Jennifer
Expert October 2019

Mermaid dress with slip

Jennifer, on June 3, 2019 at 11:03 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 8
Saved
Hi all! Brides with mermaid or trumpet dresses, did you/ will you wear a slip to give it shape, if your dress doesn't have built in volume? Do you have pictures? I know some dresses already have layers and layers of tulle to make the silhouette, but there are lots that don't. If you have one of those, what's your plan?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Sinéad, on July 10, 2019 at 7:13 AM
  • Anna
    Super August 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

Hi! I purchased the dress without ever trying a slip on under mine. However, I had to go back to get a hem to hollow measurement and we tried it with a slip. It's just adds 1 layer of crinoline at the bottom and I loved the extra pizazz it gave the dress. it wasn't a major difference but it made my dress feel more bridal to me, somehow. Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have pictures of it with the slip... but here's it without:

Dress without slipMermaid dress with slip 1

• Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your dress is beautiful! I found the right slip in my size on Poshmark, so I went ahead and got it. I think it's going to be a definite improvement.
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

So great that you found a slip for your dress!! What is your dress like?

• Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I started with this dress from Torrid, and altered it to add beaded lace to the hem, sleeves, and neck. The lace changed the drape of the skirt a lot, and I think the slip is going to help support it. The original dress, off the rack, really wouldn't have needed it.

Mermaid dress with slip 2

Mermaid dress with slip 3
  • Sinéad
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

WOW the beading you added is just beautiful!! I love the lace sleeves! Smiley love

• Sinéad
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hey Jennifer!! have you decided if you will wear a slip under your dress to build volume?

• Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It turned out that the lining was cut like a sheath, so it didn't work. Of course, I only learned that after I found a slip on Poshmark. Smiley sad Oh well. The dress is still gorgeous!
  • Sinéad
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree, your dress is still so beautiful!! 😍

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics