J
Savvy July 2020

Invitation wording

Jakia, on February 26, 2020 at 9:37 PM Posted in Planning 0 18
Saved Save
We are having an adults only ceremony and reception. What is the best way to word this on the invitation?

For the attire, I’m thinking of saying ‘Formal Attire.’ My friend suggested to say ‘Formal Reception to Follow’ instead of saying Formal Attire. My point is I want guests to know the dress code and not show up in jeans or sneakers. (Believe me there are some people who will.) What are your suggestions for which way to word it?

18 Comments

• Rachael
    Expert September 2020
    Rachael ·
    • Flag
    If you want formal attire then you should put formal if you want suits and long gowns. I think formal reception to follow is good wording. Instead of listing adult only just be sure to specially name who's invited on the inner envelope. If you made a wedding site you can more informally put it's adults only and a formal affair
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    Formal attire sounds good. I would state that the wedding is adults only. I have seen Brides vent that they didn't put that and tried other methods and people assumed their kids could come. Be transparent so no one tries anything.
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sadly people do not read those sites. I don't. Best to state on invitation so they know. I have seen not staying that backfire and people try to rsvp their kids. Brides wish they did state it.
  • J
    Savvy July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly that’s my point. I absolutely do not want people trying to bring kids or coming dress inappropriately.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    The best way I’ve seen to convey adults only is I had a friend put ___ of ___ adults attending on the RSVP card. Also address it to just the adults. I wouldn’t put anything about attire unless you’re having a black tie wedding. I would just make sure your invitations are formal and no graphics or anything.
  • J
    Savvy July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agreed Kristen! There are many of our guests who will not look at the website. I just don’t want anyone thinking that it’s cool for them to bring kids or whatever.
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I feel nicely be up front so they know. I agree with Rachel too place the names of those invited and maybe on the rsvp state that they are invited to an adultd only wedding or may an 18+ wedding and reception, pending the age you prefer. Maybe on the website restate and even say while you love kids the wedding is adults only and hope that parents will still attend (or some better wording lol)
  • J
    Savvy July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Kristen! We will indicate the blank of blank seats on the response card. And yes our invitations are formal and will be addressed only to the adults.
  • J
    Savvy July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay I will add that to our website as well. Thanks! 😊
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agree with all of this. Your venue and invitation should convey the formality of the event.
  • Kristen
    Rockstar November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That might be a discreet but up front way too.
  • S
    December 2020
    Shelly ·
    • Flag

The invitation should specifically say "Formal (or Semi-Formal) Adult Only Ceremony and Reception"

If you don't spell it out in the invitation you will have problems.

• Eshell
    Devoted January 2021
    Eshell ·
    • Flag
    Well we are being very specific on invitations and RSVP card. We have reserved 2 seats in your honor. And names will be listed. No time for people to assume their children is invited. Our wedding website said to please adhere to the number of seats reserved per household . Our invitation company been in business over 30 years they were very helpful in ensuring we had the EXPLICIT and direct wording. Also I will be making calls for each RSVP per household. The teacher in me ohhhh I have No problem addressing the situation nicely on head count.
  • Onya
    Devoted April 2021
    Onya ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I️ really Like this! We’re having an adult only wedding as well. Will definitely take this approach.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I've never seen attire listed on an invite, only on websites. The only time I've seen it referred to on a website is a black tie wedding so "black tie formal" referred to more than just dress code.

• J
    Savvy July 2020
    Jakia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hahah Eshell we think just alike. That’s the teacher in me too. I did indicate that on the rsvp card. I will update our wedding website too.
  • Eshell
    Devoted January 2021
    Eshell ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes lady ! Like we really can’t afford to give families of 5 a plated meal for $150.00 change sorry .... moreover , everybody and their children. We are very fine and will be okay with declines.
  • Eshell
    Devoted January 2021
    Eshell ·
    • Flag
    EACH at that too...

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics