Monique
Rockstar December 2019

Kids at bridal shower

Monique, on September 16, 2019 at 9:31 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 21
Saved Save
Hi all, just curious if anyone has ever had/or may have kids at their bridal shower? My sister just told me there is a lady who wants to come but her husband works a lot and will be working day of. Her two babysitters are my friends and will be at the party so no luck there. She has a little girl, boy, and baby. All under 6. Thoughts?

21 Comments

• Caitlin
    Dedicated August 2020
    Caitlin ·
    I’m pretty sure I will be having a few kids at mine, as two of my friends have babies/toddlers! I don’t think it’ll be an issue (:
  • M
    Super September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    Does she not have any relatives or a back up Baby-Sitter?

If not, she can search Care.com to locate one.
  • Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Both her sitter and backup will be at my party.
  • Kat_
    Super October 2019
    Kat_ ·
    We had an infant and a 7 year old and it was perfect!
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
    Destiny ·

I more than likely will have 4 kids there 2,3,4,5 n thats so long as no1 is pregnant and i dont know it again lol, i dont see them very often so i dont mind

• Lauren
    Super September 2019
    Lauren ·
    I had 4 little girls at my shower, 1 - 4 years old. All at various stages of behaving. They were fine. I would rather have had their moms' there than have them miss it for a little bit of a quieter event.
  • Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    I had 4 girls at my shower. It's not uncommon.
  • Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    A ton of the people that will be invited to the shower in my hometown have kids so I’m assuming several kids will be there. Growing up, I always attended showers with my mom because I loved everything about weddings. Most of the showers I’ve been to have had at least 4 or 5 kids there. It’s a common thing!
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    There will probably be a lot of kids at mine. It depends if we make it a bridal shower or wedding shower though. If it's just bridal most of the kids will probably stay home with their dads.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    View Quoted Comment
    This. I have been to, and given, a lot of showers where mom's had to bring kids. It has always been fine, no mis eha in, and better than having mom's miss the part. I don't know about near you, but here, Care.com sitters want $25 an hour, add $5 when more than 2 kids. And you pay an extra half hour to get them acquainted with kids. 4 hours minimum, at $25 to $30 an hour is more than most people can pay to attend a shower . I don't have $100-$120 laying around for an extra party, if already paying g a sitter 6-10 hours for a wedding, plus shower gift and wedding gift. And everyone at showers I have been to has accepted the few kids whose mom's just don't have the choice, either a free or regular sitter, or money for a top dollar gig sitter.
  • Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    I have brought my son to bridal showers when he was younger. He was also either an infant or kids were invited to the shower. He used to love helping hand the presents to the bride. I think age 6 and under would be ok, but that depends on the kids. If they’re known to be out of control, you may want to deny the request. If they’re generally well behaved, you probably wouldn’t notice them being there.

I see some other posters talking about searching for a sitter online. Honestly I would never be comfortable doing that no matter how good the reviews were. I am also not sure I would appreciate someone telling me to go find a random stranger online so I can attend a bridal shower, even though it would be a well intentioned suggestion. My point is to consider the mothers reaction before telling her this. If she’s asking, give her the benefit of the doubt that she’s looked into all her options and just decide if you’re ok with kids or not.
  • Monique
    Rockstar December 2019
    Monique ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I would never ask her to do that. That’s why I asked. I think If I had my own kids I would have trouble leaving them with some random person. I think she ended up deciding not to go though regardless.
  • NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·

My sister brought her daughters (13, 9, and 8) and they are great additions! Very helpful and they loved the experience haha I love kids so I was happy they could come

• Megan
    Expert October 2019
    Megan ·
    I had my son and both of our nephews and niece. It's my bachelorette party that I wouldnt want kids at... the bridal shower was just food, some fun games, and conversation.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    My cousin brought her 4 year old and she was seriously the life of the party !
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

Yep! I thought it was odd not to include them. We had three babies all under three and they were super adorable & fun!

• Alyssa
    Dedicated January 2020
    Alyssa ·

I'll have babies and kids as old as 12 at mine! If this was a bachelorette party, I wouldn't have kids at it. Bridal showers are usually pretty family-friendly in my experience.

• Cassi
    Super October 2019
    Cassi ·

I'm a mom and I brought my son to my best friends bridal shower, he was at my bridal shower (this past weekend, along with two of my bridesmaids infants). He pretty much goes everywhere with me lol

• MD
    Super July 2019
    MD ·

There were kids at all 3 of my showers. They were all well behaved, and if anything they provided entertainment. Everyone made all over the babies, and I had the older girls help me open presents and pass stuff around to guests.

• Jess
    Devoted October 2019
    Jess ·
    I think it depends on the type of shower. sometimes the shower gifts can be a little naughty and i personally wouldn’t want my young child asking any questions and passing that info along to other young children (because that was me as a child 😂). i think if you and the parents feel comfortable with it then why not!

Comment on this discussion