F
Just Said Yes September 2019

Less guests than expected? Smaller wedding

Fall2019, on September 5, 2019 at 8:51 AM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save
Hi everyone! So it turns out that we will be having less guests than expected (~53, including wedding parties) and I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that smaller weddings can still be fun? lol

We have always wanted a small-ish wedding with just the friends and family that are the closest to us. For us, that ended up meaning that we invited a little over 80 people and after talking to our guests etc we knew before we really sent out invitations that we could expect about 65-70 to show up and I thought that was a perfect guest count. However, over the last week a lot of people have changed their RSVPs to no. Some reasons were legitimate but some were just the result of bad planning on the guests' part. I know there's not much we can do about it now given that we're 2 weeks out but I'm worried that guests won't have as much fun / won't want to dance? Should we still do the standard wedding party entrances / exits, etc?

With the smaller guest count we've been able to upgrade some items for the rehearsal dinner for example (at which all our guests are invited) and add a photo booth for the wedding reception. So in that regard it's been nice but I can't help but worry. I know I'm overthinking this but any encouragement is appreciated!

9 Comments

• Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·

I totally get this - we invited 100 with the expectation of having 75 - 80, and as our RSVPs stand right now, 65 - 70 seems a lot more likely. The way I see it, the most important people are still going to be there, we're still having all the components of the wedding we wanted, and if it's a few less people, that's just what it is. Since the counts are lower, we're splurging a little more on things like drinks, and having our caterer/baker handle more things instead of doing them ourselves. I don't want to spend money just to spend money, but if we hit a snag or decision that can be solved by throwing a little more money at it, we're definitely more willing to do that.

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    I got married in May on the beach and because it was a destination wedding we kept it small. We had 53 people including wedding party and it was a blast! We had tons of people say it was one of the best weddings they’ve been to. We were able to spend time with everyone. The key is fun music, good food and drinks. Our guests danced from the he first song to the last and we continued the party at a local bar afterwards. The number of people doesn’t make the wedding more fun.....it’s all about the people. Enjoy it! Good luck.
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    We invited 120 and had 54ish people (totally expected, essentially a destination wedding for everybody). It was so much fun!! One of my lifelong friends told me it was the best wedding she's been to!
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    I think a smaller wedding is a better idea. I had a giant 250 people wedding and it was overwhelming because you don't get to socialize with anyone, really !
  • Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·

If there is good food, good music, and the couple there to celebrate with, it's a party! Smaller weddings can be just as much fun, especially when it is the people who really want to be there for you. We currently have a total of 46 including us and we're looking forward to spending quality time with our guests and dancing the night away too.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias Online ·
    We had 40 guests and everyone raved how much fun they had. We had a 9-piece band and people danced all night. We were able to splurge on everyone by keeping the guest list small. It was very cozy and intimate but still a lot of fun.
  • Cher Horowitz
    Rockstar December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·

PPs have mentioned lots of perks to a smaller wedding! Remember, it's about quality, not quantity

• Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·

We invited 141 and ended up with 83? I had expected more like 100, or so.

Mostly that was because my mother's side of the family refused to come en masse, so we lost roughly 30 people before the usual attrition rate.

You would have never known - we had tons of room to dance, mingle, and enjoy each other!

• F
    Just Said Yes September 2019
    Fall2019 ·

Thank you all!! You've made me feel better about having a smaller wedding. I know that the people closest to us will be there and that's all that matters. I think I just freaked out a bit wandering if guests would still have fun but we'll have lots of drinks, good food, and good music!!

Comment on this discussion