Skip to main content
Andrea
Beginner November 2020

May weddings

Andrea, on March 17, 2020 at 6:25 PM Posted in Community Conversations 3 36
Saved
Reply
Hello all! My wedding is may 16th 2020 but I am in complete panic over this coronavirus pandemic! I live in oregon and we just got an 8 week ban on all activities that include more than 50 people 🤦‍♀️ my venue has already told me that we can reschedule so that's not a problem, what I mostly want to know is if anyone else who has a may wedding is already rescheduling or if you're wating and praying that this all goes away on time? I really want to keep my date, everything is set to go and I will be absolutely crushed if we have to cancel 😭 anyone have any advice?

36 Comments

Latest activity by Meredith, on April 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM
  • Chantal
    Expert May 2021
    Chantal ·
    • Flag

    Hi fellow Oregon bride! May 23rd is my date. I am having a lot of concerns myself, but I just can't bring myself to think about cancelling this early. We're going to wait until April to see how everything feels. If nothing else, we'll have an intimate little ceremony with just family, but I can't bring myself to think about the seriousness of having to cancel yet. Still hoping things can change in two months. China's recovering super fast and I'm hoping with all these early precautions, it will all be okay...

    • Reply
  • K
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Kathy ·
    • Flag
    Mine is the same weekend and also very bummed! I’m also waiting until April to make a final decision but locked down a backup date in August as backup. Good luck!
    • Reply
  • Tonilynn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Tonilynn ·
    • Flag
    Mine is may 24th everyone I talk to too says this too shall pass!! I’m holding out prayer and hope!!! I too will be waiting till April to make a final decision!! My decision will be at least 45 days prior
    • Reply
  • Stacey
    Savvy September 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    I’m may 24, an just reschedule today to June 28.
    • Reply
  • Andrea
    Beginner November 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    Thank you so much ladies! This makes me feel better, this whole pandemic is a huge bummer but I will stay positive that all our weddings will still happen on time 😊
    • Reply
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Mines is May23rd here where everything is banned. I'm going to give it till april 15th to decied what's best at this point however Ian prepared ro postpone
    • Reply
  • Megan
    Savvy August 2020
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    We moved our May 23rd wedding to the end of August. I was worried if we waited too long to postpone everything would be booked and we would have no options. Our vendors were awesome and we got all of them to change to the new date (no fees or lost money). We are sad we had to change it but feel much less stressed now. Good luck!
    • Reply
  • Veronica
    Expert June 2021
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    We’re May 17 and so far nothing being rescheduled on our end our venue has told us provided everything will still going on. Trying not to stress to much and wait it out till April 😢
    • Reply
  • Maria
    Beginner November 2020
    Maria ·
    • Flag

    5/23 here! I too am waiting at least until mid April to consider postponing... So much can change in 4 weeks, and I know my venue has been booked up for 2020 for a long time, so I won't miss out on a potential new date later this summer if I wait. Fingers crossed!

    • Reply
  • Ali
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Ali ·
    • Flag

    May 23rd here as well...it is going to be impossible to know next week, the week after, even the week after(!) what the situation is going to look like in May. I have found that it is very easy for people who are not the bride or groom to offer their opinion on what we should do (ha). It's frustrating, upsetting, disappointing, the works. We're just trying to follow guidance from our venue (in CT) - they are focused on rescheduling March and April weddings at this point and said on Monday they hope to keep all of their May dates, and of course the CDC. It is just an impossible situation to be in...invites are supposed to go out next week, you ladies know the drill. :-( Sending all of the good vibes.

    • Reply
  • Stacey
    Savvy September 2020
    Stacey ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is May 24, an I have postponed in until June 28.
    • Reply
  • Tonilynn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Tonilynn ·
    • Flag
    May 24th here venue just said she hopes to keep our date !! I’m very hopeful myself !!! May is the ideal time for all my guests and is!!! I’ll be praying for everyone !!! Xoxoxo know you are NOT alone in this
    • Reply
  • Abbey
    Savvy June 2020
    Abbey ·
    • Flag
    My date is also May 16th! I am having a backyard wedding at my parents house so I really need to talk with them about the situation. We still plan on getting married that day but may end up cutting our guest count, which is really difficult since we both have very large families and close friends who want to be there.
    • Reply
  • M
    Savvy May 2020
    Meredith ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding date is Saturday, May 30, 2020. We have been planning our wedding for a year and a half. We picked this date because I work in the school system, and I would be out for summer break and could go on our honeymoon. Our venue, which books up very quickly, has now allowed us to put a later date “on hold” in case we have to postpone. It’s a Sunday in mid-August, which is less than ideal being at the very beginning of the school year. But luckily all of our vendors are available that day. We are still praying we can get married on May 30, but I am so relieved to have a back up plan. I’ve already had to cancel my honeymoon, bachelorette party, and bridal showers. I don’t want to have to postpone the wedding! So sorry you are all going through this, too. It’s SO stressful. Praying all of your weddings work out in a way you are happy with!
    • Reply
  • Kaylyn
    Beginner May 2021
    Kaylyn ·
    • Flag
    We’re waiting until April to make a decision. We’re 5/23/2020 and hoping we won’t have to postpone. If we are able to keep it, I’m sure some guests will cancel, and we just have to be OK with that.
    • Reply
  • L
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding is scheduled for May 15th and we’re also waiting a few weeks before deciding whether to postpone. We’re in Austin, TX, and our projected guest count is about 60. If we do have to make changes, we’ll either go ahead with our ceremony (we’re having a full Catholic Mass) and live-stream it to our guests who can’t make it, then postpone the reception until this fall, or we’ll move the whole thing. A small part of me just wants to cancel the reception completely and use the money we would have spent on the final payments for other things because I don’t feel like making all of these logistical arrangements all over again.


    The whole situation is so stressful; I too have gotten unsolicited opinions about what I should do which has made me want to pull my hair out. I’m not living under a rock, I’m staying informed and my fiancé and I will make whatever decision feels right for ourselves and our guests. We already voluntarily called off our bachelor and bachelorette parties (before the 10-person-max guidance was issued)—clearly we’re paying attention and trying to be considerate of others, so it baffles me that people think they need to lecture me on the right thing to do at this point. (Note: None of my relatives have lectured me, only friends who are within driving distance of the wedding, which is even more frustrating.)
    Hang in there ladies, you are not alone and at the end of the day we’ll all get hitched one way or another! Xoxo
    • Reply
  • Emily
    Just Said Yes May 2022
    Emily ·
    • Flag

    We're May 9th but with the new recommendations that events be capped at 10 people for the next 8 weeks that pretty much drove the nail in the coffin. Too much is at stake for our wedding to go on as planned. The venue emailed us on their own after this happened and offered a small number of alternate dates on a first come, first serve basis so we talked as quickly and thoughtfully as we could and we jumped at two different options. We got our second choice.. November 14th. Now we're reaching out to all of our vendors just hopeful that they will be available. Such a nightmare.. but it's not worth the risk of perpetuating the problem further. That said, we decided that we don't want to wait to actually get married. We will still officially be getting married with just parents and a couple of friends on May 9th but the fun and festivities will be later when people are more calm and people feel more like partying. It took me the whole day to come to terms with this but I am at peace with it now. I hope you find peace as well. Know that the most important thing is the person you're marrying and the life you are about to spend together. The rest will come together one way or another. People's health is more important! You're all in my thoughts! Be well and be happy in love!

    • Reply
  • Dana
    Dedicated May 2020
    Dana ·
    • Flag
    We're May 9th. We'd called the venue Monday, and they said we could postpone if we wanted and our money would move to the new date but they were still considering us on. Since then there's been additional restrictions placed on the Tri-State area, but we haven't heard anything more from them yet.




    I was hopeful until this weekend. ow we're thinking to go to the courthouse or have our officiant do the ceremony (hopefully on our original day in May if we can by then). Neither FH nor I feel like planning another reception, or ceremony, after all this recent stress. So we'll probably just host a dinner "in celebration of our marriage" with our local guests sometime after things calm down.
    I know all these restrictions are for the best, and the wedding day is just one day. It's still hard to accept that things we planned won't be happening now though
    • Reply
  • Elisa
    Dedicated May 2021
    Elisa ·
    • Flag

    I'm in NJ and we are under the same restrictions. My wedding is May 3rd and we've decided we're going to postpone. Being up in the air about a date is too much to handle stress wise, and to pay off all the pending invoices for a day that may or may not be happening just doesnt seem smart given my job is losing money due to the virus as well. If you wind up postponing, all I can do is send over my deepest condolences. It really sucks. You wait so long, only to wait even longer. But your special day WILL happen! Hang in there and stay safe. Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Dedicated October 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

    I'm in NY and already had to cancel my bridal shower that was supposed to be this Sunday. I was going to have 50-55 people before all of this came about, I'm sure some people still would have come but I felt like with everything going on and just getting so bad this week, along with the group of no more than 10 recommendation, I couldn't possibly go on with having it. I didn't want everyone to be tense or feel bad if they weren't comfortable coming.

    My wedding in May 30th. I spoke with my venue yesterday who is not wanting to postpone May weddings yet, and said we can talk again on April 1st and assess the situation then.

    Coming on here it seems like a decent amount of May brides are also holding out a few weeks. So much has happened and changed in the past week, so that makes me think that tonssss can happen in the next several weeks. I'm just praying that things calm down and we can all have our May weddings as planned. This is so difficult! Thinking of everyone that is going through these struggles and all the disappointment that is coming along with it.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×
ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics