Brandi
Devoted July 2020

mil doesn’t want to do a dance

Brandi, on January 27, 2020 at 12:05 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 6
Saved
Hi all! So, my FMIL doesn’t want to do a son-daughter dance at the wedding. She doesn’t like the spotlight. We suggested a 30 second dance but she doesn’t want that either. I’m cool with it. Not mad. I was supposed to dance with my brother since I don’t have a relationship with my dad. But, now I don’t want it to be weird and am opting out of a dance with him too. I do want to have like a dance portion with our families preferably his parents and mine. But, am cool with getting creative so everyone feels comfortable. I thought about him dancing with my mom and me dancing with his dad. But I don’t want his mom to feel offended if he dances with my mom. I also thought about all six of us on the dance floor (my mom & step dad, his parents and us) and do like a generational dance or something. Just wanted to gauge your thoughts on some creative ideas

6 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on January 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I don't see how his mom could be upset if he dances with your mom since she declined the offer. I think that sounds like a good alternative,

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I agree with Caytlyn. His mom really doesn't have the right to be offended at whatever you two decide to do in the place of parent dances. She is the one choosing to forego the dance with her son. You both deserve the chance to have your spotlight dances, so I like the idea of letting him dance with your mom and you still dancing with your brother, or his dad.

• Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag

I think if you're worried that his mom will be upset, you should let her know the alternative you've come up with, that way she isn't bothered on the day of. Or maybe she'll change her mind if you say, "Well, OK, but he's going to dance with my mom instead, is that alright?" She might decide the spotlight is for her, after all. Smiley smile

• Joanna
    Dedicated October 2020
    Joanna ·
    • Flag

Awh! My mom is the same way, and at my brother's wedding asked if the DJ could invite all the other moms and their sons up to dance with them. All of the other moms LOVED that! My grandma got to dance with my dad, my aunts and cousins danced, some of our family friends were able to do that as well, etc. It was such a fun moment, and the pictures from that dance were some of my brother's favorites.

What if you suggested this?

• Brandi
    Devoted July 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love this!!!!
  • Allison
    Savvy October 2020
    Allison ·
    • Flag

I love the idea of all parent and siblings doing a dance together or even the generational one. This way the spotlight is spread out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics