Ashley
Just Said Yes September 2020

Is it too soon? What’s first??

Ashley, on October 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved Save
Is it too soon to start planning or buying anything? We are getting married September 2020, it seems like we have a while to figure things out (I already know the basics of how I want it to be thanks to years of pinning on Pinterest for this day) but I’m conflicted. I want to set back and enjoy our engagement, but I also don’t want to wait last minute either on things & end up rushing around. I thought about waiting until January to really sit back & start planning, but I’m still unsure. Plus, I really don’t know where to start. Any advise?

18 Comments

• Shelby
    Devoted November 2020
    Shelby ·
    • Flag
    Our wedding is November 7, 2020. We have the venue, caterer, bartender, and DJ (because it’s included in the venue), my dress, and the photographer. Our first monthly payment to the venue starts next month. I wanted to get ahead of everything so that way the closer it got to the day of I could just focus on getting the little things or finishing up payments. I am asking the bridesmaids to be bridesmaids next month and the same day I ask them we will be going out dress shopping because my MOH is FH’s sister and she lives in California and we in Florida so I have to shop with her while she is visiting because she won’t be back in Florida until the wedding.
  • Brandi
    Devoted November 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    First, congratulations! I got engaged Sept 1 2019 and am getting married 11/07/2020. I have my venue, DJ, photographer, and flower girl dress. I’m going wedding dress shopping. I say this all to say that it’s not too early at all. It’s actually perfect timing. For me, planning and booking early allowed me to know my costs and expenses and begin preparing to make the necessary payments. Also, it meant that I wouldn’t be spending later months stressing about these details and enjoy my engagement. Finally, I was scared that the vendors that I wanted would be booked and I would have to go for 2nd choices especially, because weddings and events book fast. People have things from 2018 booked for 2020. Of course, your pace is your pace. But, it’s never too early. I would say a good place to start is asking your fiancé how the both of you envision that day. Agree on what you want, budget and, guest capacity and move from there. Venue, catering, DJ, and, photographer should come next. And the rest will flow. I wish you the best.
  • Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    It’s not to early. You should create a budget first then quickly find your venue. Many venues book 1-2 years in advance. Then I would start looking for a photographer, caterer, etc. Good luck!
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey Online ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I are getting married on September 12th, 2020. We have the venue, caterer, DJ, photographer, officiant, baker, my dress, and we decided to book the rehearsal dinner spot today because its within walking distance of the venue which was important to us. I couldn't relax knowing what had to be done. So I got a lot done early. Right now I'm finally enjoying the engagement.

Maybe start talking about how many guests you would like to have and looking at venues.
  • Adriana
    Beginner September 2020
    Adriana ·
    • Flag
    It’s never too early to start. I’m getting married in September 2020 as well and we got engaged in March, the day after we got engaged we picked a date and our wedding party. That week I started researching photographers, videographer and Djs (next to the venues they are quick to book) once we did that we looked at venues and picked it. I went dress shopping this past spring for my dress, my girls went shopping for their a few weeks ago. We looked at rings, he purchased mine but I need to look and get his. We have it so the big things are done. What’s left which we’ll start after the first of year are flowers and catering stuff. We’ll do our pictures next month (our photographer recommended a year out) and then we’ll meet with the Dj a month before the big day.
    I recommend doing the big stuff first if you are able to so that you can enjoy engagement for a couple of months before the planning starts again
  • Anna
    Devoted April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

My wedding is in april and we started booking since march. Pretty much over a year. I couldn't risk my favorite place being booked at all. Plus i feel a little bit relaxed knowing that everything is booked. Now is just the little details, but if i didn't book anything, i wouldn't be this relaxed.

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    You should definitely start looking at vendors now. Vendors, especially venues and photographers, book years in advance. 10 months is already pushing it. You also don’t have a date until you have a venue. If you haven’t signed a contract yet, it’s going to be difficult
    to find something still available in such a popular month.
  • Kaylee
    Dedicated September 2020
    Kaylee ·
    • Flag
    I'm also getting married in September 2020 and have all of the big stuff done and am on to the details. I would definitely start now with the bigger things such as caterer, florist, DJ, bartender, photographer etc. and then move on to the decor, down to the details planning. I've been planning since January and have changed my mind so many times about things. There's a lot of details that go into it and it takes a lot of time. Plus, if you start buying stuff now and spread things out you don't have to spend a big chunk of money all at once. I would say it's definitely not too soon to start.
  • Kelly
    Savvy October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

I have to agree with the others that it's not too early to get started. I got engaged January 13, 2019, and my wedding is one year from today! We locked in the venue in late May, and I bought my dress in July. The other day my MOH and one bridesmaid started looking at dresses for them. I'm trying to get everything done by the end of this year so all I have to focus on is getting alterations for my dress and the smaller details.

• Eri
    Expert October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

As PPs mentioned, it's definitely not too soon.

I got engaged in August of last year, and even though we still have a year to go, by now I have all of our big things booked.

Venues, photographers, DJs, and even hair stylists can book up 2+ years out. This isn't to freak you out or anything, because you definitely still have time, but I would not wait til January to start. You don't want to miss out on a vendor you really love just because you waited too long.

I actually started planning shortly after we got engaged, and then I was able to take a bit of a break from wedding planning. I don't feel like I missed out on any engagement enjoyment, even with getting such an early jump on things. Smiley smile

Good luck!

• Mandee
    Dedicated September 2020
    Mandee ·
    • Flag

I got engaged 10/5/19 for our 10/4/20 wedding next year. I'm really only looking at the two biggest budget lines for us right now: the venue and the caterer. I want those nailed down ASAP so I have a longer time to make payments on those things and how much I have left in the budget for other things!

• Michelle
    Expert September 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Hi,
    We're September 2020 as well and have pretty much everything booked (we started planning earlier this year) Now would be the time to get on it, especially with venue and caterer which are sometimes booked like a year or 2 out! You will still enjoy your engagement but you will have some work ahead of you. Photographer and videographer were our biggest challenge and took the longest. Even though we started research early, some of them were already booked for our date. Not all but some of our top picks.

Don't stress it but do get to work. Once you lock in your vendors with those deposits, you'll feel a lot better and will actually be able to enjoy the engagement!
  • Meghan
    Beginner October 2020
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I got engaged in early August, but didn't set a date until mid September. Once we knew we want to get married in October 2020 we immediately started looking at venues. We have contacted about 30 venues we like, and so far have only found ONE that has availability on the day we chose, and another couple is interested in booking it. The vendor is unable to give us a tour until late October, so we are hoping the other couple does not book it before we have a chance to even see it. Its definitely not too early for you to start planning and booking venues! A woman my FH works with said she and her FH booked their venue 2+years in advance.
  • Cassie
    Dedicated November 2020
    Cassie ·
    • Flag

We got engaged in December of 2018, and are getting married on Nov 8., 2020

We booked our venue right away. I would say at least get that tackled. and now at 13 month away, I have booked my florist,caterer, photographer and baker. I have gotten quotes for DJ and Hair and make up, limos and rental and will be putting those deposits here shortly. I have also chosen and set up room blocks (90% guests are out of town). What I have learned is that the vendors begin to book up very quickly... if there is a vendor you absolutely want.... then get them booked. Time will fly by.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

It's not too early at all. By 1 year out, we had our venue, day of coordinator, florist, photographer, and hair and makeup booked. Our budget & guest list was done, engagement pictures scheduled, and bridesmaids proposed to & their dress picked out.

• Holly
    Savvy September 2020
    Holly ·
    • Flag

You should wait until January! We have been engaged for 1 year already, and our date is in September 2020. I have my dress, a possible photographer and literally nothing else. I went to Vegas to see some venues but didn't get around to it but I am not stressed out about it. Since it's a destination wedding, I will need to have my invitations out in the next few months (with a venue lol). The budget and venue should come first. Don't follow my footsteps! Best of luck and congrats!

• Shayna
    Savvy August 2020
    Shayna ·
    • Flag

Definitely not too soon to start planning! We're getting married August 2020, and have all major vendors booked (venue, dress, DJ, photographer, florist) and basically know all the smaller details we would like as well. I think it's better to enjoy the planning process by booking everything sooner rather than later so you're not running around later if vendors you want are already book and so on.

Also for your second question in what's first/next I did the following

1. Figure out your budget

2. Create the guest list (this will let you know a rough estimate on what venue/caterers you can book)

3. Have an idea on what month/year you would love to get married in. Then start looking for venue/caterers. Once these are booked then you can decide on other vendors based on the date chosen.

• Deirdre
    Super March 2018
    Deirdre ·
    • Flag

Not sure where you are located, but I'm in MA and September is a very popular wedding time, so most venues get booked over a year in advance. I would jump on finding a venue ASAP. Other major vendors as well like photographer, DJ, caterer.

Comment on this discussion