We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Christine
Dedicated November 2020

May 2020 Brides, who is postponing?

Christine, on March 14, 2020 at 12:48 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 23
Saved Save
Reply
I’m getting married 5/2/20. Curious if anyone has made the choice to cancel or is waiting? If you’re waiting when do you think you’ll make a decision? Thanks ladies, sending all this love!

23 Comments

  • L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

    May 9. No. We hope to have some flexibility with the venue. I want to be able to not pay for last minute cancellations but the cutoff is over 2 weeks before. I’m definitely calling all out of towners and confirm they’re still coming. If for some reason, they can’t open, we will have wedding at my nieces home and pray for no rain. We have each other, a wedding dress that doesn’t fit yet, and will get our license in 2 weeks. We’re getting sheet cake from Costco and if we need to pizza for all.

    • Reply
  • Chantal
    Expert August 2020
    Chantal ·
    • Flag
    Not cancelling. We will make the call towards the end of April whether we need to cancel the reception and just have a tiny ceremony for now, but as it is, we are steam rolling ahead!
    • Reply
  • K
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Kathy ·
    • Flag
    We are leaning towards postponing. We are In NYC area where the virus is only going to get worse in the next few weeks. We talked to our venue and they are very understanding of the situation and will let us postpone without a fee. We’d much rather have a wedding where we can all have fun than doing it in May when all the guests will be feeling uneasy about taking a risk and staying far from each other. I think most venues will be understanding in this situation. After all no one wants a 1 star review from guests because they refused to accommodate during a pandemic.
    • Reply
  • Kathy
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    Kathy ·
    • Flag
    I’m getting married April 5, and a couple guests have already canceled. My family all lives out of town and I’m worried they won’t be able to travel here for the wedding. We’re playing it by ear at this point, but if they decide they can’t fly, we’re going to postpone the wedding. We’ll make that call in the next couple weeks. I bought travel insurance for our honeymoon to Costa Rica and wedding insurance in case we need to cancel. This is extremely stressful, as we have been planning this wedding for a year and have spent lots of money and I have lost a lot of sleep. But I want my family there, and want everyone to stay safe and healthy so I will do what I have to do.
    • Reply
  • Allison
    Dedicated September 2020
    Allison ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married May 16th. Venue asked yesterday if we will postpone. The answer is no. Venue is currently open and we will assess the situation as it comes but I'm not cancelling.
    • Reply
  • Jai Butcher
    Super May 2020
    Jai Butcher ·
    • Flag
    May 9. We're still on. Not cancelling or postponing. This may be over by then. Venue is still open. Like others said, 2 weeks before I'll call n confirm
    • Reply
  • Nefetera
    Super March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    As of now we are moving forward and we will know by April 15th excalt if were going to cancell or not
    • Reply
  • Melanie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Melanie ·
    • Flag
    May 3rd & my venue said all is well to keep our date. I’m just hoping my vendors all stick around. But so far no guests have backed out yet. We don’t plan on canceling or postponing.
    • Reply
  • Kelley
    Dedicated July 2020
    Kelley ·
    • Flag

    May 9th in MontCo, PA - I'm hoping and praying that everything will be gone within a few weeks. This makes me not want to do anything wedding related, but then I know if I wait on things I'll be so stressed out too, ugh! This is just so devastating for everyone involved. As of now we are going on as planned, but we'll see in the next week or two how things pan out. Fingers crossed this blows over ASAP!!

    • Reply
  • Christine
    Dedicated November 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Girl we’re in Montco PA too. We’re going to make a call early April. This is all so nuts.
    • Reply
  • Kelley
    Dedicated July 2020
    Kelley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ugh I know 😩! I talked to my wedding Coord earlier today and she also recommended waiting at least these next two weeks out and see what happens before making any decisions. Really really hoping and praying none of us will have to postpone!! 🤞🏼🙏🏼 We already are pushing back my bachelorette party, but luckily we got my bridal shower in yesterday as planned.
    • Reply
  • Christine
    Dedicated November 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We had to cancel the bridal shower 😔 it might be that way with the wedding too. Hopefully worst case we will postpone a year out and still get married at the courthouse on the original date and celebrate/vow renewal a year out.
    • Reply
  • Kelley
    Dedicated July 2020
    Kelley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Aww I'm so sorry Smiley cry Yea I already told my FH that IF we have to postpone, we'll go the courthouse route and celebrate with close family/friends. Then plan a big party later on. I refuse to let my dress go to waste lol! So far our venue and vendors have been really sweet and accommodating since this is so unprecedented. I'm just telling everyone I'm not making any decisions just yet. Feel free to DM me if you want to vent, us brides gotta stick together through this!

    • Reply
  • Christine
    Dedicated November 2020
    Christine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much!
    • Reply
  • Serena
    Devoted October 2020
    Serena ·
    • Flag
    We live in MontCo too! Our wedding is in NC. Just came home yesterday with marriage license. So far all vendors are still good to go. Unfortunately with so many places closed, some of our guests are out of work and need to cancel. We completely understand
    • Reply
  • S
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Shelley ·
    • Flag

    Our wedding is 5/24 and we are holding off a couple weeks to make the final decision but are definitely leaning towards cancelling. We know many of our guests will not be able to travel, plus with the 8-week ban of gatherings greater than 50 that brings us right up to a week before the wedding. We feel uncomfortable putting pressure on our guests both health-wise and financially. Considering an intimate ceremony some time this summer!

    • Reply
  • Leslie
    Just Said Yes September 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    I am sure we will need to postpone our 5/9 wedding. I just reached out to our vendor, and they are not even operating now.It’s very sad but given everything else We just need to keep it in perspective.Unfortunately we are already booked and paid for our Greek honeymoon with a cruise so I have no idea what we’re gonna do with that. Need to start working on that portion
    • Reply
  • Stephanie
    Savvy July 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

    Our wedding was scheduled for 5/8 but we postponed and will now be getting married 7/17. We felt like we had no choice since the CDC recommended that any large gatherings of 50+ or more be postponed or cancelled. It was a very difficult decision to make since all of our invitations have gone out and a lot of wedding decor has our original wedding date on it. I'm just praying that things will die down in the next few weeks. Good look to all of your May brides! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Courtney
    Dedicated July 2020
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

    Mine was May 30th but we made the tough decision this morning to postpone. My fiancé wanted to hold out until mid-april but I didn't want to send out all our invites and put pressure on people to RSVP without knowing how this situation is going to go in the next weeks and months. I am praying its over soon, but with so much uncertainty I could not keep my mind at ease. We postponed to July 18th. So not terribly far out, but hopefully enough time for this to pass. I am sending out change of date cards that I found as a free PDF on etsy, and shutterfly is sending me all new invites for no charge which I am incredibly grateful for. We have 250 people on our guestlist. If the wedding was smaller, I may of felt more comfortable waiting things out for a few more weeks but with the CDC guidelines right now, I just don't see them wanting gatherings of 250 in just 9 weeks.

    Although I am very very disappointed that I had to postpone, at the same time there is a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

    Good luck to all of you May brides!! Thinking of all of you!

    • Reply
  • MeetTheRobinsons
    Devoted June 2020
    MeetTheRobinsons ·
    • Flag
    May 9th is our wedding day; we've decided to wait it out. Our vendors are very understanding and has given of options of rescheduling or a refund. We are going to touch back the third week of April and see how things are at that time. Trying to stay positive as I can in the midst of it all...
    • Reply

Comment on this discussion

×

Related articles