Sahar
Just Said Yes August 2019

I’m undecided!!!

Sahar, on July 1, 2019 at 1:23 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 14
Saved Save
Should dinner at the reception be served after all the dances, or before dancing?
I will be having cocktail hour from 7-7:30pm (appetizers will be served)
Would it be to long of a wait for my guests to eat at 9pm??

14 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I would do dinner before so guests don’t get hungry waiting. We did dinner first.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

9 PM seems late for dinner. We went to a wedding where the cocktail hour started at 7:30 PM, dinner was served around 10:30 PM. Even though cocktail hour had a ton of food, it was WAY too late and we were starving/exhausted by dinner. We did our first dance upon introductions, guests were seated to a plated salad during our dance. Then they went to the buffet, then speeches, then parent dances at the end opened the dance floor.

• Nemo
    VIP August 2018
    Nemo ·
    • Flag

We did: grand entrance, speeches, dinner, cake cutting, dances. 9 is way too late to be starting dinner.

• Nikita
    VIP April 2019
    Nikita ·
    • Flag

I agree with above. 9 pm is very late for dinner. Kidding, even your cocktail hour is rather late start time. A lot of people I know pointedly stop eating by the time that your cocktail hour is just beginning! By 9 pm, your guests would likely be famished.

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

Yes, it would be too long for your guests to eat at 9pm. Have them eat before dances. You could start the dances while people are still eating, but I would wait until everyone has had a chance to get food.

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Woah 9p is super late. I went to a wedding where dinner serves at 8 and I was already like God this is so late
  • Stephanie
    Dedicated May 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Suggest you do it before and 9 pm is too late for dinner. Last thing you want are hangry guests.

• Sahar
    Sahar ·
    • Flag
    Thank you all so much for your feed back!!!
    I literally have no clue what I’m doing (clearly)😂
    Middle eastern weddings normally start at 7/7:30! So that’s the only reason why dinner would be so late either way😅😅😅
    Im contemplating a late dinner because my photographer has me on a specific limit! (4 continuous hours, starting from “Getting Ready” up until the Reception. So my fear would be that ill be out of time to capture the dances I want
    Dances:
    First Dance
    Mom Daughter Dance
    Traditional Dance

• Sahar
    Sahar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lmao. Oh gosh no😂
  • Sahar
    Sahar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    10:30😱😱
    I like your timeline! Will take that into consideration for sure
  • Sahar
    Sahar ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your suggestion!!!🥰🥰
  • Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    I agree with previous posters, 9 for dinner is too late.

we’re doing: grand entrance/welcome speech at 7:30, dinner at 7:45, and all danced after dinner (around 8:30).
  • Sahar
    Sahar ·
    • Flag
    Nice!! Okay noted!!! Thank you so much🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag

As a guest who went to my FH's cousin's wedding that was heavy on apps (I am talking buffet tables miles long of apps) then served a filet mignon dinner I was not hungry by dinner, which was served very very late around 9pm. I wasn't interested in eating dinner that late and ate too many apps lol. I would do the dinner before dancing for sure! With only a half hour for cocktails and apps you should be fine serving dinner right after that

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics