few months. Being that MD is also reverting back to stricter restrictions, booking anything for the bachelorette party is proving to be a difficult task.
My cousin is considering postponing her wedding to 2022. She said she will make the call come end of January. However, she very much has her heart set on June 2021. Personally, I think postponing is a great idea. It gives the country a chance to go back to some sense of normalcy and there will be less restrictions. If she waits till 2022, she will be capable of having the wedding she has always wanted. Having it in 2021, as originally planned, will most likely result in cutting her guest list among a ton of other changes, that I know she will be bummed about. I also know that for her and her future husband, this is stressful for them and I am trying not to infringe too much on what it is they want to do or decide upon doing. Part of me wants to tell her that I am having such a difficult time planning things for her being she is dead set on having her wedding in June. I do not want to break the news that she won't be able to have everyone she wants at these pre-wedding festivities, and instead of going away for the bachelorette party, she may have to have it here in her home state.
I am not sure what to do. To be incredibly honest, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I cannot plan these events even though I want to because of the current state of our country. I'd rather not wait until January and be given the go ahead by her to continue planning only to still be told that nothing has changed and I cannot book any venues or accommodations for her bachelorette. While I do fully understand that this is her big day, I wish she would have a little consideration for those who are also putting in a lot of time, money, and effort to make the events leading up to her big day memorable and fun. In order to plan these events, I need to know what it is she wants to do - whether she is keeping the 2021 date or postponing to 2022, as I do not want to wait till last minute to get the ball rolling. I also do not want to lose out on potentially a ton of money to reserve places (if I even can) in 2021 only to find out she decided to postpone or that it is not safe yet/permitted.
What do I do? How do I go about this in a way where I don't stress her out even more?