We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

S
Dedicated July 2020

Menus

Stacey, on January 2, 2020 at 3:17 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 2 24
Saved Save
I am trying to decide if we should have menus at the reception or if they would be a waste of money. We are having a buffet, but we are also having a candy bar and a late night snack. At one of my friend's wedding they had a candy bar and half the guests didn't see it because it was on the one side of the reception room and those sitting on the other side didn't see it. People also barely ate the late night snack because they were full. In order to avoid this, I would like to let the guests know that both of these will be available so they can enjoy both. The only way I can think of is to have menus at the table listing both. Do you think this is a good idea or have any other way you would let the guests know?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Jana, on April 15, 2020 at 2:58 PM
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

We're having a buffet and I'm printing menus myself with a template from Etsy so it'll be less than $10 total. I know it isn't necessary, but I do like the look for the type of table settings I want since all of the plates will be up by the food. You could also have a menu board instead of individual menus!

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    It’s a nice touch! You can always print them yourself to minimize the expense.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I think it'd be nice. You can even do it where it's only one menu per table or something

• S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I was looking at a menu like this. Appetizers are being served during cocktail hour in a separate room so they won't see the menu until afterwards so you would recommend removing them from the menu? Also, where would you include the candy bar as it will be open all evening?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/734274922/minimal-menu-template-minimalist-holiday?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+menu+buffet+template&ref=sc_gallery-1-11&plkey=cf9722bc8e2f0aa69c7b8c877b4afa60e0600742%3a734274922&pro=1
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

For a buffet, I don't think menus are really necessary. Cute but meh. Can I suggest a menu board instead that lists all of the foods at the beginning of the buffet line then have small note cards at each item.

Menus 1
    Menus 2

• S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! Where would you include the candy bar? It is going to be open all evening. Apps are being served in a separate room so I am thinking of not including them since they will have already been served once everyone is seated. Do you agree?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/734274922/minimal-menu-template-minimalist-holiday?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wedding+menu+buffet+template&ref=sc_gallery-1-11&plkey=cf9722bc8e2f0aa69c7b8c877b4afa60e0600742%3a734274922&pro=1
  • S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks that is a really cute option too. Where would you include the candy bar? It is going to be open all evening.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would just list it at the bottom maybe?
  • S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I was debating one per table or one per person. It would definitely be cheaper to do one per table, but then I would be worried if everyone at the table would get to read it.
  • S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay I was thinking possibly under desserts, but that might misled them to think it isn't open all night.
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We did a separate dessert table with candy, donuts and a smores bar and had a couple signs there but no menu since it all pretty much spoke for itself. Here was our dessert table.

Menus 3
    Menus 4
    Menus 5

• S
    Dedicated July 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's super cute. I am worried some people won't notice it since it is on one end of the room.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You could even write something like:
    Candy bar (open all night!)
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We did menus because we had a plated salad & buffet dinner. Our DJ announced our dessert table & late night snack.

• Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I would probably leave off the appetizers if they wouldn't see the menus until after cocktail hour. You could either do a menu board just for the appetizers during cocktail hour (if you think the guests will need one), or do a menu board for the entire evening during cocktail hour since guests are usually wandering around and mingling at that time. Or you could stick to the individual menus, I love the look of them personally. I don't think I would include the candy bar on the menus, I think a separate display altogether would be a good idea for that. Maybe a directional sign or large "candy bar" sign on the wall to make sure guests notice?

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You could sit it anywhere or even have a couple of them, 1 of each end or 1 at the beginning, another in the middle. Depending on how many food items you have, something like a 11x17 or a 12x18 would work and they would only be a $1 or $2 for each one to be printed. It would still be less expensive than printing one our for each guests when they won't even remember what it said when they go up to get their food. Their hands will be busy balancing a plate lol.

• Elizabeth
    Dedicated November 2020
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

The menus are definitely a way of doing that. You could also just have little place cards in front of your food so people know what it is and have it announced that the other bars are available and where they are located.

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah Online ·
    • Flag
    Since it's a buffet, I would probably do 1 per table, or just have your DJ announce the candy bar. If people don't read it, they probably wouldn't read an individual menu either.
  • Dierdra
    Super November 2020
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

menu ideaMenus 6

What about doing table menus - one per table. Not super expensive - everyone will see and if it looks good they'll go find it!

• Emily
    Dedicated October 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Most caterers have menu signs to label everything on a buffet plus whatever other food items they provide. I would ask your caterer what their signs look like and if they are able to personalize them for you. I wouldn't spend the extra money for something that is already being handled.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇