Jessica
Just Said Yes October 2020

Mismatched Groomsmen Looks or No?

Jessica, on September 30, 2019 at 11:49 AM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save

Hey! So I am planning on having my bridesmaids in mismatched dresses. I feel that this is the best way to accommodate different budgets, styles, and figures. They will be varying in color (I'm giving 3 base colors to go off of) and style. The only thing is I want them all long.

My question is, should I have the groomsmen mismatched as well? I feel like it would look weird if they're all in the same suits and my girls aren't.

What's your opinion? Have you seen it done either (or both) way and liked how it looked?

9 Comments

• Ingrid
    Super October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    I think its ultimately up to you and your vision. However, I think having the groomsmen match will bring a coordinated look in totality.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I had my girls in mismatched dresses and tones and then i had the guys in the same outfit. it looked fine to me aha.

Mismatched Groomsmen Looks or No? 1

• Jessica
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love this! I just think my bridesmaids' dresses are going to vary more. They will have 3 colors to base their looks on.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would have all the groomsmen in the same attire. Having every single person wearing something different could start to look sloppy very easily.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We used GenTux for our groomsmen. They rented a jacket & pants ($100) and were able to wear their own shirt, belt, and shoes (they could rent if they needed) then we gifted tie, socks, and pocket square. My bridesmaids were in the same color but different dresses. I wanted some cohesiveness.

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    I love it when people look like themselves in varying colors and styles, not part of a uniform group. Everyone in medium to dark blues, for example. Or everyone in light Grey's. Totally random, 1 in powder blue, 1 in maroon, one in brown, yuk. A little coordination is nice. Some people look nice in vests, some don't. But mid to dark blues, Grey's, wine reds look good together. White, tan, bone or beige, and cocoa are nice. Just by color family is enough coordination, for my taste. My honey invested in a very formal navy, navy pinstripe, and light nav worsted suit shortly before our wedding, transition from grad school, to being a supervisor of engineers in new job. And he got a midnight blue tux for 2 weddings, knowing he could wear it for 2 others. Why rent for 4 times in a year, buy. So we went practical, dressy suits, in pearl gray or navy. Only one person rented. Other got a new suit they could use after the wedding. When things are all one color people never would wear outside a wedding, like powdwer blue tux, everyone rents rather than waste money. But everyone needs at least one navy or light grey dressy suit if they wear business wear to work. So I think it not only looks nice, but is very considerate of your guys, to let them choose a cut of suit, and color, they will want to wear again.
  • Z
    Dedicated November 2019
    Zoe ·
    • Flag

I'm letting my bridesmaids pick their own dresses and for the groomsmen we just said a black suit. They wont match perfectly but I thought black would be cohesive enough.

• S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    • Flag
    You could have the groom's men match whatever bridesmaid they are walking down with
  • Rachael
    Expert October 2019
    Rachael ·
    • Flag

Really I think its up to you and your groom, but I think either way could look great. I've seen more often than not that the groomsmen all stayed the same when the bridesmaids were mix matched, however that wont be the case for my wedding!! My girls will be in different shades of purple, from light to dark, & once my FH got to thinking about it he asked his guys to do shades of gray from light to dark too! The guys all loved that idea, and we think its going to turn out really nice (and it made my FH feel really good & excited to choose something so unique over the typical groomsmen's options)

Comment on this discussion