Liz
Devoted June 2021

Meal help

Liz, on May 13, 2021 at 8:17 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 7
Saved Save
So my wedding is less than 2 months away. We are doing buffet, had our tasting, picked our food but now I’m 2nd guessing. The plan for mains was a Vegetarian Lasagna, wine braised short ribs and a honey sirracha chicken. Everything was yummy but now I’m thinking about going with another chicken dish as not to many people will like spicy. Would you switch without tasting? Do you think I should switch? I also don’t want to anger our caterer for changing..

7 Comments

Latest activity by Jasmin, on May 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM
  • Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think you should switch. You have multiple options for people who want to avoid the spicy food. If you loved the chicken you chose, I’d stick with it.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    Our caterer suggested that ONE adventurous option is great, as long as the rest as “safe” options , so I think this sounds perfect. I never go for chicken at a wedding but I would definitely want to taste some of that one!!

I would just put a “*spicy” disclaimer somewhere in case you have some guests that live under a rock and don’t know what sriracha is, hah . I could picture someone like my mom not knowing and getting it and being in for a shock! So , on a menu or a label in front of the serving trays or something
  • Apryl
    Devoted March 2022
    Apryl Online ·
    • Flag
    I don't think you need to switch. You have two other options if they don't like the chicken.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I think your menu sounds great. If people don’t like spicy they have other choices.
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

You are never going to make everyone happy. Not all three dishes are spicy, so I think its fine that your chicken dish has a little extra flavor. People can choose one of your other options if they don't love spicy food.

If you cater your wedding food to the blandest eaters on your guest list you are more likely to food that doesn't offend anyone but is unremarkable, whereas if you opt for something with a bit more flavor the food is more likely to stand out. I'd rather pick and choose around some unique flavors than have a full menu of boring items.

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Not everyone likes or can eat spicy foods/condiments. However, *never* get anything on the menu without tasting first. If you love it, then keep it since you have other options.

What you are describing is an excellent example of why the popular idea of just saying “chicken “ on your reply card with no description will backfire. Since you are doing buffet, make sure everything is labeled both on your menu cards on the dinner tables (gives guests a heads up to make lines run faster) and tent cards for everything on the buffet table. , and the chicken is listed as spicy. Guests will figure it out from there.
  • J
    Savvy July 2021
    Jasmin ·
    • Flag

Don't change! As a guest of a lot of weddings, I would love to see something unique like this at a reception. If people don't like it oh well - more for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics