We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Michelle
Devoted April 2021

Is anyone wearing more then one dress for their wedding?

Michelle, on February 8, 2021 at 11:02 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save

I have my bridal gown I will wear basically the whole time but for the Father/Daughter dance, i will change into the Saree that is below to respect tradition and honor my Indian father. I will change back into my gown after the dance and stay that way the rest of the night. So lets see those pics!

Is anyone wearing more then one dress for their wedding? 1

19 Comments

Latest activity by Gabbysitaxo, on February 18, 2021 at 11:09 AM
  • Shelly
    Rockstar January 2022
    Shelly Online ·
    • Flag

That will be beautiful!

I haven't given it too much thought, but I've toyed around with the idea of getting a two piece outfit! BHLDN has a gorgeous wedding romper that you can pair with an overskirt, and it still looks like a dress. The only way I'd go that route, is if we went barhopping after the wedding so my dress/skirt doesn't get dirty!

• Molly
    Expert May 2022
    Molly ·
    • Flag

That is a wonderful I idea! I will be having a Laotian ceremony the day before and wear the outfit that day, but was trying to figure out when to wear it on the wedding day at the reception.

I haven't figure out the color or style but here are some examples of what I will be wearing.

Is anyone wearing more then one dress for their wedding? 2Is anyone wearing more then one dress for their wedding? 3

Is anyone wearing more then one dress for their wedding? 4

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Traditionally i could have changed into something else but i decided not to since i wanted to be in my gown longer. however i see the appeal of changing outfits because something shorter or easier to wear is better to move around in than a wedding gown

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    In America, this is not done unless the couple is honoring their heritage where this is commonplace (it's a common Asian tradition). Where it is not commonplace, it is seen as ostentatious, expensive, and it really does cut into the limited time frame allowed by venues taking away from time spent celebrating with guests.

For most women, the wedding is one day in their lifetime event and wedding dresses are very expensive and you don't get to wear them a second time so they wear them as long as possible (more than 5 hours with no changing). That also means moving around, dancing etc while trying on dresses to make sure they are able to be worn all day.
  • Sandra
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sandra ·
    • Flag

That is absolutely stunning and seems like a wonderful way to honor your dad. Smiley smile

I considered a reception dress change at midnight if I found something I absolutely fell in love with, but I'll stick with my dress if not because you just have that one night to wear it!

• Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have seen a few jumpers with big skirts over them and they are always so pretty and very practical.

• Sandra
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is so beautiful! I think weddings with elements that demonstrate the uniqueness of the couple are awesome. If you can work this into your reception somehow, I'd totally do it!

• Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Those look beautiful!

I am changing right after my first dance with FH. I have scheduled a slideshow between the dances so it gives me time to change

• Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

O trust me, i want to stay in my dress lol. Spent way to much money on that dress to not end the night in it. I just wanted to take a few minutes to let my Father know I appreciate him

• Ava
    Super May 2022
    Ava Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I absolutely disagree with the statement in America this is not done unless the couple is honoring their heritage. I have had many friends and family members in the US change into a reception dress after their ceremony and it had nothing to do with honoring a heritage. Most of the time it was for comfort. Having two dresses is becoming quite common in the United States.
  • Molly
    Expert May 2022
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you!

• Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I feel like it is common here in America as well or at least what I have seen for brides to have a ceremony dress and a reception dress.

• Molly
    Expert May 2022
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! You're Saree is also beautiful.

Such a great idea to do the dance and have slideshow in between to change.

• Ash
    Dedicated April 2021
    Ash ·
    • Flag
    This is so beautiful!! I wanted to do something like this for my reception because my FH is Indian but we decided to wait until we have another wedding in India to fully appreciate the clothing and traditions. But I bet it's going to be a beautiful priceless moment for you and your dad!!
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    That is stunning! I have not even considered getting another dress. It's getting more common though.
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I'm still toying with the idea of wearing traditional Chinese dress and a second western dress. My wedding is so small that I feel a bit silly buying two dresses. My Cousin changed 3 or 4 times and a friend of mine 5!
  • Jessica
    Devoted February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I’m wearing two dresses. One for ceremony that’s form fitted cathedral length. One for the reception a ball gown fit with illusion lace sleeves
  • Tee
    Dedicated October 2021
    Tee ·
    • Flag
    For my large ceremony I have an overskirt and then I’m wearing the form fitting dress for the reception part. A little 2 in 1 action. I definitely think the 2 dress thing has become the norm.

I especially think it’s wonderful when people honor specific cultural traditions! Love the saree ❤️
  • Gabbysitaxo
    Dedicated October 2021
    Gabbysitaxo ·
    • Flag

Hi!

I am wearing my white wedding dress for the ceremony and for the first dance. Once dinner starts, I will be changing into a traditional pakistani lehenga to honor my future husband's culture, as he is Pakistani. I love my dress so I wanted to push wearing it as long as possible lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics