We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Lisa
Rockstar July 2022

Is It Better To Do An Unplugged Ceremony?

Lisa, on December 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 47
Saved Save
With an unplugged ceremony, you don't have to worry about guests' phones getting in the way of the photographer. But you would also miss out on seeing photos from the guest's perspective.

Did you do an unplugged ceremony? Did guests respect it, or did they take pictures on their phones anyway? If you didn't do an unplugged ceremony, did your photographer have issues with phones getting in the way?

My fiance and I are considering allowing people to take photos, but requesting that they keep them out of the aisles and out of the way of the photographer. Has anyone else done this? Did it work out?

47 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on December 8, 2020 at 9:06 AM
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine
    • Flag
    We didn't do an unplugged ceremony for our minimony and we're leaning towards the same for our big wedding ceremony. We're on the fence because we read a post where someone did an unplugged ceremony and their photographer ended up losing all of their pictures so they had absolutely none from the ceremony 馃ゴ. I know that's probably a low percentage of happening but I would be soooo upset if they did lol

For our minimony we just told people not to post anything until the ceremony was completely over
  • Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly
    • Flag

I am VERY pro-unplugged ceremony!! I have seen far too many professional photos with guests' phones in the way. Keep in mind that even if you tell them to keep them out of the aisles and out of the way, most guests won't abide by that request.

Your photographer will take gorgeous pictures, and you don't want that ruined by a guests' phone sticking out for all to see.

Personally, I find it to be rude to have electronic devices out during a ceremony. It's supposed to be a special moment amongst the couple and their guests. Why not be unplugged and present to enjoy it NOT from behind a screen?

We have it listed on our wedding website under our FAQ section. We've also specified that phones are welcome AFTER the ceremony has ended. Just to make sure that our point gets across, we'll have an 'unplugged ceremony' sign, as well as ushers to politely remind our guests to turn off all electronic devices.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I heard about a similar scenario too!! I'd also be super upset if that happened, but I agree that it's a really low probability (especially since we have a second shooter, and our photographer said that both of them have multiple cameras that they use). For that reason and also for the reason that we'd love to get pictures from the guest perspective, we'd like to allow people to take pictures, but afraid of everyone getting in the way of our photographer. Did you have any issues at your minimony with people getting their phones in the way of the photographer?
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You bring up a lot of good points! I agree that as a guest, it's rude to spend the entire ceremony behind a phone screen. I've never attended a wedding that had an unplugged ceremony, so I've never witnessed whether or not guests respected it or not. My fear is that they'll use their phones regardless of whether we request an unplugged ceremony or not, so we're wondering if we should just allow photos, but try to find a way to make sure people don't block the aisle or our photographer. Have you attended a wedding with an unplugged ceremony? If so, do people generally abide by that request?
  • Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria
    • Flag

Hi!!

I'm planning on doing an unplugged ceremony, but have witnessed my cousin's unplugged ceremony in November! It was amazing! People were actually listening instead of just playing on their phones or worrying about posting pictures of the bride on Instagram. the photographers were able to capture photos easily and more people were able to enjoy the ceremony!

• Victoria
    Devoted June 2021
    Victoria
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes, girl, I totally agree! An unplugged ceremony is the way to go in my opinion!!

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica
    • Flag
    We did an unplugged ceremony. Our photographer, videographer, and officiant highly recommended it. The officiant made an announcement asking everyone to please put their phones away. Our guests honored our request. We made thousands of dollars for two photographers and two videographers that there was no way I wanted guests interfering with their jobs. I've seen photos of weddings where the couple didn't have an unplugged ceremony and guests were getting in the way and it ruined the photos.
  • Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

All of our friends had unplugged ceremonies and they also had a sign up when you entered in for the ceremony. The ones that had ushers also reminded us to make sure all electronic devices were turned off or silenced. We even went to one where the officiant made a small announcement before the ceremony started.

I will say that at all of the weddings, NONE of the guests were on their phones, and no phones went off during the ceremony. I find that if you take all the necessary precautions, guests will abide by your wishes and be respectful.

Not only are we doing this because we want everyone present in the moment, but we also want our photographer and her second shooter respected while they work.

I get wanting photos from your guests' perspective, but personally I'd rather have nice professional photos where everyone is looking at us, rather than photos from a phone, or pro photos with our guests oh their phones!

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No we didn't have any issues at all during our minimony! Our photographer was able to maneuver around and take great shots.
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My fear is always that people will ignore the request and be on their phones the whole time anyway, but it sounds like that's not always the case. I'm glad to hear that your cousin's unplugged ceremony went well, and that guests respected the request! Thank you for your input!
  • F
    Dedicated September 2020
    Furure Mrs.
    • Flag

We chose to have an unplugged ceremony and while most people respected it, my husbands mother and siblings, as well as his best man did not. We had it on our website, had a sign, and had an announcement before the ceremony. I'm still pretty upset about it, especially since they have told me since that they knew we didn't want them taking pictures, but they simply didn't care. The best man had his phone out periodically through the entire ceremony (and he wasn't subtle about it), from walking down the aisle until we left. And my MIL said she thinks her photos are better than our professional ones (they obviously aren't, not even close). Our professional photos turned out beautiful, but some moments weren't as photographed as others because they didn't want to give us a bunch of photos with people's phones in them since they knew it would annoy us.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That is my biggest concern: that people will interfere with the photographer. But I'm also nervous that even if we request an unplugged ceremony, that guests will still use their phones anyway. My fiance and I are torn on the idea, since we'd love to get photos that guests took from their perspective, as well as the ones from our photographer, but we can't think of a way to really enforce our request to keep phones out of the aisles and out of the way of our photographer. So, not sure on whether to do a fully unplugged ceremony or not. I'm glad to hear that it went well at your ceremony and that your guests respected it! I like the idea of asking the officiant to make an announcement. You did give me another idea too, I should check with our photographer to get their thoughts on it as well. Thank you for your input!
  • Rabreena
    Dedicated October 2021
    Rabreena
    • Flag

We are planning to have an unplugged ceremony.
    At first I wanted an ALL unplugged wedding to where it would be thoroughly known that no pictures were to be taken at all during our wedding because of having 2 photographers. Also due to some friends of mine have people trying to take pictures in their wedding pictures and I definitely do not want that to happen to us. So I expressed this to my florist and day-of-coordinator (they work together) they expressed about how the ceremony should absolutely be unplugged, but allow guests to take pictures during the reception.
    So we will have a sign stating that the ceremony will be unplugged, but pictures are allowed at the reception. We haven't decided if we should include that on our invitations yet.

• Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Do you have a wedding website? If so, I'd specify it on there instead of on the invitations! Smiley shame If you don't have a wedding website, you could always include a 'details' card with your invites. I just know that a lot of members on here are very adamant that requests shouldn't be on the invites themselves! But idk much about wedding etiquette, so I could be wrong! 馃槀馃槵

Ours is under the FAQs portion of our website, and when our guests RSVP, there's a small reminder underneath the venue location and dress attire portion!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle
    • Flag
    I didn鈥檛 do unplugged but I will say when I walked down the aisle it was kind of overwhelming seeing some many phones pointed at me
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    All of that makes sense, and good to know that the unplugged request was respected at each wedding! Definitely something to consider, and all excellent points to talk over with my fiance. Thank you for your input!
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Awesome, good to hear!! I'd imagine that most wedding photographers are skilled at moving around and avoiding things that could potentially be distracting in a photo. Thank you for your input!
  • Rabreena
    Dedicated October 2021
    Rabreena
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, we just might do the details card with the invitations that way guests will have the heads up about us wanting to have an unplugged ceremony because we do not have a wedding website.Smiley winking
    My FH isn't keen on idea of it and so anything involving it would have fallen on my shoulders, which wouldn't work because with working at a CPA firm then during those busy times of year I wouldn't have time to update or add info to it.
    Plus I guess we are just a bit old fashion with preferring to do paper invitations and not a website. Smiley smile

• Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome! Hopefully everyone's advice and input helps you both!

Happy planning!

• Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome! We have guests that are older generations, so we have paper invites along with our website for the younger generations! A details card is perfect for your needs then! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles