Keri
Expert November 2019

Just booked Honeymoon to Italy!

Keri, on July 26, 2019 at 5:30 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 8
Saved Save

Hey everyone! Super excited to go to Italy in December for our honeymoon. While the wedding is in November, I can't take off that much time off work. I'm a teacher so we are going during Christmas break! We have our flight to Rome booked, but that's it. Our goal is to stay cental/southern Italy near the coast.

Anyone ever been? Any suggestions/tips? We've never been to Europe before. Smiley smile

8 Comments

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Rome is just so picturesque!

Good choice.
  • Grace
    Dedicated December 2019
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    Wonderful choice for December!
    They do Christmas big because of the Vatican! The Christmas markets are stunning! If you're going through Christmas, be sure you have something to do on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day after as many things will be closed.
    Get good shoes that you can walk in comfortably, also be prepared for rain.
    Buy a translation book while you're still in the US and look for cheaper currency exchanges before your trip because they only go up once you're in Europe. Don't do taxi's, Europe is awful for taxi's, especially in countries that don't speak primarily English and you're not used the the currency exchange. Get a handle on the currency before you leave, getting back the wrong change is common.
    But it's going to be stunning! What a wonderful honeymoon!

• R
    Expert September 2018
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    A Lonely Planet or Fodora book on Italy may help you. Vatican is big on Christmas, so plan around that (meaning there might be long lines to enter). With the coast, you may want to research if it’s still active for vacationing that time of year. We stayed in the Amalfi Coast a few days on our honeymoon and loved it! That was in Sept when it was still warm and pretty busy. I’ve heard wonderful things about Sorrento, and it’s a bigger city than the Amalfi towns, so that might be a good option. We really enjoyed Florence on our honeymoon, but that’s central Italy, not on either coast.
  • Kimberly
    Beginner October 2020
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Go to Florence! I lived in Florence & North Italy for almost a year and it’s the most romantic city in my opinion. Other places you can reach by train from Rome: Venice & Verona. Skip Milan unless you’re planning on doing luxury shopping. Bring a cute bag with a strap so it’s easy to travel around with! I wouldn’t worry too much about the language barrier given most Italians can speak English in touristy areas. Bring cute/comfortable shoes with all the walking & pictures.
  • Lisa
    Devoted October 2020
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    We went a few years ago, and love it! Try to go to Venice! It would be very romantic for a honeymoon!
  • Wendy
    Super August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    We went on an all inclusive guided tour to multiple cities in Italy and one of the hotels we stayed at in Rome was Genova Hotel. It was back in 2015 and it was under construction. The hotel itself was okay, we barely spent any time there since we were on a schedule. But I liked that it was right in the center of things and walking distance to a lot of restaurants.. worth checking it out... and congratulations!!! You will have a blast!! I can’t wait to go again!
  • Wendy
    Super August 2020
    Wendy ·
    • Flag
    So this is all the hotels we stayed at... and from what I remember they were right in the middle of things! Check them out Smiley smile

Just booked Honeymoon to Italy! 1

Just booked Honeymoon to Italy! 2
  • Danielle
    Expert March 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

We just did Italy for our honeymoon in March! We did 4 nights each Rome, Parma and Venice. Took the train between each, it was easy. We were all about the food, so we did a walking food tour in the neighborhood of our hotel in Rome, another food tour in Parma to the factories where they make cheese, ham and balsamic, and then a pasta making class in Parma too. We also booked small group guided tours of the Vatican and the Colosseum/Forum.

Rome Hotel - I love this neighborhood, you can walk to all the big sites and its right around the corner from a market - https://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/

Rome food tour - we did this our first night, it was in the neighborhood of our hotel and helped get our bearings, plus figure out what we would want to eat the rest of the week! https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g187791-d11452224-Small_Group_Rome_Food_Walking_Tour_Trastevere_Campo_de_Fiori_Jewish_Ghetto-Rome_La.html

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics