Katelyn
Beginner October 2020

Invitations/covid-19

Katelyn, on May 29, 2020 at 4:31 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 13
Saved

I am getting married on October 24, 2020 (Hopefully!) The only way that we would postpone would be if the venue cancels. What should I do about invitations? I already had them done before the Covid-19 outbreak. When should I send them out? And when I do send them out, should I add a letter stating that things could change in the foreseeable future? I'm also thinking about adding in the letter that we would be doing a Livestream for the people who can't make it or have to be cut due to restrictions. Thanks in advance!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on June 5, 2020 at 3:13 PM
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

I think you can hold out for 6-8 weeks prior to the wedding to send them. I would include a blurb that you are monitoring the news and safety is your priority... to keep monitoring your website for changes, etc. You will likely know a lot more about being able to go on vs. downsize/postpone closer to your October date. Did you send out Save the Dates so your guests have knowledge of the wedding date?

• Kelsey
    Dedicated October 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

We are Oct. 31 and planning to send invites the first week of August. Most of our guests are out of town, and we also sent save the dates with lots of info about hotel, etc. since it's peak tourism season near our venue.

• Liza
    Dedicated September 2021
    Liza ·
    • Flag

As Jamie wrote, you can wait until 8-6 weeks to send the invitations. I am hoping to get married on September 5th and so plan on sending invitations out the beginning of July. I also hope to have a good sense by then what my chances are of getting to hold my wedding. I think you would also have a good sense 8 weeks from October 24th. If I have to postpone my wedding after the invitations are sent, I plan on just calling everyone and letting them know. I have already been in contact with all of my family and friends keeping them updated on what is happening.

• Trisha
    Super October 2020
    Trisha ·
    • Flag
    Ours Is Oct. 17th And Our Invites Will Be Going Out July/August
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I would wait until 6-8 weeks before the wedding to send out invitations. I don’t find it necessary to mention that things could change because of covid, I think that most people know that all events in the foreseeable future could change.
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Invitations are typically sent 6-8 weeks before your wedding. I got married in October and sent my invitations in August.

If you want to notify your guests that changes may come due to Covid, you can always add an insert. I've seen a few brides do that recently.

• Ali
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Ali ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't wait longer than usual to send them out, but the normal 6-8 weeks is probably fine, especially if you sent save the dates. We sent ours out the first week of May for our July 4th wedding, and I don't think more time would have helped people plan better. If anything, people are waiting until the last minute to respond because the situation is changing so quickly. We added a section to our details card about COVID-19, basically saying that as of now, we're going forward as planned, but that we're closely monitoring the situation and will update guests if there's a change of plans. It hasn't stopped the questions (and unfortunately, judgment), but at least it gives guests a heads up that things could change unexpectedly. Mentioning the livestream is a great idea - it lets guests know that they can still participate even if circumstances prevent them from attending! Good luck!!

• Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Wedding date twins! I’m not planning to send them out till mid/late August. I’m also not planning to postpone at all. If anything, we’ll have a private ceremony and then celebrate at a later date.
  • Kayse
    Expert December 2020
    Kayse ·
    • Flag

I'd wait until six weeks out, and make a decision about what to include closer to that time, when you have more information.

• Jaclyn
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag
    Same! I’m getting married 10/24 in NY my venue and most vendors are saying we will be okay which I’m praying!! I was going to wait until August to send out invites and included a blurb about monitoring the situation and a soft date if we need to postpone. I don’t want to postpone and neither does my fiancé so we are super hopeful and praying we will be able to celebrate (congregate and dance)
  • S
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

We're also waiting (Sept 19, 2020 NYC), even though it is terribly frustrating. I can completely relate.

• Leticia
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Leticia ·
    • Flag
    I am getting married on the 25th and we are doing the same thing unless our venue says we have to postpone we are not. I am sending my invitations next week. I am going to wait for rsvps to see how many people will still be attending. After that I will send a letter to those that will not be there that we will be live streaming. Which we was already doing for my family our of country.
  • Stephanie
    Beginner August 2021
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

I made an insert to include with our invitation. If you're interested, I used the following wording.

"As we all adapt to an uncertain time with COVID-19 (coronavirus), we are monitoring the news carefully. We are prepared to take every precaution necessary to make our wedding safe for our guests, even if that means postponing it. Currently, our wedding is happening as planned, and we look forward to celebrating with you all on {insert wedding date}!

At this point, we've been advised that an {wedding month} wedding should be safe. Please RSVP and book your accommodations as you normally would, but check first for a lenient cancellation policy, which most hotels and airlines are happy to provide in light of current events. That being said, the safety of our guests is our utmost priority. Please check our website and national and local public health websites regularly for updates. Please contact us directly with any questions – our contact information is below. Thank you for your love, patience, and concern."

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics