Ashleigh
Savvy December 2024

Inclusive terms?

Ashleigh, on February 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 13
Saved

Hi all! I'm creating a custom day of checklist maker and I'll have a place for each spouse to put their name. The thing is, I was going to put "bride" and "groom" there but I want to be inclusive of same sex couples as well. "Spouse 1" and "spouse 2" feels a little sterile. What should I put?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on February 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM
  • Earazona_
    Dedicated October 2024
    Earazona_ ·
    • Flag
    I would put spouse 1 & 2. I've seen some books that say Partner 1 & 2. You could do either or.
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    Bride/Groom and Bride/Groom?
    Although that could potentially still be an issue for anyone who is non gender conforming.
  • Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag

Oh I like Partner! I'm not sure why Spouse is rubbing me the wrong way. hm. Thanks for the help guys :-)

• Hope
    Dedicated August 2020
    Hope ·
    • Flag
    I’m not following.. I have no idea what you’re talking about- I am so out of the loop LOL
    What about name/name?
  • Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Lol Hope it's all good. I'm just talking about a product I'm making, this thing that'll make a custom day-of wedding checklist for couples, and I want it to have a place for the couple to put their name. I just don't want to label one spot "bride" and one spot "groom" because that will leave out same sex couples. I just don't want them to feel uncomfortable or not included or anything, so I'm trying to figure out language that's more inclusive, that's all.

• Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag

I hope that made it make more sense! :-D

• Hope
    Dedicated August 2020
    Hope ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aaaahhhhh okay, yes, now I get it lol
    Thank you for the explanation!
    What about Your Name/Partner’s NameBecause I’m assuming one person will be filing it out, even if two people are filling it out together there’s usually one who takes the reins...If that makes sense.
  • Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OH that's perfect! Thank you so much!!!

• Sophie
    Devoted June 2021
    Sophie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Such a good idea!

• Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Haha the inclusivity or the custom checklist? LOL

• Ashleigh
    Savvy December 2024
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OHHHHH you quoted a comment and it was neither!! **Scampers away** No one saw that! lol

• Sophie
    Devoted June 2021
    Sophie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hahahaha. The inclusivity, the check list, and Hope's suggestion are ALL good ideas!! Smiley winking

• Jessica
    Devoted February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I would still make it brides or grooms saying spouse one and spouse two is not inclusive or friendly might be considered offensive even - they are both brides or both grooms. Acknowledgement of their commitment to each other as you would straight couples will make them feel as if you appreciate their commitment just as much as they do

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics