We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Erin
Just Said Yes March 2021

Incorporating Child into Ceremony

Erin, on August 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 9
Saved Save

Hi All!

I have a ten year old daughter so my fiance will also officially be becoming step-dad on our wedding day.

Any ideas as to how to incorporate our commitment to her as a parent team in the ceremony?

Smiley heart

9 Comments

Latest activity by Breann, on August 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

A family unity ceremony would be sweet! Maybe your FH can write vows to your daughter?

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I agree with pp - a unity ceremony would be adorable

• Molly
    Devoted August 2021
    Molly ·
    • Flag

When my cousin was getting married, it was to his son's stepmom. For the wedding, they did a sand ceremony, where each of the three had a different color. His wife had been in their lives pretty much the entire time his son has been alive. His son was almost 3 so he doesn't remember much about it but, it was quite heartwarming. The sand container was around a picture frame in which they placed a picture from their wedding inside.

• Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I have seen people do family vows, they are really sweet and touching! They did them on an episode of the netflix show say I do surprise weddings and I lost it.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé and I are doing a unity ceremony! Our son will also be a ring bearer
  • Samantha
    Devoted September 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I cry every episode ! Lol it’s such a sweet show.
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    One site I saw..may have been Offbeatbride.com or a random officiant site suggested doing a reading about family that is significant to you and combining each of your favorite candies into a larger vase.
  • Lisa
    Super October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

We went to a wedding where the husband would be officially the wife's daughter's step-dad. Right after the couple's First Dance, they did a Family Dance. It was cute.

Also, as others have said, a family unity ceremony with sand or glass.

• Breann
    Devoted June 2020
    Breann ·
    • Flag

We did a sand ceremony, and she (my step daughter, 11) did a first look with her dad. I baked the cake with her and let her ice it, and I asked for her input as much as possible in the planning process. I wrote vows to her as a new parent in her life, which I kept a secret from both of them until the officiant handed me the vow book.

For us, our wedding day was about becoming a family and not just about us as a couple, and her as the "add-on". I think the kids should be included as much as possible!

We eloped at an Airbnb, and here's the link to photos if you're interested:

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/elopement-so-worth-it/627d7988aff73599.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics