E
Beginner June 2021

mil Dress

Emily, on June 2, 2021 at 3:06 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved
Did you choose the dress for your mother in law? Or just the color? If yes to either, did you have a bridal party or no?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Milada, on June 4, 2021 at 11:05 AM
  • AJ
    Rockstar October 2022
    AJ Online ·
    • Flag

I don't care what my MIL wears as long as its not an obnoxious color, white or Ivory. If you want her to wear a specific color let her know, but let her pick what she would be most comfortable in. I think my mom said she wanted to wear a deep purple/plum color, I'm only having a MOH and she will be in burgundy. I haven't talked to my FMIL much about wedding stuff.

• SHY
    Master January 2022
    SHY ·
    • Flag

Neither! My FMIL and mom just sent me pictures of dresses they liked and I gave them my opinion. We have a wedding party, and the moms are wearing different colors. My FMIL is wearing a pretty blush colored dress, while my mom is wearing a deep green color.

• Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    My mom and MIL picked their own dresses. However, both of them asked me to go shopping with them just because they valued my general opinion. I did have a bridal party. I gave direction on the color, and they all opted for the same dress lol.
  • Allie
    Super November 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag

Neither of these. My mom wanted me to go shopping with her and she picked her dress with me, but she ultimately picked her own dress. My MIL has not yet gone, she may go by herself, I'm not sure yet. But both get to pick their color and dress on their own. The only thing I asked of them is that they stay away from burgundy because it's the bridal party's color.

• C
    Super April 2020
    Cool ·
    • Flag
    I did not pick out anyone’s outfits except my own.
  • E
    Beginner June 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Oooh thanks everyone for the responses! I asked my future MIL to pick any dress in a range of colors. She was not happy with me asking her of that so I’ve now just said to pick whatever as long as it isn’t white. I wasn’t sure if I was asking too much.
  • Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    Nope but I did accompany her to purchase it. It’s nice to have moments like that to bond.
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

I let my MIL (and my own mom) wear what they felt comfortable in. The only thing I asked was to avoid clashing with our wedding colors (shades of pink and dusty colors and navy, so I pretty much told them to avoid red and orange, but those colors aren't really flattering on their skin tones anyway).

• C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    Neither. My mom showed me pictures of what she was looking at and we went shopping. But, she picked what she wanted.
    My mother in law went shopping a couple of days before the wedding and sent me pictures of 3 she like and then picked one.
  • Grace
    Rockstar February 2022
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    No, I am not asking my FMIL to wear a specific color or dress. I am resigned to the fact she might wear lime green (her favorite color, one of my least favorite) but it is just as likely that she wears a soft neutral like grey. Our colors are dark blue and soft green so it will be fine regardless. If I hate her dress...eh. Won't ruin my day.

Yes, we do have a small bridal party with a best man, maid of honor, flower girl, and the officiant (he would have been a groomsman if he hadn't offered to officiate). We are choosing/approving their wardrobe choices but not doing so for any of our family members (aside from those who are in the bridal party).
  • Jasmine E.
    Expert May 2022
    Jasmine E. ·
    • Flag
    I gave everyone a range of colors and she picked her own dress. Bridal party is sisters only and they did the same.
  • Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·
    • Flag

My MIL came the day our bridal party went to find their dresses. She got a dress at David's bridal that was complimentary to the bridesmaid's dresses.

• Izzykern
    Super April 2021
    Izzykern ·
    • Flag
    I did not choose the color for my mom and MIL. They asked me but I said whatever they wanted would be great. But oddly enough they both chose the same color and it matched our colors perfectly!
    mil Dress 1

• Rabreena
    Devoted October 2021
    Rabreena ·
    • Flag

I suggested the color I would like my MIL and my Mom to wear and they agreed with it, as I also saved dresses for them to look at that I liked and hoping they would as well, but pretty much let them look through all the options and pick whichever one they felt best about.

• Milada
    Expert October 2021
    Milada ·
    • Flag

I didn't care what either of them wore but they were both very keen on wearing our specific colors (navy blue or champagne). They both picked on their own and my mom & I actually went into David's Bridal and got hers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics