We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Zoey
Just Said Yes June 2021

May 2021 wedding

Zoey, on December 27, 2020 at 9:16 AM Posted in California Planning 1 20
Saved Save
Reply
I need some advice! We have our wedding set for early May 2021 in Southern California. We aren’t sure if we should continue planning, push the date or just change our wedding to be an extremely small Disney destination wedding. Anyone else having the same issue or have any ideas? Thanks!!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Teresa, on January 18, 2021 at 6:06 AM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn't make any changes right now, though I would definitely recommend coming up with a backup plan now. Talk with your fiance and your vendors and decide on a backup plan. See where things are around end of February or March, and make a decision at that time as to whether to continue as planned or switch to the backup plan.


    As far as whether to postpone or downsize the guest list if there are still a lot of restrictions in place, only you and your fiance can decide what's best for your wedding. Is getting married on the specific date you picked out super important to you (for any reason at all - such as, do you need to be married by that date for insurance reasons? Or is that date an important date to your relationship)? If so, I would downsize and still plan for that date. Otherwise, I would postpone.
    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! We have been talking about it and it’s always nice to get an outside opinion! This is our second wedding date and my fiancé is waiting for us to get married before starting to apply for police academy to prevent any issues of him getting time off! Which makes me want to keep our date but our venue shows no signs of reopening for weddings
    • Reply
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I agree with Lisa- it’s really too soon to tell what’s going to happen in the next several months. Plan as usual but have a Plan B set up. My wedding is on 4/3/21 (we love the date & aren’t changing it) in the Phoenix area. We’re planning as usual but we do have a Plan B set up.
    • Reply
  • Kerin
    Super February 2021
    Kerin ·
    • Flag

    Personally, I think prepping a plan B, like PP said, is something you should really think about. Our venue made the decision for us and it was devastating to have to make huge changes without notice and very little time.

    I would plan for the current restrictions, or, if your state had even more restrictive ones previously, plan for those. I'd make the decision on going with your current plan or the backup within 3 months of your wedding date.
    Remember, you can still have a big reception or party with everyone later in the year or even for your anniversary the following. Times are strange, but find a way to celebrate your happiness regardless.
    Best wishes 💗
    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone for all the help!
    • Reply
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    It's completely up to you. I, personally, don't like to take risks with my money. My wedding is in late April and we plan to have a tiny outdoor wedding ceremony with 3 guests. If the madates are strict, the type of wedding we're having shouldn't be impacted.
    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our wedding is currently at 100 people if we change to a destination wedding it will be 20 people so that’s another cavort
    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    I meant *Factor not cavort
    • Reply
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I would continue planning as of right now and make a decision sometime next year maybe in March or April
    • Reply
  • Laura
    Beginner May 2021
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    I moved my wedding from May 2021 to October 2021 about 3 weeks ago. Our families have different takes on COVID guidelines and I didn't want to deal with that stress leading up to the day of. It was a hard decision, but I feel a lot of relief now that it is done. I'd reflect on what is more important to you - do you want a big wedding or would you be ok if you had to substantially cut your numbers? Are you anxious to get married ASAP? Could you see this causing tension with families or your fiance? After I thought through those answers, I decided it would be best for me to move it.
    • Reply
  • D
    Donnaly ·
    • Flag

    Making different plans will surely save you a lot of time if the first plan does not work. So goodluck with your wedding Zoey, I wish that 2021 will be different and better for all of us than this year especially for you and your wedding!

    • Reply
  • Rachael
    Savvy April 2021
    Rachael ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Michelle,
    We totally wanted to get married on that date too! But some people in my family are very religious and it would have conflicted with Easter. We’re getting married on 4/10/21 and are planning as usual with a back-up plan to elope. Lol. We’ve been together 6 years and I’m not waiting any longer!!
    • Reply
  • Mariah
    Savvy February 2021
    Mariah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    An extremely small Disney destination wedding sounds like a lovely idea. I'm a huge fan keeping the original date especially since you two made major decisions around that date. Doing your wedding outdoors (Disney or not) will definitely give you more options as far as having a wedding when COVID-19 restrictions may still be in place in May (I hope not, but it's always best to plan for the worse case scenario).

    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! This is our second date so we really don’t want to change it again especially since future hubby is waiting on us to get married before making a career change
    • Reply
  • Mariah
    Savvy February 2021
    Mariah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I totally understand! For years my FH and I planned to keep our anniversary date the same so we are getting married February 7. It'll mark 7 years for us and I told my planner we are not changing it lol

    • Reply
  • J
    Savvy April 2021
    Jaquelyn ·
    • Flag
    I would recommend that you keep planning if that’s what you really want. But, have a back up plan in place and share it with your guests so they’re not surprised if 4 weeks before the wedding you have to make a change. They will make certain decisions in that case to protect themselves and prevent losing money. Monitor the CoVID situation closely. I didn’t and it became a bit of a nightmare when we had to change plans with only 2 weeks notice.
    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Savvy May 2021
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

    I am getting married in May 2021, and I am planning on keeping my date as is! However, I am a huge Disney fan and love the idea of having it there!

    • Reply
  • Teresa
    Dedicated May 2021
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is May 2021 also. We have our 1stc meeting with the venue this Friday. We have so many questions. Even though our guest list is 100 including bridal party, it looks like that maybe significantly lower. Truth be told, I would love everyone there but I also understand if people don't feel comfortable. In the end, we want those closest to us to be there. I'm scared. I got engaged in July 2019 and waited 2 years to have my dream wedding and now I'm not so sure I will.
    • Reply
  • Zoey
    Just Said Yes June 2021
    Zoey Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We decided to cancel with our venue. They ended up laying off their entire event staff and I just felt like it wouldn’t be wise to wait any longer. We have also been engaged since 2019 so I definitely understand the feeling
    • Reply
  • Teresa
    Dedicated May 2021
    Teresa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm hoping we can work something out. Our wedding is at Wedgewood Sierra La Verne. I don't reallyb want to push the date back but I also have to be realistic. 1/2 the wedding is paid for already. People are already telling us if things don't change their not coming. So far I have 100 on my guest like out of the 100, 20 I know won't come due to immuno compromised or parents who have issues (aunts, uncles, and cousin's). Which makes me wonder who else has the same thought process. I'm a little sadness that we may end up with 60 to 80 guests but we decided we weren't going to wait. The venue stated that they may change our reception to an outdoor seating venue but again people may not be comfortable. Wish me luck, guess I'll know more this Friday. I'm glad you came to a decision.
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics