Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
VIP September 2017

I'm the moh for my sil and hosting her shower, need to know how to handle small parking fee for guests

Kelsey, on April 28, 2021 at 8:56 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 12

Hey guys! Been a while since I posted - I got married in 2017 and was super active here for 2 years leading up to that. So much so I was a mod at some point haha. I always loved how this forum, unlike all my local Facebook groups, gave it to you straight about etiquette, so I'm here to collect some opinions on an unfortunate part about the wedding shower I am hosting for my sister in law.

With COVID, our options were super limited. She has had some involvement with the shower and fell in love with our idea of having a little breakfast on the beach with her bridal party and very close family (about 20 people). We also had a limited option for local beaches and went with one we are all familiar with and were okay with us having this little get together.

Unfortunately, it has a $10 parking fee. I emailed them asking if I could pre-pay the fee for all of our guests, but they told me their new system will be handheld units that print out receipts to put on your dashboard, so it's not possible to do so. They mentioned getting in touch with them two weeks prior to the event, but with no other information (nothing like "we'll see what we can do for you" or anything).

My question here is do I include a little card with the invitation (which are already printed, addressed, and ready to go) mentioning this potential fee? Like "The host is working with "Xxxx Beach" on paying for your parking pass, but in the event this isn't possible, the fee is $10." Or just not mention it and chalk it up to just a normal part about being in a tourist town?

I don't know what the least tacky thing would be here. Moving locations is 100% not an option, it was hard enough getting to this point.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Melle, on April 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM
  • Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    As a guest I would appreciate being forewarned. Not everyone carries cash in case that is the only way to pay. I would never assume it was customary for a tourist town. It’s not ideal but the least inconvenient/rude (hate the T word) option if they won’t allow you to pay ahead which is crazy.
  • mrswinteriscoming
    Rockstar December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

If I am driving to any event I will always anticipate that (a) parking may not be readily available and (b) paid parking may be an or the only option. I particularly expect this if it is an area that is foreign to me so I try to research where I am going to find out my options in advance.

I don’t really think it is that much of any issue that is even worth mentioning at all to the guests. If anyone has a gripe with $10 parking then they can find parking elsewhere and walk to the beach.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2017
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

I do believe people will be able to pay with cards - I can actually confirm this with the beach if I shoot them an email. I think because of COVID, they're getting rid of the one-manned booth and putting in the parking system like I've seen in the next town over.

Even if both payment methods are an option, do you think it would still be polite to include that little card?

Also I have to laugh at your distain for the "T word" because I also HATED it while I was active here hahaha. I wasn't sure how much has changed in like 5 years lol.

• Michelle
    Rockstar December 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Definitely give a heads up with the card. People can do with the info what they will.
  • Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a nice gesture to give people a heads up. I doubt anyone will have a problem with it.
  • B
    VIP July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I would expect to pay for parking at the beach, but a head's up on the amount would definitely be appreciated.

• Catherine
    Expert March 2023
    Catherine ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I would expect to pay for my own parking and wouldn’t mind paying for it at all. However a heads up would be amazing. I’m the type of person who looks up parking garages before hand to try to find out how much they are. So knowing “okay this one is $10” would just be so easy.
  • J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Definitely give the heads up. I don't think you necessarily need to pay for the parking... and if you did figure out a way to do it, it would be very kind and generous. Just give the information ahead of time so people are prepared. I bet people go out enough to know sometimes that parking has to be paid for in situations such as this. I would be so delighted to be invited to something like this I wouldn't even care about the parking (but knowing about it ahead of time is definitely appreciated!)

• A
    Expert September 2022
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

It's so sweet of you to try to pay for guests' parking, and it's very considerate to give them a heads up, just in case you're not able to arrange it with the parking authority. And if it's cash only or card only, that'd be nice to include. Other than that, I really like how you originally worded it!

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2017
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your thoughts! I've designed the card insert and will be getting them printed today! Smiley smile

• M
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I absolutely think it's fine to warn them there is a parking fee and maybe even give any options for near by parking if they don't want to do that lot. but i don't think you need to pay it for them so long as you warned them about it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics