A
Dedicated January 2019

January Weddings?

Amanda, on November 30, 2017 at 10:04 PM Posted in Planning 0 16
Saved

We have decided to go with an early January wedding. Like the fifth? We want to do a gold new year's theme. Is this a bad time for weddings? Like right after the holidays? I personally love the idea because it's different and not a lot of people do it. Thoughts?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Nibanez, on January 26, 2018 at 1:10 AM
  • Katie
    Expert July 2018
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Jan 5 2018 or 2019?

• Amy
    Dedicated December 2017
    Amy ·
    • Flag

I'm a fan of winter weddings (obviously). Weather can be a concern depending on where you live, so keep that in mind. You may have more declines because out of town people don't want to risk traveling in questionable weather, or they just did travel a couple weeks before for the holidays and don't want to go anywhere else. It may also be hard for some to get time off work to come since they probably just took time off for the holidays. If you will have mostly local guests, those issues probably don't matter as much. You may be able to get discounts with many vendors being off season. If you are in a location that can have a real winter, consider keeping your ceremony and reception venues in the same building or within a couple minutes drive in case of inclement weather.

• Haley
    Dedicated January 2018
    Haley ·
    • Flag

I'm assuming you mean 2019 because making 2018 work would be incredibly difficult.

I'm having my wedding January 6th, 2018, and I'm not finding that it's harder/ a bad time because it's right after the holidays. I would just recommend sending your invitations slightly earlier than the suggested time. People will forget about them with the holidays coming up. Our RSVP due date is tomorrow and I'm still waiting to hear from ~90 people.

• Leelee
    VIP September 2018
    Leelee ·
    • Flag

If I'm being honest it's among the worst timeframes for a wedding. In early January people are burnt out (both mentally and financially) from the holidays. That said, I'm sure your closest friends and family will show up for you. If you want a big guest list, maybe think about other months of the year.

• brieliz
    VIP January 2017
    brieliz ·
    • Flag

I got married 1/7 of last year. Depending on your location, weather is obviously a concern. I had wedding insurance that covered weather cancellations, I had talked about back up plans if it snows with all my vendors/venue, and I added in weather related accommodations - including a coat check, and paid for the closest parking garage to my venue. Some people on my in laws side were a little hesitant it being right after Christmas - my in laws thought we wouldn't get as much cash since it's right after the holidays but we told them that didn't matter and they moved on.

We got 6 inches of snow and had 8 people rsvp yes but not come because of snow. Which was fine because I expected it. It was such a cozy and romantic day and I highly recommend it if you can plan for the little extra weather related details.

• Margarita
    Dedicated December 2017
    Margarita ·
    • Flag

I love winter weddings, and I'm having one myself! And I had 105/130 accept, and it's Christmas weekend! So it's not necessary true that you may have a high decline rate.

I say do it! But maybe I'm biased..

• Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag

I love winter weddings but, either have a true NYE/NYD wedding or move it further from the first of the year. I know I wouldn't be able to get off work unless you told me a year ahead of time

• Hallie
    Beginner January 2019
    Hallie ·
    • Flag

That's our date! We liked the idea because we figured families with kids wouldn't have to worry about them missing school to travel since they most likely wouldn't start back until the next week. Same thing with any college students. We do have a lot of out-of-town guests and are planning to send out save the dates really early (Febuary/March), given that it is around the holidays so they can plan in advance.

• Kaye
    VIP October 2018
    Kaye ·
    • Flag

I'm attending a wedding on the 6th of this yr. I worry a lot for the bride that bad weather will shut the wedding down.

• A
    Dedicated January 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

We live in the Deep South so snow isn't really a concern with us!

• Trevor
    Savvy January 2019
    Trevor ·
    • Flag

All of our guests are out of state and half out of country. We are inviting close to 40. A lot of them are educators or in grad school. Basically the date works for our small crowd but wouldn't for all.

• Amanda
    Master January 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

We were married on the 7th of January and it was great! We even got some incredible outdoor photos (most of my favorites were outdoor). If you have snow in your area, wedding photos in snow are so gorgeous! The ONLY downside is less daylight and, sometimes, weather. A few of my younger cousins (and one of their parents) couldn't make it due to school schedules, so also keep that in mind as well--many kids are back in school by then and winter break is over and they may not be able to miss school. It was storming on our wedding day but people still drove 1+ hour to witness our nuptials and then another 20 minutes to our reception. The biggest upside of winter weddings is the discounts! We got discounts on our photo package (20% off!) and a few other things that I can't remember now lol but it saved us a considerable amount. (When contacting vendors, always ASK if they offer any off-season discounts.) It's more likely that your top venues and vendors will be available for your date as well (but a word of advice is that sometimes certain venues schedule maintenance/remodels during the off-season). We had to find a new photographer a month before the wedding and we were able to, with several choices, which I'm certain would NOT have been the case if we had a spring, summer, or fall wedding. We did have our RSVP date a bit earlier than normal because we assumed people would be busy with the holidays by mid-December so we set it for earlier in the month for sufficient time and planning. I don't think it was any more difficult to plan--it's not like it was right before/after Christmas or on New Year's Eve. We actually saved on some stuff because we requested that the Christmas stuff be left up at our ceremony site, so we didn't have to pay for many florals or additional decorations there! I'm so there for the winter wedding aesthetic: metallics, pretty neutrals, coziness and warmth, soft textures, jewel tones, soft greens... heck yes! Our colors were silver, gold, grayed jade, pale blush, and ivory.

• Sarah
    Dedicated January 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We're doing a DW in Hawaii in January 6th. We invited 40 people. 37 are coming. None of the people who couldn't come declined due to it being too soon after the holidays, or worrying about traveling in winter.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

We pretty much always have weddings the first weekend after NYE....it extends the holiday a bit and mine have always been really fun.

The bottom line truth is that it doesn't matter what date you pick, someone will find it problematic....it's a holiday, it's too close to school opening, I just took time off for summer vacation, its football season. My personal feeling is that if your wedding isn't compelling enough for your guests to work around it, they simply RSVP 'no'. The world will keep turning, you'll still be married, and those who come will have a great time. We set our discretionary priorities and while we'd all like to think WE are someone ELSE's, very often it's not true, especially as you reach the far edges of your guest list.

Set the date, end send out STD's if you must, alert your closest relatives, and let the chips fall where they may without taking it personally.

I like it.

I WOULD investigate weather policies with your venue and vendors though. We had two weddings last year that had to move from one day to the next.....

• Nicole
    Savvy September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    We just decided on doing a January wedding as well! At first I was nervous too about it being to close after the holidays, but now not so much. Like a lot of other people I said, I think we’re just going to send our save the dates out a litter earlier. And if your trying to save some money, January is a lot cheaper for most vendors. There’s also so many cute ideas you can do with a January wedding that I’m finding on Pinterest. Like having a hot coco bar! If you give people plenty of notice I think everything will work out! Of course you’ll have some people decline, but that will be with any month. Good luck (:
  • Nibanez
    Savvy January 2019
    Nibanez ·
    • Flag
    Im getting married January 26th and like one post said above people will always fine something to not go if they really don’t want to go. I think your date is fine if you give people enough notice the date doesn’t matter. Best of luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics