We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Shania
Devoted September 2021

Inappropriate wedding music

Shania, on February 18, 2020 at 1:41 AM

Posted in Wedding Reception 29

My fiancé and I just booked our DJ and he let us know that we can send him songs that we want to hear at the wedding. So, I like to turn up and listen to artists like City Girls, Meg the Stallion, Cardi B, Doja Cat, etc. Would it really be a bad thing to play some songs I like even though they are...
My fiancé and I just booked our DJ and he let us know that we can send him songs that we want to hear at the wedding. So, I like to turn up and listen to artists like City Girls, Meg the Stallion, Cardi B, Doja Cat, etc. Would it really be a bad thing to play some songs I like even though they are inappropriate? My mom says I shouldn’t because the whole family will be there but I was like so 🙄 but now thinking about it, it got me thinking maybe I shouldn’t lol

29 Comments

• Shania
    Devoted September 2021
    Shania ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s exactly what I was thinking too. Most of these songs are on the radio so we can just play the edited version
  • Ebony
    Beginner July 2020
    Ebony ·
    • Flag

Haha this is so funny to me because I thought of the same issue! DJ's should always keep EDITED versions of songs they play at special events. I feel like anything SUPER graphic may offend your guests and you don't want to do that so X those...BUUUTTTT you deserve to have a great time too! In my opinion playing the radio/edit versions of some of those artists is fine! 9 times out of 10 people don't know what they are saying anyways they just dance! haha

• Shania
    Devoted September 2021
    Shania ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’m just trying to have a good time 😫😂 it’s the white side of my family that my momma worried about but I feel like everyone else will be good😂 a majority of my family is Haitian and Mexican they always just trying to dance to whatever bumpin🤣 tenor.gif

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

We played Cardi B. When she came on, everyone started singing and hit the dance floor. I think its fine. If you're really worried about certain songs, ask for "mild" edited versions. They leave out F bombs and GD.

• Laura
    Beginner April 2021
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I had the same thought but my mom advised me if they don't like it who cares. In the being of the reception I plan to play regular music that everyone can dance too then mix up with some Caribbean music ( i love Vybz Kartel, so I definitely be playing a clean mix) then mix it back to some hip hop then at the end some family music

• Michelle
    Beginner October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I'm a dance teacher, and I KNOW I'm going to want to DANCE at my wedding! I would be so upset if no one wanted me to play the music I love to dance to on my special day... I say let the DJ play some of the music you love to jam to. To suit the people attending, opt for cleaner versions. I'm planning on including "Song Requests" on my invitations to adhere to their interests too. Maybe you could consider doing the same?

• Andrea
    Master October 2021
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

I like listening to some of Cardi's tracks and some are on our wedding play list, along with other popular rap/r&b artists. We're just using clean versions of their songs. I'm also from a Caribbean background like Rebelle. All of my family members are from Jamaica and my fiance's fam is from St. Vincent & Guyana. They will be expecting reggae and some soca, and we're playing whatever the heck we want. HAHA! But the super inappropriate songs we've either cut out or we've requested clean versions

• Tanyia
    Expert February 2020
    Tanyia ·
    • Flag

There are SOOOO many songs that are inappropriate on the radio nowadays that it seems to be fine. "Clean versions" can still be on inappropriate topics. You can't win on who thinks what is acceptable. We will have Spanish and English music at our wedding and I can't lie that I won't have some Bad Bunny and then some, playing... LOLLLL

• T
    Savvy June 2020
    Traci ·
    • Flag
    Our reception is till 11. We have a shuttle going back to the hotel at 10 for all the old folks and anyone else that wants to leave early. During that hour we are gonna play all our ratchet music and turn up. Is that an option for you?

Comment on this discussion