C
Beginner December 2019

Junior Bridesmaid whats appropriate?

Callie, on October 20, 2019 at 11:49 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 7
Saved Save
I was 10 years old when my mom had me be a junior bridesmaid in her wedding. Now my sister is 11 years old and going to be a junior bridesmaid in my wedding. My mom Keeps complaining that she is to young. My sister is happy. How old is to young to be a junior bridesmaid in a wedding? And How old is to old to be a flower girl. What is appropriate?

7 Comments

• V
    VIP July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Our flower girls were 6 and almost 8. According to Google a junior bridesmaid is older than 8, but younger than 14. To me, 11 is too old to be a bridesmaid so I would just have her be a junior bridesmaid. I'm guessing your mom is considered because of things like a bachelorette party and the type of activities that often occur at bachelorette parties like strippers or drinking. For my wedding, my bridesman and one of my bridesmaids were under 21 and I don't drink so we didn't have alcohol or strippers. If you want to include your sister in your bachelorette party my suggestion is to have a kid friendly bachelorette party or do something different with your sister which make might your mom feel better about her being a junior bridesmaid.
  • L
    Dedicated March 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    My two 10 year old nieces will be junior bridesmaids. I was a junior bridesmaid when I was 12 in two of my brothers weddings. Do whatever you want. It’s no big deal. They obviously would not be invited to the bachelorette party, but what 10 year old is thinking, oh darn I wasn’t allowed to go hang out with my aunt and her friends on a Saturday night at a night club????
  • Sarah
    Devoted April 2022
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I think 11 is the perfect age to be a junior bridesmaid. A kid that age probably wouldn’t want to be a flower girl, especially if there are other flower girls who are a lot younger than her.

We’re going to have have 5 flower kiddos (boys and girls) who’ll be between 3-6 years old by the time of our wedding and 5 junior attendants (boys and girls) who’ll be between 8-13 by the time of our wedding.

I think it might be helpful for your mom to explain to her how your junior bridesmaid will have a different role from a regular bridesmaid—you likely won’t expect her to help with planning or coordination, and you probably won’t invite her to the bachelorette. For us, our junior attendants will mostly be there to wrangle the flower kiddos during the ceremony—they’ll walk them down the aisle and then return them to their parents, and a lot of them are already siblings or cousins of each other.
  • Jocelyn
    Devoted December 2019
    Jocelyn ·
    • Flag

11 is a perfect age for a junior bridesmaid and I was a flower girl in my grandmothers wedding at 8-9 years old. My flower girl for my wedding is 5 and i have no junior bridesmaids. Anything ten and up may be to old for a flower girl but its your wedding and you can do what you want. Let mom know your sister is happy being a junior brides maid and you want her in the wedding party.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I think this is a decision for your sister. One of my flower girls was 11. I asked her if she wanted to be a junior bridesmaid or a flower girl and she chose flower girl. She was really looking forward to it, so she and her 2 sisters were my flower girls at ages 11, 9, and 7.

Junior Bridesmaid whats appropriate? 1

• Anna
    Devoted April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

My 3 little sisters, ages 10, 14, 15, are going to be my jr. bridesmaids lol. I asked the 10 yr old if she wanted to be a flower girl and she said shes too old lol. But its your wedding, you do what you want.

• Renee
    Super April 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag

I feel like age doesn't matter. If you want her to be a flower girl, a jr bridesmaid, or just call her a regular bridesmaid, that's completely up to you. My 13 year old daughter is going to be a flower girl. David's Bridal carries flower girl dresses up to size 14 so it's whatever makes you happy. I know some people might say my daughter is too old but oh well. It makes our family happy and that's what matters Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion