Whippppss
Dedicated September 2018

Inlaws? Cousins? Aunts? Name terminology...

Whippppss, on October 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 12
Saved

My FH has a niece. Therefore when we get married his niece will become my niece.

What's the proper terminology for my parents to my FH's niece/my future niece?

Great aunt/uncle?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Constance, on October 29, 2017 at 10:27 PM
  • firstoneat56
    Master August 2017
    firstoneat56 ·
    • Flag

Not sure where you would need this but I'd say Grand Uncle/Aunt. Although Uncle/Aunt are fine. I still call my niece's daughter my niece.

• Bulbasaur
    Devoted September 2020
    Bulbasaur ·
    • Flag

I don't think there is a term for extended in-laws. I don't consider my sister's in-laws mine, and refuse to call her mother-in-law "mom" even though she wants me to.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

I don't think there really is a name for that relation because it's not an actual relation. To your new niece, she would just refer to your parents as her "Aunt Whippppss' mom and dad."

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·
    • Flag

If it helps any, my cousins on my dad's side always referred to my mom's parents by their first names or just called them the grandparent nickname I used for them. I think as we all got older, they have gravitated towards using their first names.

• Future Mrs.N
    Super November 2018
    Future Mrs.N ·
    • Flag

There really isnt a need to attach a title to it, either mr and mrs whatever or by their first name

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

When I grew up, "Aunt" and "Uncle" were often used for close friends of the family--too old to use their first names, but too close to be called "Mr. and Mrs." So if the children actually know them, that would be appropriate. But I could not name the parents of any of my aunts and uncles by marriage, so the question has never come up.

• stephanie
    Super October 2017
    stephanie ·
    • Flag

I have not been in this situation, but I call my great-aunts "aunt" and my dad's cousin my cousin, so I think she would be fine to just call your parents her aunt/uncle or cousin, either one, if she considers them like family.

Biologically only one person can call me "aunt," but a few of my friends' kids call me Aunt Stephanie/Tia Stephanie. Also I call various people aunt/uncle who aren't biologically related.

• Tanisha
    Savvy June 2018
    Tanisha ·
    • Flag

I think just aunt and uncle are fine. Maybe she will come up with a cute nickname for them.

• Marie
    Devoted May 2018
    Marie ·
    • Flag

No relation

• Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·
    • Flag

They're not her family, so just their names are fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics