We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Steph
Dedicated October 2020

Marriage license

Steph, on June 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Posted in Planning 0 15
Saved Save
Hi does anyone know when to get a marriage license? Also where do i go and what do I bring
I鈥檓 getting married oct 23 and wanted to get it sooner than later but I heard you have to get it 30 days before ... any sooner ??

15 Comments

Latest activity by Alex, on July 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM
  • Samantha
    Devoted July 2020
    Samantha
    • Flag
    They expire after 60 days, so it has to be within 60 days before. I called the court house and they directed me to marriages and we set up an appointment. We had to fill out the form before going and all we needed was our IDs! We actually just got ours today 馃グ
  • L
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa Online
    • Flag
    I think it depends on what state you live in, they each have slightly different requirements for getting the marriage license. Some also have a waiting period in between applying for the license and when you can receive it, and some are valid for a shorter period of time (30 days instead of 60, etc).
  • Jill
    Jill
    • Flag
    It depends on the state. In CA it's 90 days.
  • Megan
    Expert October 2020
    Megan
    • Flag
    It varies by county by sister was 30 days out my county was 60 days but we are both in California. I would call your county clerk or just go on the website it usually says it right on the application
  • Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica
    • Flag
    Every state is different so you鈥檒l want to check the requirements where you鈥檙e getting married.
  • Stacey
    Devoted May 2021
    Stacey Online
    • Flag

It really depends on where you live - not only the state, but the county. You should call your local government and ask these questions - unfortunately, in a public forum like this you will likely get advice that may be incorrect for your particular situation. Do you have an officiant? If so, they should be able to steer you to the correct place.

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen
    • Flag
    It depends on the state. I would call your town clerk鈥檚 office and ask them what to do. I was really anxious about this so I called like 6 months before the wedding and she gave me all the info I鈥檇 need and told me when to make an appointment, what to bring, etc.
  • Anna
    Super October 2020
    Anna
    • Flag
    Depends on your state. Some expire in 30 days, some 60 days. Check your states requirements. Most say both partners have to appear in person. NC says we have to come within 30 days, our date is October 24, so I鈥檓 planning for us to go the beginning of the month.
  • A
    Expert December 2020
    Anais
    • Flag
    It depends on the state and possibly county. Just google 鈥渕arriage license + state you live in鈥 and you should be able to get all the information you need.
  • Mindy
    Super November 2020
    Mindy
    • Flag
    I think It honestly depends on the state/locality that you live in. I know since my FH was married years ago, we have to have a copy of his divorce decree, as well as some other pieces of paperwork. Which means we have to get in contact with a courthouse in another state and pay for a copy of that before we can go to our local courthouse clerk and apply and pay for our marriage license 馃う馃徏鈥嶁檧锔
    I鈥檓 pretty sure it鈥檚 60 days in Virginia as well. So we can鈥檛 go before October to get ours.
  • Martha
    Devoted October 2022
    Martha Online
    • Flag

Each state is different have you searched online some states allow you to apply online then they send it out to you.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie
    • Flag

It depends on the county you live in! The county clerk鈥檚 office will have all of that information for you!

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan
    • Flag

It depends on the state you live in. I would check online. But here in NC, we went to the Register of Deeds with our ID's about 2 weeks before our wedding to get ours. They are good for 60 days.

• Katharine
    Expert July 2021
    Katharine
    • Flag

Varies by state/county. Google "Marriage License" for the county you're getting married in to find out for your area.

I was able to mail our application in (after having it notarized) 60 days before the wedding.

• A
    Super August 2020
    Alex
    • Flag

This is completely dependent on the state you get married in. I know Nebraska you can it get up to a year before your wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles