We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jessica
Dedicated July 2020

Measured wrong to get more money out of me?

Jessica, on March 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved Save
I went to David’s bridal and tried on a few dresses. The consultant measured me and brought out dresses in sizes “8-10”. I fell in love with a dress and she told me it was a size 10. It fit perfectly. I went home and ordered that dress on my own, in the size they recommended. The lady had been a bit rude and I didn’t want her getting credit for me buying a dress. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It came in the mail and was wayyy too small. I went to the store to return it and the same lady measured me again and said “oh no... you’re between a 12-14”. Mind you, this was about a week and a half later. I don’t think I gained that many inches in that time frame. When I tried one on the second time, the price tag said size 14 but the actual dress was a 16. This seemed a bit fishy to me...
Do you think they purposely measured me wrong so i could have the dress altered and get more money out of me? Or do you think it was a genuine mistake? Any similar experiences?

9 Comments

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    She made a big mistake. Probably read the tag wrong. You can take in a dress up to two sizes but can BARELY let out a dress, not even a whole size. 😩
  • Monica
    Super October 2020
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    It sounds like TWO separate mistakes, the first trip you took she measured you wrong andd told u the wrong size of the dress you tried on. Then at the second trip the tag size and the dress size didn’t match. Idk but sounds like this davids bridal is a mess!
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly Online ·
    • Flag
    So I’m not sure if this is where the mess up occurred but I know you can never go off the size of what you’re trying on. Those dresses are extremely stretched out and not comparable to a new dress. It’s always important to go off measurements and the sizing chart.
  • A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    Yes. When I went they insisted I buy the larger size and pushed my mom and me. Of course we got it because you’re trusting these people who do this everyday.....

Alterations cost more than the dress and they screwed up my dress so badly I had to bring it somewhere else. I should have followed my gut and gotten a dress my size.
  • W
    Expert September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    The measurements of each individual dress are online. Measure yourself, compare the numbers to what's on the website, and order based on that.

I bought a sample, and they do get stretched out. If you're ok with buying the sample you tried on, they may sell it to you for 20% off. They'll clean, repair, and steam it for free. If that's the route you go, I'd have them do the cleaning asap so you can still return if it it's not restored to your satisfaction. They have a 14 day policy
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena Online ·
    • Flag
    They pushed me into a larger dress. I'm in between a 0-2, they ordered a 4 "to accommodate bust". I feel like it made no difference at all with the cup size. They've had to take in hips, bodice, and bust. I feel like that all could of been avoided. Then they made me pick up my dress last Friday due to the virus. Alterations aren't finished, and they don't know when they're opening their store back up. It still needs to be taken in because it hangs on me. Again, if we bought a dress in my size, I wouldn't be in a time crunch to get my dress finished before my wedding. I told everyone I think it was their way of making more money.
  • Krys
    Dedicated October 2020
    Krys ·
    • Flag
    Similar happened to me. Sales associate recommended I get a 4 but that ended up being way too big and I actually needed a 6 (the size I thought I needed). David’s exchanged at no extra cost and got me the size I needed! I would just explain the situation and see what they recommend to fix it
  • P
    January 2014
    Pam ·
    • Flag

Sample dresses are tried on again and again by women of multiple sizes; they get stretched out. Don't assume the worst in people when there's a simple explanation Smiley heart

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Yes. Sample sizes get stretched, so it's very possible the one you tried on fit perfectly but would be much smaller when actually ordered for you. Happened to me. I fit fine in the sample, but as soon as I got mine they had trouble zipping it up. Now, I'm not sure the company as a whole is trying to do you wrong - I would go to a different David's bridal if you can when they reopen. I went to three and found that all of them were vastly different. And the consultant makes the sale.

As for alterations, please read the reviews. I went to one fitting and the lady implied I had gained weight - which might have been true but I was three weeks out from my wedding at the time, come on - and the alterations were sloppy. Grain of salt I say. Plus most dresses have like one bustle option that comes from corporate, and while they know the dresses....its a downer to not be able to get exactly what you want. I wanted a French bustle but ended up with American because of my dress only having one approved bustle. Good luck!!! Stay strong!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles