N
Just Said Yes January 2023

mil help

Nat, on September 18, 2021 at 1:01 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Saved
Hi everyone I need honest opinions.

Me and my FH are planning a destination wedding for late next year and decided on the weekend of November 5th. When telling his mom these plans she asked us to wait a whole other year (Nov. 2023) because my FH cousin is getting married beginning of September & is worried family won’t be able to afford both weddings so close to each other. (It’s 7 weeks after)
His other cousin got married in December 2020 and cancelled their wedding because COVID and they are now considering doing it December 2022 so ours would be in the middle. There is nothing official set though.
Me and my FH do not want to wait any longer, we’ve been dating for 6 years and it’s important to both of us to get married and move in around the same time. Any advice? I love his mom, and it hurts knowing I’m planning a wedding she is not on board with but I also don’t want to sacrifice what will make me happy. Is this rude to do?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on September 19, 2021 at 6:50 PM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    It's not rude at all, you and your fiancé can pick a date that you both want. Yes it's nice to accommodate others, but at the end of the day that day will be about you two. I would just keep in mind what his mom said - that some people may not be able to afford to come. But if that's fine with you, then keep planning for that date!
  • Jacks
    Master September 2019
    Jacks ·
    • Flag

Oh wow no. Not rude. Set your date, and enjoy the process. The one thing with a destination wedding is that you may not have everyone attending due to expense, and that is a valid concern. You'll need to understand that from the start of planning.

• Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    She of course can suggest whatever she wants but it’s not for her to decide. If that’s the date you want, go for it. My original date was only two months after my SIL. Some family may not be able to make it a d that’s understandable but it’s not okay to put your life on hold for such a long time because of something so trivial. I think that’s just enough time in between all three weddings.
  • B
    Dedicated June 2023
    bevbabe ·
    • Flag

I mean I get her point and it sounds like she's just warning you that people from his side might not be able to come. If you both are okay with that then keep your date.

• S
    Expert December 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Remember that you're marrying into the family, but spending the rest of your life with your groom. I'd stick to the plan yall came up with as a couple. If you allow his mom to call the shots now you'll regret it down the road when it becomes the norm.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics