We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Ashlyn
Just Said Yes May 2020

May 30th, 2020 Help!

Ashlyn, on April 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save
Reply
Hello fellow brides, first I hope everyone is hanging in there. I am an NC bride to be and am trying not to panic. Give me your thoughts about my 5/30/2020 wedding. I am on the fence over what to do, post one, cancel and elope, hang in there...I’m stuggling!tenor.gif


19 Comments

Latest activity by Brittnee, on April 13, 2020 at 3:04 PM
  • K.J.
    Savvy September 2020
    K.J. ·
    • Flag

    If I were you I would first contact all your vendors and ask about their rescheduling policy. Just so you've got the deadlines down on the latest you can move things. Second, I would give yourself a deadline so you know when you'll need to pull the trigger by. Third, I would contact your guests and let them know that you'll be making the final decision on that date. A lot of hotels seem to have loosened their cancellation policies due to this, so people might not necessarily have to waste money if they've already booked rooms. Fourth, if you're getting closer to that date and it's looking like a no-go, I would start looking at future dates right away. There will likely be a lot of brides moving their weddings to this fall/winter, so if/when you do need to reschedule, do so with the backup plan already figured out.

    That is of course assuming you'd want to reschedule. If you want to elope that's definitely a personal choice. You could always elope on the wedding day and just have a mock ceremony/reception later.

    Best of luck, hang in there! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • S
    Devoted September 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    If it were me I would postpone it. I am so sorry your dealing with this!
    • Reply
  • Devoted August 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    I would reach out to your venue. See what their contingency plan is. What your options are with regards to postponing, deadlines etc. Typically they will aim to waive any fees, if you’re new date is within the calendar year. Postponing would mean you lose all your deposits, so that’s more of a personal call. Good luck!!
    • Reply
  • Jill
    Expert April 2020
    Jill ·
    • Flag

    Also a May 30th bride. We aren't making any official decisions until the end of the month. We'll likely elope on our date and then have a "vow renewal"/reception later. We're definitely in a tough spot

    • Reply
  • Ashlyn
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Ashlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My heart goes out to you. This is a very tough time. I think that is what we plan to do as well. I appreciate your input!
    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Dedicated October 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

    Thinking of you! Our wedding was also supposed to be May 30th. We decided to postpone until July 18th. We are in upstate NY. I'm still not overly confident about the July date and things being able to happen then but I am trying my hardest to remain hopeful! This is so hard for all of us brides!

    • Reply
  • J
    Beginner November 2020
    Jessie ·
    • Flag
    In NY also and ours was going to be May 15. We decided to postpone. It was not an easy decision and were originally planning on holding out for as long as possible. I contacted all of my vendors and they all kindly told me that my price & package would transfer to a new date should I change it - so nothing lost there! They were also all very willing to wait it out with me. I did mention in my emails though that I wanted to wait but to please advise me if they themselves had a deadline they wanted to know by. Most final payments or next payments for us were 30 days out so we wanted to make a decision preferably around then but knew payments made would transfer so paying was okay still
    • Reply
  • Emma
    Devoted August 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag

    Formerly April 18th bride (now August 15th) in NC. We ended up deciding to postpone right before all the lockdowns started (which ended up going right up to/past our date anyway). At this point I would check in with your vendors. We decided to reach out to our vendors and just see what kind of availability they had, we were honestly just exploring the option of postponing. We ended up just going ahead and postponing once we found a new date that worked for everyone.

    • Reply
  • K
    Savvy September 2020
    KitKat ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I'm in the same boat as you ladies! Our week long celebration is set to start on May 26th and culminate on May 30th. We're holding out until the end of the month to make a decision, but with our big guest lists I think we'll probably do a small ceremony with just immediate family (if restrictions allow) and postpone the big reception to a later date. The issue we're running into is even getting a marriage license, I'm in California and our local county clerk is not issuing any for the time being. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

    • Reply
  • Candice
    Dedicated July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag

    It's such a tough time. Our wedding was supposed to be May 24th, and we moved it to July 25th. I'm now worried about July 25th!! I'm in Texas and we are on stay at home until the end of April, and like everyone else possibly longer. If I were you I'd look at moving to late summer (August) or the fall ASAP before those dates are all taken. I'm sorry that's my answer Smiley sad. Best of luck!

    • Reply
  • Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

    May 30, 2020 wedding in New Hampshire here. We are waiting a bit longer to decide. Experts suggest that the pandemic will peak in the next 2-3 weeks here and in New York/New Jersey area, where we have family and some guests. We are pretty confident we will not be able to have the wedding we planned but feel that a few more weeks will give us more information that will enable us to come up with a more realistic Plan B. We do not want to create a Plan B only to have to do a Plan C only to have that not work either.

    Additionally, at this point our wedding is not impacted by any state or federal guidelines or emergency orders, so legally we could still have our May 30th wedding as of right now. Our venue will not refund our deposit, but will reschedule us, however we think that if the current stay-at-home orders or restrictions on gatherings were to be extended and our venue was not able to legally uphold their end of the contract by hosting us, we may be able to get a refund.

    • Reply
  • Theresa
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Theresa ·
    • Flag
    We moved our 5/30/2020 wedding to end of August. Had no trouble working with the vendors. I am a healthcare professional, and this will not be over by late May. Plus, do you really want your whole wedding with people focused on COVID? Just some food for thought. Good luck!
    • Reply
  • FutureMrs.C
    Dedicated August 2020
    FutureMrs.C ·
    • Flag

    I was originally May 16th. Given how the timelines keep adjusting, we were too nervous about them extending rules on gatherings over a certain size past our date so we just rescheduled to be safe. As PP have said, I agree - just look at your various options, make pros and cons lists, and hopefully the decision will be at least a little bit more clear. Best of luck with all of this stuff. Just remember that everything will be okay and that your special day will still be special no matter what happens Smiley smile Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • K
    Dedicated May 2021
    Kaci ·
    • Flag

    May 30th, From Minnesota, we postponed our wedding until Sept 5th. We we contacted our vendors there was only one day that worked with everyone so we decided to postpone so we didnt lose the day. It was a hard decision but it took a lot of stress off of me and FH

    • Reply
  • Atem
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Atem ·
    • Flag

    My wedding was 05/30/20 as well, I had to cancel Smiley sad

    • Reply
  • Ashlyn
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Ashlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I fee your pain, we are going to have to postpone as well
    • Reply
  • Jasmine
    Devoted May 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    Umm I just took a peek at your profile and it looks like you are from the same part of NC as me. My FH sister was suppose to have a wedding on a cruise at the end of May but that’s cancelled. So I think by then she could get away with a small ceremony on the beach. I don’t know how many people you have coming to your wedding, something to think about.
    • Reply
  • E
    Just Said Yes January 2021
    Esteffi ·
    • Flag

    My wedding was also supposed to be May 30, we postponed to January 9 because our church told us they would not be doing ceremonies even with only the two of us until potentially August. My venue unfortunately only had a Sunday Thanksgiving week available. For me, it was causing me more stress to split the ceremony and reception dates and I did not want my anniversary to be on Thanksgiving every few years. I feel much better postponing as all of my vendors were available on Saturday, January 9.

    • Reply
  • Brittnee
    Savvy May 2021
    Brittnee ·
    • Flag

    We're a May 23rd wedding and still waiting, but we did reach out to our venue and all the big vendors and asked them to honorarily hold a backup date for us, which they agreed to. We sent them lists of dates, and it took a handful of tries before we could find a date that everyone was available for--all the spring summer brides are rescheduling so dates are getting eaten up. I'd recommend asking if they're willing to pencil in a backup date for you so at least you can rest easy that you have that. I feel so bad for @KitKat above; I didn't plan a week-long party, but I planned a three-day shingdig with several events. I slept so much better once I knew I could still have all that time with friends and family that I originally planned, no matter what. Start with your venue, and then go to the essential/paid-in-full vendors. You also want to start having discussions with your FH about which is most important to you: to be man and wife next month (or as soon as possible) no matter what, or to have the full event and know you didn't give anything up. Every bride is different Smiley smile

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles